What's new

Pakistan bans dope-tainted Akhtar, Asif

A.Rahman

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan bans dope-tainted Akhtar, Asif

LAHORE: A doping tribunal on Wednesday banned Pakistan's top fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar from international and domestic cricket for two years for using performance enhancing medicines, the tribunal's chief said.

The tribunal, formed by the Pakistan Cricket Board, also banned young fast bowler Mohammed Asif for one year, Shahid Hamid, the tribunal's chief said.

Last month, the PCB recalled Akhtar and Asif from thelimited-overs ICC Champion Trophy in India for testing positive forusing the banned steroid Nandrolone.

`We have banned Shoaib Akhtar from playing international and domestic cricket for two years, and Mohammed Asif has been banned for one year for playing international or domestic cricket,' Hamid told a news conference at the PCB's headquarters in Lahore.

He said the tribunal had imposed the minimum punishment under the regulations of the PCB, the International Cricket Council and the World Anti-Doping Agency.

' We were helpless and our hands were tied,' Hamid said.

Hamid said Akhtar and Asif had failed to defend themselves against the charges. They have the right to file appeals to the tribunal within the next seven days.

I feel bad for both of them. I'm starting to believe there's more to this, internal politics for one.
Asif was just getting started...:wall:

Very immature act. In NBA, MLB, NFL they ban like crazy too. So many
athletes use performence enhancers noteabaly Rafael Palmiero, Sammy Sosa,
Mark McGuire and Barry Bonds just to name a few.

They should find this "doctor" that was "helping" them and beat 7 shades of **** outta him.

I am surprised that, they did not get decent advice from the sports body in charge of such matters. Or at least checked things for themselves.

But if Shoiab keeps fit and trains well he could come back (Mcgrath is still bowling)

Shoaib's career is over if someone doesn't over turn this decision. I'm guessing Shoaib and Asif did something and this was punishment.

Shoaib's career is over if someone doesn't over turn this decision. I'm guessing Shoaib and Asif did something and this was punishment.

The quantity of the banned substance in Asif’s sample was 13.07 nanograms/ml, while in Shoaib’s sample it was 14.06ng/ml which was much higher than the maximum limit of 2 ng/ml recommended by WADA !!!!!!

Big deal, andar ki baat thi. Andar hi daba detay.

You must do what's best for the country.

Big deal, andar ki baat thi. Andar hi daba detay.

You must do what's best for the country.

Its was an International match held in India, we are talking about ICC trophy here.

This should be a lesson for all the people who take steroids to enhance their performance

They should find this "doctor" that was "helping" them and beat 7 shades of **** outta him.

Mushyy is the doctor, go beat the heII outta him , he is the chairman of our cricket board. All this politics which is even in criket now, i hate this:wall: .

I was'nt really against mushy before, but for the last few months the way things happened:disagree:.

I think Akhtar's career is over, can he go for an appeal.

Asif is still young so he can make a come back.But god alone knows whether he would be able to show the same form.

The results of playing a high profile tournament without our main bowlers is there for everyone to see.

It's Musharraf, not God. Stop blaming him for everything. He doesn't micromanage to the grass root levels.

Although I am saddened by this news, it is right for the Board to have taken that action. Steroids are not only banned they are dangerous for an individual, s health. If ICC had caught them both, they would both have been gone for 2 yrs. The Board has for once shown that indiscipline will result in punishment. Shoaib has been a naughty boy for far too long and its about time somebody pulled in the reigns. This one decision will hopefully instill discipline within the team,because players will realize that their antics can no longer go unpunished.
Araz

Back
Top Bottom