What's new

Pakistan F-16 Discussions 2

Fatman I also read initially that we were getting the 9m-8/9 ....now I hear its the 9-M-1/2 ....any idea which is it?

I think this might clear things up ...

In October 2005, DID covered an order for 300 AIM-9M Sidewinders by Pakistan. According to Raytheon, the October 2005 purchase represented the first sale of the AIM-9Ms to Pakistan, and a January 2007 contract to modify the stockpile to AIM-9M-9 status completed that process.

DID has also covered a $650 million weapons package request placed in June 2006, that included another 200 AIM-9M-8/9 missiles. It is in turn part of a $5.1 billion upgrade & expansion of Pakistan’s F-16 fleet. That request would appear to be covered by this contract, and at $107,000 per missile (compare to $172,475 for a new AIM-9X) the upgrade seems more like a purchase with possible trade-in.

Source : Multinational Orders for AIM-9M Sidewinder Upgrades

Pakistan to receive first four of 18 upgraded F-16s from US
June 23, 2010

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will receive the first four of 18 upgraded F-16s from the US this week and the multi-role combat jets will give its air force the capability to conduct night operations and use precision-guided munitions.

The four Block 52 F-16s are due to arrive at Shahbaz airbase in Jacobabad on Saturday, official sources were quoted as saying by the Dawn newspaper.

The delivery of all 18 jets ordered by Pakistan from the US will be completed by the end of this year, the sources said.

The jets will enhance Pakistan Air Force's capabilities for the ongoing war against terror, the sources were quoted as saying.

Pakistan is also conducting negotiations with the US for purchasing another 14 new F-16s, the sources said.

The Block 52 F-16s are more advanced than the F-16 A/B jets in the PAF's existing fleet.

The PAF is in the process of conducting a mid-life upgrade of its fleet of 30-year-old F-16s.

Four of the 45 old F-16s are currently being upgraded and they will be ready in a couple of months, the sources said.

Ahead of the delivery of the Block 52 F-16s, eight Pakistani pilots underwent training in the US.

The training included a course to make the transition from the F-16 A/B to the F-16 Block C/D aircraft, flight lead upgrade training and instructor pilot certification so that they eight pilots could train others to fly the new jets.

Pak to receive first four of 18 upgraded F-16s from US - Pakistan - World - The Times of India

^^^^^^^^

the indian media title is confusing and ''off'' a bit

Yes we are receiving 4/18 aircrafts. Those are brand new aircrafts.

We happen to have approx. 42 older F-16s to undergo upgradation. Therefore this title is confusing and may throw people off.

Just wanted to clarify.

IAF gets feel of latest Pak fighter aircraft

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has got a feel of Pakistan’s most modern fighter aircraft during a multi-nation exercise in France even before the aircraft have been delivered to the Pakistani Air Force (PAF).

Later this week, Pakistan will get its most modern fighter aircraft when the US delivers the first four of the advanced Block 52 F 16 aircraft as part of a deal to upgrade its military.

However, the IAF has sparred with the Block 52 version of the fighter — which is considered to be a generation ahead of the existing F 16 fleet of the PAF — during Exercise Garuda that is currently underway at the Istres Air Base in France. The IAF, which has deployed its SU 30MKI fighters for the exercise, has conducted aerial duels and joint missions to fully gauge the capabilities of the ‘enemy’ fighter. Pakistan is to get 18 of the Block 52 versions of the F 16 fighters under a deal with the US.
What could be the significance of such intro.

Last edited:
I understand those were Pakistani F-16!! is it correct?
Please... clarify!

What could be the significant of such intro.

The IAF have encountered the Block-52s before against RSAF (Singapore Air Force) and the USAF (in the 2nd Cope India at least).

What it means, I believe, is that now they have first hand info of the platform's pros & cons ... based on which they may be well into their processes of analyzing & devising strategies & tactics to counter it.

Just my 2 cents.

Also how would they be going up against the exact Fighter Planes that are meant for Pakistan? And that too in a multi-national exercise in France?

These are more likely the same type. Which is nothing new as the IAF has gone up against the Block-52 before as I have mentioned in my previous post.

We know even in red flag SU30 was up against F-16 but i just wanted clarification of news as they quoted Pakistani F-16.

Its just block 52 F16, not even sure if it has the same specs as Pak F16. The report says that IAF actually took sorties in them ..to familiarise itself with the plane....Maybe thats why.

What could be the significance of such intro.

Please understand that this is a "FEEL GOOD" story for Indian consumption . The F-16 used by Singapor Air Force have been used in excercises between Singapore and India before. So nothing new.

Fortunately, Pakistan has never shown or shared its flying tactics with Singapore.

Indians must say something to overcome their anxieties.

Many thanks for taking the trouble.. Sir.
It helped..

Many thanks for taking the trouble.. Sir.
It helped..

Thanks. Comparing the RSAF with Pakistan is a joke. Many are not even aware of the strange deployment of RSAF. 70% of its F-16 Blk-52 and 100% of F-15s are based in USA as foreign detachments and used for training and not in Singapore.

Thanks. Comparing the RSAF with Pakistan is a joke. Many are not even aware of the strange deployment of RSAF. 70% of its F-16 Blk-52 and 100% of F-15s are based in USA as foreign detachments and used for training and not in Singapore.

They Also come in Australia , i have met an RSAF Block 52+ Pilot a few times over here .

They come over for Training and on foreign deployment.

Back
Top Bottom