What's new

Pakistan Acquires Chinese Made PG99 (CS/SA1) wheeled Anti-Aircraft Guns

friends pl post 1 pic of type PG99 in PA livery. i have not seen this weapon in any excercises or maneouvers.

This gun is for low flying and low altitude air def, seriously shooting jets. You indians! Aleays eager to run your mouth with out any knowledge of the real thing.

well, better you do some research...if a fighter is flying low and straight it can be grounded using anti-aircraft gun...You may also refer to some historical events...that is the base of my contention which you seem to have misunderstood ...that anti a/c guns are stuff of the history and in modern days they are least useful against the stealth fighters...and I also explained in my post about as why India might need it and not Pakistan.

well, better you do some research...if a fighter is flying low and straight it can be grounded using anti-aircraft gun...You may also refer to some historical events...that is the base of my contention which you seem to have misunderstood ...that anti a/c guns are stuff of the history and in modern days they are least useful against the stealth fighters...and I also explained in my post about as why India might need it and not Pakistan.

I will make it a point to our ACM that mr. jd thinks that it is a crappy procurement, and also not to forget to take your advise in future endeavors.

friends pl post 1 pic of type PG99 in PA livery. i have not seen this weapon in any excercises or maneouvers.

May I add that the day of the AD (Ack-Ack) gun is not over yet contrary to some statements being bandied about. A battery of AD guns can put up a hail of gunfire at a fraction of the cost of Missiles and most of all the shells cannot be defeated by any CMs including ECMs. Not Jamming, not flares, not chaff, nothing.

As somebody posted here already, the IA has embarked on re-equipping their AD Regts. with 35mm ack-ack guns in addition to the legacy L-60/70 40mm Bofors and the relatively newer ZSU-23-2s and the ZSU-23-4s. AD guns are the ideal weapons to provide protection to Lo-value installations and most civilian targets. Not to forget that the venerable Bofors AD gun at zero elevation can create great damage to APCs apart from soft-skinned vehicles. We will be foolish to write off the humble ack-ack gun.

May I add that the day of the AD (Ack-Ack) gun is not over yet contrary to some statements being bandied about. A battery of AD guns can put up a hail of gunfire at a fraction of the cost of Missiles and most of all the shells cannot be defeated by any CMs including ECMs. Not Jamming, not flares, not chaff, nothing.

As somebody posted here already, the IA has embarked on re-equipping their AD Regts. with 35mm ack-ack guns in addition to the legacy L-60/70 40mm Bofors and the relatively newer ZSU-23-2s and the ZSU-23-4s. AD guns are the ideal weapons to provide protection to Lo-value installations and most civilian targets. Not to forget that the venerable Bofors AD gun at zero elevation can create great damage to APCs apart from soft-skinned vehicles. We will be foolish to write off the humble ack-ack gun.

THats the reason why Pakistan has a combination of ca. 2000 AAG

the era of stealth fighter aircrafts has already begun, I am wondering countries are still inducting guns to gun-down modern days ACs....!

The modern day frigates/destroyers, even the 5th generation fighters aircraft, all still carry guns.. :)
something do not change.

A strong, integrated network of low range SAM and anti aircraft guns will always find a role in point defense system, protecting strategic assets! Quite effective specially keeping in mind the price they will come in!
And most importantly, the modren day aircraft's ECM is pretty useless against thousands of cheap rounds being fired at them!

AA guns are not totally outdated.
They are inevitably outclassed by missiles in terms of accuracy, guidance, kill probability, range.

However, AA guns are superior in one respect...
Once the target is identified and can be killed, it will be killed.

If a missile is used, it is vulnerable to countermeasures.
It's not the case for guns, the dumber and more primitive the threat, the more difficult it is to get rid of.

AA guns are mostly obsolete,unless they are used in conjunction with good long range SAMS ,to avoid which enemy aircraft will need to come lower and then these guns and manpaads can have value.This was demonstrated in 1973 war[arab combo of sa-6 and zsu-23-4]On their own useless.As for those saying defence against cruise missiles,nope,for that u need quick reaction SRAMs like israeli SPYDER or russian PANTSIR-S1 or european SAMP-T[based on the aster].
If ably mounted on mechanized vehicles they can give mobile aa support to armour formations vs helicopters though.Though nowadays many ATGMs will outrange the guns.

a 3.2 km range and +92 degrees elevation not bad :azn:
any ways CONGRATULATIONS :pakistan: and THANK YOU :china: :D

If Pak could produce this kind of device it is a vey good skills. My question is:
Could China, or Pak develop a version of this anti aircraft gun to 7-8 km altitude ? Is it feasible ? With this kind of device, ennemy's air campaign will be seriously hampered, because it force them to fly above 4.000 m, with a maximum speed. In fact the bombs won't be accurate.
At 8.000 meters an air raid will be practically impossible. Unfortunetly, most of anti aircraft guns have a range below 3.000 m. I think about gun, and I rather prefer guns instead of missiles, because missiles could be jam or -easily- dodged, but guns impossible to jam, and very very hard to evade.

What PAF can use beyond 3200 meter range ?

surface to air missiles

AA guns are mostly obsolete,unless they are used in conjunction with good long range SAMS ,to avoid which enemy aircraft will need to come lower and then these guns and manpaads can have value.This was demonstrated in 1973 war[arab combo of sa-6 and zsu-23-4]On their own useless.As for those saying defence against cruise missiles,nope,for that u need quick reaction SRAMs like israeli SPYDER or russian PANTSIR-S1 or european SAMP-T[based on the aster].
If ably mounted on mechanized vehicles they can give mobile aa support to armour formations vs helicopters though.Though nowadays many ATGMs will outrange the guns.

AA guns are obsolete for countries that have air superiority

If Pak could produce this kind of device it is a vey good skills. My question is:
Could China, or Pak develop a version of this anti aircraft gun to 7-8 km altitude ? Is it feasible ? With this kind of device, ennemy's air campaign will be seriously hampered, because it force them to fly above 4.000 m, with a maximum speed. In fact the bombs won't be accurate.
At 8.000 meters an air raid will be practically impossible. Unfortunetly, most of anti aircraft guns have a range below 3.000 m. I think about gun, and I rather prefer guns instead of missiles, because missiles could be jam or -easily- dodged, but guns impossible to jam, and very very hard to evade.
You would have too big of a round to shoot, almost one of at least 50 to 60 caliber, which will also make the rate of fire slower aswell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom