What's new

Pakistan deals with its devils

Fighter488

Reaction score
Pakistan deals with its devils

By Zahid U Kramet

LAHORE - Pakistan and the United States are apparently not on the same page in regard to the Afghan Taliban, particularly insofar as the Haqqani network in Afghanistan is concerned.

Washington clearly sees Sirajuddin Haqqani as the enemy. Pakistan sees him as a possible ally in the exit of the US from the war theater beginning in 2011. The US views Haqqani's fallback position (read sanctuary) in Pakistan as a direct threat to the Western coalition in Afghanistan and has warned of expanded drone strikes into Pakistani territory if it did not move more aggressively against him. Pakistan's reactions to the threat have ranged from sullen silence to outright anger expressed by senior establishment officials who consider Haqqani key to any reconciliation process.

Pakistan's army chief, General Ashfaq Kiani, made no bones about his reservations on the subject when he responded to US exhortations "to do more" by saying that he had his hands full countering the al-Qaeda-inspired Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and that the Pakistan army was in no position to open another front. But there seemed to be a level of understanding on the common threat posed by the Afghan Taliban when The Washington Post quoted a Pakistani intelligence official as having said, "The Pakistani Taliban are the clear and present danger. They are what matters most. Once we are done with them, we will go after the Haqqani network" - signaling that no hard and fast lines had been drawn on the issue.

Nevertheless, Pakistan could have reason to be ambivalent on fueling animosity with Haqqani's network, as it remains gravely concerned about the expansion of Indian influence in Afghanistan and fears encirclement by India after the US withdrawal begins in 2011. Admiral Michael Mullen, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, attempted recently to allay these fears when he agreed to the need of addressing the Kashmir dispute (the main bone of contention between the two neighbors) for stability in the region. But with there being no signs of a breakthrough on this, Pakistan feels it would be an error to close the door on such former "strategic assets" as Haqqani, irrespective of the complications this presents at the moment.

Pakistan may be living in a time warp. From all the evidence available, Haqqani is as committed to expelling US forces from Afghanistan as any other branch of the Taliban. On this, an expert on al-Qaeda, Syed Saleem Shahzad, Pakistan bureau chief for Asia Times Online, has no doubts. He contends that sooner rather than later, Pakistan will have to re-evaluate Haqqani as a strategic asset in the broader context of the "war on terror". He believes Pakistan could come off second-best as the voice to be heard by the Taliban insurgents, with al-Qaeda looking beyond Pakistan's borders, toward India to its east, the Central Asian republics to Afghanistan's north and, more recently, towards Yemen, to merchandise its message of a global caliphate.

The US is only too aware of this and has geared itself to act against further al-Qaeda encroachment in the volatile ****** region, with President Barack Obama therefore opting for a 30,000-troop surge in Afghanistan. At the same time, there has been repeated admittance that without Pakistan's unqualified support in the "war on terror", the US and its allies could end up at the losing end of the stick.

United States Vice President Joseph Biden reaffirmed this when he said in an MSNBC interview recently that "defeating al-Qaeda and stabilizing Pakistan" are America's main strategic interests. At the same time, he identified Pakistan as the flashpoint, as he felt that al-Qaeda was more entrenched there than in Afghanistan, but he said the US would provide more assistance to Pakistan to counter al-Qaeda's growing influence in this country.

But Pakistan has more than one devil to deal with. The ruling Pakistan People's Party is under pressure, with the Supreme Court ruling against former president Pervez Musharraf's National Reconciliation Ordinance, which sought to provide amnesty to a number of PPP stalwarts for past alleged misdemeanors. Foremost among them is the PPP's co-chairman and incumbent president, Asif Ali Zardari, who appears to have America's confidence. Zardari is not as popular with Pakistan's military establishment, and the burning question now is whether or not the judiciary will go along with the constitutional stipulations that immunize a president holding office against past cases registered against him.

Zardari suspects it will not. In a public address on December 27, the second anniversary of his wife Benazir Bhutto's assassination, and repeatedly since, the president lamented that there was a conspiracy afoot to derail democracy through the country's courts. The US Central Command chief, General David Petraeus, however, certifies that Pakistan's military would play no role in this. Testifying before the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Petraeus said he had been assured by senior military officials that the Pakistan army under Kiani was not interested in disrupting civilian rule. But a US State Department official, also testifying before said committee, admitted to tension between Pakistan's elected representatives and its military establishment.

Tension does exist. Pakistan's military commands the activities of the Inter-Services Intelligence, the country's premier intelligence service, and thus feels it is infinitely better equipped to tackle Pakistan's security issues (both internal and external) than the country's elected contingent.

However, the US seems to be more inclined toward blanket democratic management of Pakistan's national affairs. And it has leverage. The US funneled close to US$10 billion in military aid to Pakistan between fiscal 2001 and 2009 and has sanctioned $1.6 billion for fiscal year 2010 under the Coalition Support Fund, along with $700 million under the Counter-insurgency Capability Fund. But even that may not be enough to tackle Pakistan's security issues.

Zardari is alert to this reality and sounded fully supportive of the Pakistani military's views on the subject. In a letter to Obama revealed to The Washington Post by anonymous sources in December, Zardari spelled out that the bill for military operations in the Swat Valley alone had come to $2.5 billion, to suggest that the allocated sums for the "war on terror" in Pakistan were grossly inadequate.

The December 28 strike in the heart of Pakistan's densely populated financial capital and, significantly, principal port city, Karachi, substantiated this. The suicide-cum-arson attack left 45 dead and scores injured, with 2,500 shops gutted and a reported 10,000 people jobless. Hardly had Pakistan time to catch its breath when this was followed by the as yet unspoken-for car-bomb attack in faraway Lakki Marwat, close by the restive Waziristan territories, that reportedly killed 96, mostly young people, either playing or watching a volleyball game.

The South Waziristan-based TTP commander, Asmatullah Shaheen, is reported to have claimed responsibility for the Karachi attack, but doubt remains about the authenticity of this claim, as seldom has Shaheen acted as a spokesman for the Taliban. Moreover, as the Shaheen testimonial was delivered over the telephone to news agencies from an undisclosed location, it remains suspect.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, in his media address from Gwadur, Balochistan province, to inaugurate a section of the Makran Costal Highway, referred to the attack as a "foreign agenda" to destabilize Pakistan. Interior Minister Rehman Malik took up the refrain from Karachi with his statement reading the hand of "foreign elements cannot be ruled out".

Zardari made his apprehensions on the "foreign agenda" known in the three-page letter to Obama when he "repeatedly referred to Pakistan's core interests, unresolved historical conflicts and conventional imbalances", according to The Times of India. He urged Obama to propel Pakistan's "neighbors" (read India) toward diplomatic engagement. He has since repeated the message in Pakistan's press.

But Shahzad is convinced it is al-Qaeda's game to expand the war into India with more proxy operations along the lines of the Mumbai attacks of 2008, as bringing India and Pakistan eyeball to eyeball again would leave the field wide open for the terrorist organization to spread chaos throughout South Asia.

With this in view, the challenging question now is why the Indian army chief, General Deepak Kapoor, would want to raise a host of devils by issuing a statement to the effect that India had the capacity to fight a two-front war against both Pakistan and China - and bring it to a satisfactory conclusion in 96 hours.

Zahid U Kramet, a Lahore-based political analyst specializing in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran, is the founder of the research and analysis website the Asia Despatch.

(Copyright 2010 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)

Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan

The devil that Pakistan is dealing is America. There can't be any peace in the south Asia rather world as long as the devil stays in Afghanistan.
Do you recall peace in South Asia a decade ago, when America wasn't anywhere in sight? I recall an Afghanistan embroiled in civil war, a Pakistan where people complained to me that drug lords and corrupt officials ruled the streets, a Sri Lanka reeling from terrorism, Maoist insurgencies in Nepal and India...so how is America the "devil" that keeps S. Asia from peace?

We are paying for our own mistakes, but not in the way the article makes it out to be. The article takes the usual one-dimensional view. I see is quite differently. We're paying for being too trusting towards those who considered and treated us as "strategically located allies", we're paying for the years of dictatorships, we're paying for electing corrupt officials, we're paying for bending backwards for good relations with our neighbors, we're paying for not building our economy, we're paying for getting involved in others Wars and so on. It's never a single thing that leads to tragedies, it's many things that fail.

That said, Pakistan is not a tragedy. And it won't be. We plan on being a thorn in the backside of everyone who has turned against us for centuries to come.

Do you recall peace in South Asia a decade ago, when America wasn't anywhere in sight? I recall an Afghanistan embroiled in civil war, a Pakistan where people complained to me that drug lords and corrupt officials ruled the streets, a Sri Lanka reeling from terrorism, Maoist insurgencies in Nepal and India...so how is America the "devil" that keeps S. Asia from peace?
I'm sorry, if lack of crime is your measure of peace, then there are no peaceful countries in the World. A decade ago, people were not dying in planted bomb attacks or suicide bomb attacks or drone strikes every single day. A decade ago, people were not afraid to go to large public gatherings. A decade ago, hundreds of thousands of people were not displaced in their own country. I'm sorry, all your country gave the region was war and more war.

Devil is USA & UK ..

We need to distance ourself from devils ....

Excuse me but i take that very offencive please re-edit your post.

how would you feel if i say that pakistan is the devil.

altho i am a devil XD.

an expert on al-Qaeda, Syed Saleem Shahzad, Pakistan bureau chief for Asia Times Online

As soon as Read this clowns name do not need the read any thing else.
His writing is good for laugh and paper should be used as toilet Tissue after words.

