What's new

Pakistan Air Force Transport

the Y-8 is being termed the 'poor mans C-130' - depends on PAF requirements - C-130 is a tried and tested platfrom - why change a good thing - many C-130E/H will be available from US EDA if we so desire.:toast_sign:

but sir what about this part of my post:

Originally Posted by arsalanaslam123
sir in my opinion if we can get C-130 via a reliable supply channel it is the best option.
:lol:

i was making the point that if we want to switch to other options from C-130 then the Y-8 or Y-9 will be much better then the CN-235 etc!

regards!

but the C-390 will be sanction prone so i guess PAF will be wise enough not to go toward it!
as taimi suggested, russian or perhaps chines options will be better for medium-heavy lift platforms.
there are a number of options in medium lift from china with Y-8 and future Y-9 being of prime importance, as sir Fatman quoted, C-130 of poor man!

one thing that keep forcing me to favour the Y-8 for medium lift role is that we are bound to get them with KJ-200 AWE&C so why nt get them into transport role as well, specially when they are as good as the C-130.
we can kep looking for C-130 via US funding progrmas but should also invest in alternative platforms.
shall not be bitten by the same snake again and again!!

i do not favour the CN-295 as it will add a new dimension for maintainance issues, carry lesser load then Y-8 and is costly as well!

regards!

Saturday, October 09, 2010

C-130 to China?

Letter from the President Regarding an Export Waiver for China | The White House

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
October 08, 2010

Letter from the President Regarding an Export Waiver for China

TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
AND THE PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE

Dear Madam Speaker: (Dear Mr. President:)

Pursuant to the authority vested in me by section 902(b)(2) of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1990 and 1991 (Public Law 101-246)(the "Act"), and as President of the United States, I hereby report to the Congress that it is in the national interest of the United States to terminate the suspensions under section 902(a)(3) of the Act with respect to the issuance of temporary munitions export licenses for exports to the People's Republic of China insofar as such restrictions pertain to the C-130 cargo aircraft to be used in oil spill response operations at sea. License requirements remain in place for these exports and require review and approval on a case-by-case basis by the United States Government.

Sincerely,
BARACK OBAMA

I was thinking as a low cost platform a tanker variant of Chinese Y-8G IFR a project that is being worked upon. First prototype flew in 2004.

Would it not be feasible and a good IFR Tanker for the PAF to to used for JF-17s.

Y-8G.jpg

Last edited:
Skunk-Works.jpg

Instead of going jetset..Why not look into airships for transport? Cheaper to run and maintain..Part from the helium,everything else is pretty low tech and obtainable.
US army is now considering Lockheed martin's Airships as their new transport vehicles and even as replacement for satellites,as airships can be made geo stationary at a much lower cost and technical complications compared to satellites..

I think Pakistan should look into this 1930s technology and use it.

US Army Orders Lockheed-Martin’s Mystery Airship Skunk Works ? RealityPod | Gadgets, Technology & Robotics Hub

i think pakistan turkey indonesia should jointly developed transport aircraft for their need.

How many C-130's are with PAF?

no. of C130E and C130B?

I red on some other forum that B707 of PAF have been decommissioned,Is this true?

Is there a transport squadron based in PAF Faisal?

How many VIP transport planes are available with PAF(a detailed answer like type,number etc)?

I know 1 of the 4 C235 is equipped for VIP transport.

There is one A-310

How many Gulf Stream are with PAF?

Phenom 100, 1 was delievered,what about other 3?

no. of C130E and C130B?

I red on some other forum that B707 of PAF have been decommissioned,Is this true?

How many VIP transport planes are available with PAF(a detailed answer like type,number etc)?

There is one A-310

U should better use GOOGLE for ur answers !!!

no. of C130E and C130B?

There is one A-310

all the answers are available in the military aviation section - dont be a hard*** and try to find it for yourself - if you dont, then come back

no. of C130E and C130B?

There is one A-310

Direct Reporting Units

No. 35 (Composite Air Transport) Wing

3 Squadron

Cessna 560XL Citation Excel

F-27-200 Friendship

Falcon 20E

G350

Gulfstream IVSP

Saab 2000

6 Squadron

C-130B Hercules

C-130E Hercules

CN-235M-220

CN-235M-220-VIP

L-100 Hercules

10 Squadron

Il-78MP 'Midas'

41 Squadron

Cessna 172P Skyhawk

Phenom 100

Y-12 II Turbo Panda

Transport Conversion School

C-130B Hercules

C-130E Hercules

L-100 Hercules

PAF Base Chaklala
Government/Presidential Flight

A310-304

now with the induction roll out of first of the ZDK-03 AEW&C platform for PAF, i will again like to put forward the case of PAF acquisition of Y-8 for transport roles.

Y-8F600
The Y-8F600 is the latest development variant of the Y-8. The aircraft was developed under the assistance of Ukraine-based Antonov Aeronautical Scientific-Technical Complex (ASTC) and Pratt and Whitney Canada. The Y-8F600 configured to provide an aerial platform for airborne early warning aircraft and other special purposes is referred to as “Category-III Platform”. The aircraft made its first flight on 14 January 2005.

Based on the successful Shaanxi Y-8 series transport aircraft, the Y-8F600 has been extensively modified and upgraded with Western technologies including turboprop engine and avionics. The development program began in 1999, with two foreign partners Ukraine-based Antonov Aeronautical Scientific-Technical Complex (ASTC) and Pratt and Whitney Canada joining the program in 2000~2002. Under the contract signed in 2002, Shaanxi and Antonov shall jointly design, assemble prototypes, certify and put into series the new Y-8F600 transport, while P&W was responsible for providing its PW150B engine to power the aircraft.

A risks-sharing partner under the program, Antonov provided Shaanxi with the results of rigidity and aerodynamic research, as well as documents on aircraft maintainability and service life. It also designed the new wing with fuel tanks and developed technology to build it. Antonov would also share its technical data and experience with Shaanxi, and was involved in the test of the aircraft. The first flight of the Y-8F600 was made successfully on 14 January 2005.

The Y-8F600 is also referred to by Shaanxi and the PLA as “Category-III Platform”, which would provide an advanced aerial platform for special purposes such as airborne early warning (AEW/AWACS), electronic warfare and intelligence (EW/ELINT), maritime patrol, etc. The terms of Category-I and -II platforms are used to refer to the aerial platforms developed from the Y-8 basic variant and Y-8C fully-pressurised variant respectively. The successful development of the Y-8F600 was seen as a significant achievement for Shaanxi.

The Y-8F600 features an advanced two-man ‘glass’ cockpit. As well as basic flight avionics, the aircraft is equipped with datalink, flight management and control, and near ground warning system.

The Y-8F600 is powered by four P&W PB150B turboprop engines. The all-composite six-blade R-408 propeller system was developed by British Dodi company. This arrangement offers improved take-off performance at "hot and high" airports and high altitude cruise performance, extended engine service lives, and lower engine operating and maintenance costs. In addition, noise levels will be reduced and meet stringent airport noise restrictions. The aircraft maximum take-off weight is increased to 65t.

PAF/PA must seriously consider this as a strong candidate for future transport aircraft requirment.
this is a real good airplane. as good as the C-130 super Hercules (that is not the ones we have with our fleet) and coming from a far more reliable source.
as we are now going for ZDK AEW&C mounted on the Y-8F600 airplanes i think it will be wise enough to go for some six to eight airplanes for transport and/or may be some three maritime surveillance version to support the fleet of P-3C Orions.

Pratt & Whitney Canada's PW150B Engine Selected for China's Y8F600 Aircraft

China Aviation Industry Corporation II (AVIC II) and Pratt & Whitney Canada (P&WC) announced today that they have signed agreement for the installation of the PW150B engine on the Y8F600 aircraft program. The aircraft development program has been launched and aircraft certification is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2005.

The Y8 is a four-engine medium transport aircraft developed and manufactured by Shaanxi Aircraft Company, a subsidiary of AVIC II. It has a maximum take-off weight of 61 tonnes and maximum payload of 20 tonnes. The Y-8 series includes 16 successfully developed versions, with a total of 90 aircraft produced and sold. It is mainly used in general transport and postal aviation.

AVIC II has chosen the PW150B in their strategy to widen the Y-8 market, further improve operational performance and reduce direct operating costs. The PW150B engine will power AVIC II's new Y8F600 model. The PW150 is a latest-technology engine developed based on the PW100 engine family's 74 million hours of flight experience.

Fitted with the PW150B, Y8F600 will offer improved take-off performance at "hot and high" airports and high altitude cruise performance, extended engine service lives, and lower engine operating and maintenance costs. In addition, noise levels will be reduced and meet stringent airport noise restrictions. The Y8F600 will also be fitted with modern industry standard civil cargo handling systems. With aircraft MTOW increased to 65 tonnes, the Y-8F600 will have broad market appeal and sales of more than 100 aircraft is expected.

"AVIC II has already established good cooperation with P&WC. I hope that both parties will attain further success through theY8 re-engine program," said Dr. Zhang Yanzhong, President of AVIC II.

China Aviation Industry Corporation II (AVIC II) is a large state-owned aviation industrial group engaged in the development and manufacture of aircraft for markets such as the transport, trainer and helicopter markets. AVIC II has become the main supplier of China's domestic aviation market. AVIC II takes full use of its own advantages, focuses on the development of aircraft and automobiles and actively takes part in international cooperation.

P&WC, based in Longueuil, Quebec, is a world leader in aviation engines powering business and regional aircraft and helicopters. The company also offers advanced engines for industrial applications. P&WC's operations and service network span the globe. P&WC is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corporation (NYSE:UTX), a high-technology company based in Hartford, Connecticut.

Back
Top Bottom