What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

Toothless viper
FmCIt16aMAIEBPy

There was no social media back in those days, remember reading it in the Jang newspaper something to the effect that F-16s are stranded in KSA as PAF is refusing to accept them due to them having less capable radar than the standard one. Some aviation magazine also said that first transatlantic experience for a few PAF pilots as some of them flew as GIBS from Fort Worth.

—---——---------------------------------------
PAF F-16 C/D Block-52 Vipers, formating on a USAF KC-135 Stratotanker for refueling during the Red Flag Exercise.

View attachment 910459
Negative about the transatlantic flight, that was done with the Block 52+ deliveries. The Block 15s first batch were flown over with GD & USAF pilots to Saudi Arabia for Peace Gate I, and then it was handed over to PAF pilots.

Also, fantastic picture. Looks like a capture from a video.

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. — During a Dec. 9 flight over the Mojave Desert, an Air Force pilot handed control of a special, highly-modified F-16 over to an artificial intelligence system that autonomously piloted the plane. Less than two hours later, that same F-16 took to the skies again for a second flight test of a completely different AI.

With those first two flights, the Air Force has now unlocked a new capability that will allow the service to rapidly flight test autonomy software regardless of which organization or company has developed it, make quick improvements to the algorithms based on the results of that testing, and then reload the AI and fly again within a matter of hours.

Such is the power of the X-62A — also known as the NF-16D Variable In-flight Simulator Aircraft, or more simply as VISTA — a bespoke version of the F-16D that has been flying since the 1990s but recently was upgraded to be a testbed for different autonomy software cores.

7568125-scaled-e1672170273614-1536x863.jpg

With AI still a nascent technology, VISTA’s ability to churn through flight tests could be critical for the Air Force. The service could begin a program of record for a Collaborative Combat Aircraft, its term for an autonomous combat drone, as early as fiscal 2024, Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall said in September. With plans to field CCA drones in the mid to late 2020s,the service will need to do everything in its power to drive out risk and prove that drones can safely and effectively be controlled by AI.

“I can fly the [X-62A] aircraft twice a day,” said Chris Cotting, director of research for the Air Force Test Pilot School, which owns the X-62. “If I want to change something, I just go out to the aircraft and change it, and then the aircraft itself acts as its own ground simulator. So I can very rapidly change software.”

----------------------------------------------------

FmAspzvakAAMiik

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. — During a Dec. 9 flight over the Mojave Desert, an Air Force pilot handed control of a special, highly-modified F-16 over to an artificial intelligence system that autonomously piloted the plane. Less than two hours later, that same F-16 took to the skies again for a second flight test of a completely different AI.

With those first two flights, the Air Force has now unlocked a new capability that will allow the service to rapidly flight test autonomy software regardless of which organization or company has developed it, make quick improvements to the algorithms based on the results of that testing, and then reload the AI and fly again within a matter of hours.

Such is the power of the X-62A — also known as the NF-16D Variable In-flight Simulator Aircraft, or more simply as VISTA — a bespoke version of the F-16D that has been flying since the 1990s but recently was upgraded to be a testbed for different autonomy software cores.

7568125-scaled-e1672170273614-1536x863.jpg

With AI still a nascent technology, VISTA’s ability to churn through flight tests could be critical for the Air Force. The service could begin a program of record for a Collaborative Combat Aircraft, its term for an autonomous combat drone, as early as fiscal 2024, Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall said in September. With plans to field CCA drones in the mid to late 2020s,the service will need to do everything in its power to drive out risk and prove that drones can safely and effectively be controlled by AI.

“I can fly the [X-62A] aircraft twice a day,” said Chris Cotting, director of research for the Air Force Test Pilot School, which owns the X-62. “If I want to change something, I just go out to the aircraft and change it, and then the aircraft itself acts as its own ground simulator. So I can very rapidly change software.”

----------------------------------------------------

FmAspzvakAAMiik
Is that an AGM 65? I thought we had spent those or probably expired since the 80s. This must be a new acquisition. 👍

A great click to cheer you up on this eventful day.
23rd March 2017...
📸 HFK

Ffm-ielWYAEOWqu

Shahbaz-1, Air Marshal Sohail Aman's F-16D Block 52+ belonging to 5 MR Squadron Falcons positions behind F-16A/B Block 15 MLU formation from 9 MR Squadron Griffins, ready to dash into parade venue, ..

As people realise this what do u think is the future of American defence sales?

Ummmm nice own goal

the American sales will never be affected by this. Countries line up to have access to American military hardware. the benefits far outweigh this one limitation with is not appecalbe anyway, why would a country dependent on American defense hardware and trade with America would find itself having to fight the Americans? there is only one mad example but its an exception and not the rule.

PAF-351883985.jpg

The second edition of the Peace Drive program, which started in October 2010, was due completion by September 2014. The required parts, materials and technical data was given to TUSAS as part of another contract between the U.S. government and the Pakistani Air Force.
https://www.f-16.net/f-16-news-article4885.html

Back
Top Bottom