^^Come on cheetah.Man understand these types of ppl earn good money publishing this trash

altho i am a devil XD.

You seem to be very upset on such a small issue.After all he is using the right of freedom of expression you should not be bothered.

Dear Solomon2,

You have been reading the fairy tail written by George W Bush. Before American Invasion, there was absolute PEACE in Afghanistan as Taliban had captured more than 80% of territory and were in effective control of territory. There were NO drugs and poppy production had reduced to less then 4% of what it is at now. Pakistan and Afghanistan were living as border less states and Pakistan was host of more then 3 million Afghans who were half Pakistani and there was peace in Afghanistan, FATA, NWFP and Baluchistan like rest of the country. Go read some before making your next post.

altho i am a devil XD.

Americans call Pakistan a migraine, British call Pakistan the haven of terrorists and you have enough cheeks to come and complain when devil is described as devil? WAR for PEACE? Is that you have given this region? How many millions have lost their lives in Iraq? How many in Afghanistan? How many in Pakistan and in the name of what? PEACE? Peace for whom? Humans or Americans? Its time to see the mirror my friend. Just see your real image and Identify the angel of peace is infact the devil of death. Does that hurt? mustn't be hurting more than how 100s of Pakistanis and Afghanistans feel every day becase of loosing their brothers, sisters, children and their own lives. FEEL IT, YOU deserve medals for terrorising whole south Asia. The biggest Terrorists are you America, England and NATO, the freaking sick skull peace selling butchers.

"I'm sorry, all your country gave the region was war and more war."

Cute bit of vitriol that fails to explain sanctuary and proxy war since late 2001 on over forty nations, the afghan people, and the U.N. mandate to raise forth Afghanistan.

Stop it or there may be even more war on your horizon.:agree:

Thanks.:usflag:

Cute bit of vitriol that fails to explain sanctuary and proxy war since late 2001 on over forty nations, the afghan people, and the U.N. mandate to raise forth Afghanistan.

Stop it or there may be even more war on your horizon.:agree:

Thanks.:usflag:

There was no proxy war and no sanctuary.

Pakistan approached the Taliban groups focused on expanding in Pakistan in much the same manner as it approached the Taliban groups focused on Afghanistan -- by engaging the local Taliban and the tribes they belonged to in dialog and enacting 'peace deals'.

That the policy was largely similar for both sets of groups indicates that there was no subterfuge, proxy war or sanctuary provided - it was the preferred means (for the political parties, military and average Pakistani) of resolving the Taliban threat in FATA.

The policy of engagement and dialog continued through 2008 (and into 2009 with the Swat deal) until the Bajaur offensive was undertaken in late 2008. That is the point at which Pakistan's approach started changing.

So to argue that there was some sort of 'sanctuary or proxy war' as you argue is a blatant lie.

At best you could argue that Pakistan's policies were flawed, you have nothing to establish 'proxy war and sanctuary', especially since the US/NATO have ceded North Eastern Afghan provinces to the Taliban and allowed them to establish control there and wage war on both Afghanistan and Pakistan. The correlation between the surge in violence in Bajaur recently and the US withdrawal from the North East Afghan provinces bordering FATA is clear - you and America sir therefore have no room to be talking about 'allowing the Taliban to wage war from sanctuaries' since that is exactly what the US/NATO has done by withdrawing from those Afghan provinces.

not surprise with s-2's comment all ya have is war in your mind..if you americans had the word peace programmed in your mind you would have earned Pakistan's and regions respect infact world's respect...one thing more this war you're taking about could go beyond this region over your horizons never under estimate your enemy..there is not a nation on this earth that curses americans....don't have to believe me google it. Nato-us in afghanistan couldn't curb this mess in 8 years i declare those americans fighting ww2 as more efficient and sincere than today s so called modern but ineffective us forces...a sincere effort by all allied nato non nato forces can eliminate this mess once and for all but sincerity and coordination and effort is required which i don't see across the border.

Last edited:

Stop it or there may be even more war on your horizon.

Thanks.
It's easy to not support the people who run a country when you're thousands of kilometers away from the borders, it's not when you're the neighbors. All you did was come in, fight a proxy war, plant the seed for future wars, and leave. We were right next door, we couldn't shut our eyes to the wild beast to the West, so we made peace with it. Our way was certainly a lot more successful than yours has proven to be; we managed to keep them quiet for almost a decade, all you've managed to do is increase their numbers and spread them around. Seriously, your war in Afghanistan has proven to be the best thing that could have happened to the extremist cause, they've grown more popular and more powerful than ever before.

I'm sorry, there's something funny about being judged by internationally acclaimed bullies. Also, you sound almost hopeful with the "there may be even more war on your horizon". Careful what you wish for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom