What's new

Pakistan Eyes Acquisition of Chinese Training Aircraft

Although faithful, the T-37 and the FT-5 have been around for a while now and they do represent some what 50s technology.
PAF even wired it's FT-5s to carry a couple of AAMs for second line defense, where as the L-15 being supersonic and incorporating the latest technology seems a good proposition for future duel missions specially if PAC gets to produce some of them.

Love this hope I could buy these ... someday ... well you can dream ....:smitten:

It would be dream come true if I could park this baby out in garage and fly it on sundays -

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/SalmanHaider09/12414370_248773.jpg[/IMG]

From this angle, it almost resembles the early F/A-18 Hornet.:)

Attachments

• 681c6aa075e6305a4f116868505bad6b.jpg
    681c6aa075e6305a4f116868505bad6b.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 10
Kun koi TOPGUN junior Tayar karna hai:lol:

Lay mere bhai...

Bahi lol iam still a bachelor :) but one day soon inshallah when i get married and have a TOPGUN junior this bird will come in very handy for joy rides lol hahaha :cheers: :lol:

if true PAF WILL BE GOING FOR TWIN ENGINE FIGHTERS ..... most likely after 2019

So far PAF doesn't even have sufficient number of K-8..even in next 3 years time my 2 cents K-8 will replace these FT-5/T-37
I do not know the price tag of L-15 but suppose it costs say 12 Million dollars a unit, i would say stick to K-8 no need to spend on it fairly we can save that money for JF-17

Specifications
Data from Military-Today[2]

General characteristics

Crew: 2 (1 student pilot and 1 instructor/official pilot (trainer), or 1 official pilot and 1 weapons systems officer
Length: 12.27 m ()
Wingspan: 9.48 m ()
Height: 4.81 m ()
Empty weight: 4.96 t (6.5 t)
Max takeoff weight: 9.5 t ()
Powerplant: 2× Ivchenko Progress AI-222K-25F afterburning turbofans
Performance

Maximum speed: Mach 1.4
Range: 3,100 km ()
Combat radius: Over 550+ km ()
Service ceiling: 16,000 m ()
Rate of climb: >200 m/s (afterburnering) ()
g-Limits: +8.0/-3.0 g
:pakistan::china::pakistan:

So far PAF doesn't even have sufficient number of K-8..even in next 3 years time my 2 cents K-8 will replace these FT-5/T-37
I do not know the price tag of L-15 but suppose it costs say 12 Million dollars a unit, i would say stick to K-8 no need to spend on it fairly we can save that money for JF-17

Understand that K-8 is currently underpowered for transition directly into to high performance aircraft. Thus the continued use of FT-5.

IMO if PAF has to make do with K-8, it will have to be re-engined to enable rookie pilots to gain experience in trans - sonic flight envelope.

i don't understand why we need this trainer? we got plenty of K8s already..... if we need just buy more twin seater (version of) JF-17s for training purposes
I think you are not getting the point. Even if we get F-16 Block 60 for training (let us suppose) it will be a single engine aircraft. Looks like PAF want to experience the difficulties they will counter with twin engine aircraft. Good move. If we want to buy J11B.

i don't understand why we need this trainer? we got plenty of K8s already..... if we need just buy more twin seater (version of) JF-17s for training purposes

Bro...my source says there will be no twin seater JF17, as that doesnt suit this platform. for such ops PAF will consider other aircrafts such as f16/mirage(rose) and k8/l15 for training/fighter conv.

PAF still fly's FT5 (mig-17) Wow

Please don’t underestimate Mig-17. It was a formidable fighter in its day and did very well against the more advanced US F-4 Phantom in the Vietnam War.

From what I gathered from some people who have actually flown FT-5 is that despite its age and virtually no avionics, as a combat fighter trainer, it is still very good except that it is very short legged. To the best of my knowledge, No. 37 Combat Training Wing based at Mianwali still makes extensive use of FT-5 as well as FT-6.

All I know is just hearsay, Sir Murad is in a much better position to advise us as to how good a trainer FT-5 really is.

good one niaz..so we can ask again China to help us since we don't have sufficient fundings from JF-17s to FC-20 and now L-15 how many would PAF supposedly acquire? for the last 17 Years PAF has 28 K-8s that from 1993-2009 the latest delivery was 16 K-8s in 09...do the maths perhaps someday L-15s will land with PAF colors so far not before 2017 PAF tend to squeeze life out of what ever is left till and that is how PAF has been doing for ages i do not see immediate changes in our procurement process and policy not for the next 5 years or so..

Last edited:
this plane has not been inducted into PLAAF so its too far for Pakistan to get it

Back
Top Bottom