What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

This is more of a air to ground raid than a air-air combat......with the tech in F-16s, it should be a walk in the park.
You have the target.......you designate it and bam. That's what all those those pods/sensors are for.....unless UAE doesn't have info on where to target....because then you should be seriously thinking if this is your war or not.
My friend UAE has a very small population....
Because of idiotic comments of that UAE minister everyone in Pak is really pissed of
Dear 1.5 million Pakistani's are working in the UAE...they dont care if Pakistani's are pissed or wat...

well they have to only we have power to stop Iran.
Bhai.
Please dont go off on Tangents. It will derail the thread. What UAE govtt does is none of PAF or F16s business. Keep it tight and on track otherwise so many threads get derailed.
Araz

PAF is very proficient in F16 ops with any block type

Agreed Nice share.one of my friend told me that during 2008 standoff he along with his co will spent nights sitting in cockpit,ready for scramble call.
That is not necessary and actually can negatively affect pilot's performance in the event of a quick launch and flight.

I am NOT saying your friend lied. But back during the Cold War, I pulled Victor Alert duty at RAF Upper Heyford (F-111E) and I know there are several degrees of 'alert'.

The F-111 is a two-man crew and at the lowest level of alert, pilots must be in flight suits at all time and cannot be more than 30 minutes travel time from the VA area. It mean they can go shopping, to the gym, or if a pilot live on base, he can even go home for some booty, but if the horn sounds, all VA crews have to be on their jets in 30 min or less and g-suit up.

A higher degree of alert mean the crew must be in the vicinity of the VA shelter that contains their jet. Basically, it mean they can fly in 15 min or less. They can even be outside the shelter without their g-suits, but they must be present in the area.

The highest degree of alert mean the crew is suited up, in their jets, and with engines running. All VA crews just waiting for the squawk to taxi and launch. By this time, INS-es are fully warmed and target cartridges fully initialized. If the launch squawk come, pilots and WSOs must authenticate the launch code and voice acknowledge before they can taxi. We have gone to that level before. Today, we can admit such times did happened, but back then, it was punishable under the UCMJ to reveal when we ever had that level of alert.

Sitting in the cramped cockpit for long just waiting is physically and mentally bad for the pilot. Inactivity pools the blood in the body's lower region and can affect thinking. In the early days of the Cold War, we actually did have pilots in the cockpits of B-52s, refuel tankers, and AWACs, but we found out there were no benefits of any kind to it. There is a lot of medical literature about this.

When I was transferred to the F-16 and stationed at MacDill, which was an F-16 training base, like Luke, I heard that F-15 crews in Europe often reduced launch times by having crew chiefs runs the starboard engine and fully warmed up every systems. The pilot would be all suited up, helmet on, and waiting under port wing. The reason is because the cockpit ladder is on the port side. When the launch order came, pilot and crew chief would quickly swap places, crew chief would help the pilot to fully hook up, the pilot would start the port engine, and away he go. Depending on the waiting period, sometime the jets would hit the 'hot pit' area to top off any fuel before they hit the runways.

Could not do this with the F-16 because of its single engine. We could use an external generator, called the 'Dash 60', to at least fully initialize the INS, but that would be the safety limit. The down side is that we do not have enough -60s for every jet.

That is not necessary and actually can negatively affect pilot's performance in the event of a quick launch and flight.

I am NOT saying your friend lied. But back during the Cold War, I pulled Victor Alert duty at RAF Upper Heyford (F-111E) and I know there are several degrees of 'alert'.

The F-111 is a two-man crew and at the lowest level of alert, pilots must be in flight suits at all time and cannot be more than 30 minutes travel time from the VA area. It mean they can go shopping, to the gym, or if a pilot live on base, he can even go home for some booty, but if the horn sounds, all VA crews have to be on their jets in 30 min or less and g-suit up.

A higher degree of alert mean the crew must be in the vicinity of the VA shelter that contains their jet. Basically, it mean they can fly in 15 min or less. They can even be outside the shelter without their g-suits, but they must be present in the area.

The highest degree of alert mean the crew is suited up, in their jets, and with engines running. All VA crews just waiting for the squawk to taxi and launch. By this time, INS-es are fully warmed and target cartridges fully initialized. If the launch squawk come, pilots and WSOs must authenticate the launch code and voice acknowledge before they can taxi. We have gone to that level before. Today, we can admit such times did happened, but back then, it was punishable under the UCMJ to reveal when we ever had that level of alert.

Sitting in the cramped cockpit for long just waiting is physically and mentally bad for the pilot. Inactivity pools the blood in the body's lower region and can affect thinking. In the early days of the Cold War, we actually did have pilots in the cockpits of B-52s, refuel tankers, and AWACs, but we found out there were no benefits of any kind to it. There is a lot of medical literature about this.
You are right sir but they would take turns manning the cockpit,but in our case that was base which is operational only during stand off,but it is still a vital base it is just 50km away from fully operational enemy Airbase,and it's nearest fully ops PAF base is 130+km away rest i agree with you it has effects on health.

When I was transferred to the F-16 and stationed at MacDill, which was an F-16 training base, like Luke, I heard that F-15 crews in Europe often reduced launch times by having crew chiefs runs the starboard engine and fully warmed up every systems. The pilot would be all suited up, helmet on, and waiting under port wing. The reason is because the cockpit ladder is on the port side. When the launch order came, pilot and crew chief would quickly swap places, crew chief would help the pilot to fully hook up, the pilot would start the port engine, and away he go. Depending on the waiting period, sometime the jets would hit the 'hot pit' area to top off any fuel before they hit the runways.

Could not do this with the F-16 because of its single engine. We could use an external generator, called the 'Dash 60', to at least fully initialize the INS, but that would be the safety limit. The down side is that we do not have enough -60s for every jet.
what about APU sir.

Back
Top Bottom