What's new

Pak to get 40 MRAP vehicles

Would you like to share where and in which article because I didn't read any such line in the link shared by OP.

This is a direct quote lifted from the article above. Line 4/5 or 6/7 depending on where you start the article from.

'Work on the project will take place in West Point, Mississippi, and Pakistan.'

This is a direct quote lifted from the article above. Line 4/5 or 6/7 depending on where you start the article from.

'Work on the project will take place in West Point, Mississippi, and Pakistan.'
Oh I see, but production yes, but ToT no..they won't reveal the formula but of course if the order is large enough then it would be cheaper to produce it locally while the material and components will come from USA..I guess.

Didn't Pakistan acquire MRAPs from US EDA as well? Is this an additional order?
It's an additional order
Bcz there is one MRAP (as shown in the picture above) at our Base MM Alam Mianwali
This one is a huge I'll say

Strange there were rumors of Turkish Kirpi being acquired but I suppose we already have these in service so they decided to increase the numbers!

Strange there were rumors of Turkish Kirpi being acquired but I suppose we already have these in service so they decided to increase the numbers!
I don't know much about MRAP's but i've seen videos of turkish MRAP's blown into pieces with many dead soldiers. Some MRAP's were even unidentifiable after the blasts. Are these american MRAP's better?

I don't know much about MRAP's but i've seen videos of turkish MRAP's blown into pieces with many dead soldiers. Some MRAP's were even unidentifiable after the blasts. Are these american MRAP's better?
No MRAP is death proof but even American MRAP's have been blown to bits, all depends on how big the IED was.

Someone in office has collected a lot of money in kickback!

RIP locally produced MRAP's in development.
No MRAP in in development

No MRAP not even a Tank can stand 100 KG IED blast. The IED used by kurds most have 100 KG weight nothing can stand that

To state this very clear in the beginning, I was in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2003 and 2005 respectively, but I was never in a MRAP. what I am about to say is my own opinion and people I know have been to one of these MRAP.

There are basically 3 sizes for MRAP, small, medium and large, all 3 have different uses and different level of protection.

Small MRAP (such as Caiman or Cougar 4x4) are designed for troop transport, it was to be used in low intensity conflict, its protection come from its thinner hull armor as well as it's chassis shape that were used to deflect the blast

Medium MRAP (such as Cougar 6x6) were used to provide Casevac , convoy duty, combat engineering and EOD vehicle. It's hull armor provide medium protection, used to medium to high risk area.

Large MRAP (such as Buffalo) is specialized Engineering Vehicle, they are designed to deal with maximum protection, and high risk area, if you are sending in one of these, that mean the road is mined or IED'ed for sure. These type of vehicle is used to Clear IED trap or mine in a known infected area.

MRAP is not god, however, it could withstand a 155mm artillery shell (which is about 41kg) projectile head on. (ie exploded underneath the MRAP)

But how do you detonate the shell also count, if you trigger the shell by rolling over it on its side, then the wheel and the axel would also take some blast damage and hence in basic theory, you can withstand a bigger blast.

The different between MRAP and IFV or Tank is, MRAP is driving like a truck, where you have a high driver seat angle, you can look at the road in front of you at about 4 to 5 ft distant. However, if you are in a tank or IFV (I used to be in a Bradley) even if you are turning out (meaning your torso seat outside the driver seat) at most you can see is 15 to 20 ft ahead of you, what happen on the road between your IFV and 20 ft ahead is basically hidden by the IFV own chassis. If you turn in, you can only see the road ahead a long way ahead of you (maybe 40 to 50 ft) as you are looking at the road in a periscope.

The most important defense for IED is situational awareness. If you see something wrong in the road ahead of you, then you know there are going to be an IED on that road hidden somewhere, so how much you can see out of in a MRAP, IFV and a Tank is actually more important than how much blast damage you can take in a tank or IFV, because the bigger the IED was, the easier you can spot them, but if you cannot look at the road ahead, then it doesn't matter if the IED is as big as a refrigerator, when you cannot see it, you are gonna get it.

This cougar is suspected had hit by a 500lb bomb IED

Cougar_Hit_By_IED.jpg

Hope this help

Last edited:
Initially pa, paf and PN etc were getting 160-180 part of Eda from Afghanistan stock and were used not new, this is new build order so either Eda were not good or available or pak order new instead of accepting all used ???

The problem is, when a country is at war, it can, literally descent into that scenario. Iraq and Afghansitan is a representation of insurgency. It used to be, in the old day, a 4th generation warfare, which mean you will only face insurgency with a non-state actor, but the experience we had with ISIS told us the world have move on to 4GW+ where insurgency can be in a form of State Actor.

Now, this is not about what and where or when you fight, but about how you fight, no matter what kind of war situation you had, you will always had people try to ambush your convoy, and place IED on your MSR or ASR. the problem is even if you avoid using these routes, you cannot stop other people using it, and in this case, you will be responsible for other people, and you will need to clear them for these folks.

Large scale procurment may seems odd but when you are fighting an enemy which will resort to laying mine and IED over your support route, then these thing would come in handy, and if you don't have them in stock (Be it in large number) then you either don't resupply your troop, or you will be wasting a lot of resource just to resupply your troop.

Sorry I was not quite clear (or if you don't really understand what did I say) as I am a bit drunk right now...

Ram is what I like to say. Ram mean you use a tank to lead a column and charge into an ambush or IED hotspot.

Because Tank and IFV is hard to see out of, and you will easily get blown up by an IED in a tank if you march in a tank without infantry support, but if you do march your troop infront of your tank, then you will ended up losing both because it will blog down the tank from all the scanning and detecting metal. And it will give time your enemy to lay a well executed ambush. (Ambush and Time not usually go together)

Welcome to PDF, by the way, how do you see the role of old Pakistani Type-59 Tanks as a fire support element for Infantry? Would it make sense to bring old stocks back to live just for this role? (actually, we are doing it on the western front).

16722722_1261408917279345_3918534477896510161_o.jpg

Paramount MRAP
1-1_cyddrwe4.six.jpg

Ejder 4 X 4

Somebody please tell me what is so special about these USA MRAP which these MRAP I have posted about can't do. Or dollars are very special !!!!!!!!!!!!! We can get these MRAP with TOT. Still we keep running after USA for GOD sake How long we are going to keep running after them

I think it because we already have now 100 US-Type-Mraps and the Army wants one type/source to save costs!

Someone in office has collected a lot of money in kickback!

Care to explain or discuss?

Initially pa, paf and PN etc were getting 160-180 part of Eda from Afghanistan stock and were used not new, this is new build order so either Eda were not good or available or pak order new instead of accepting all used ???

We are taking EDA and new I guess!

Basically we got many from eda, fmf etc now we purchasing new as we already have the infrastructure to support these

Welcome to PDF, by the way, how do you see the role of old Pakistani Type-59 Tanks as a fire support element for Infantry? Would it make sense to bring old stocks back to live just for this role? (actually, we are doing it on the western front).

As a Cavalryman myself (well, at least half of my training goes toward a cavalryman), I do not support using armored vehicle as a static defence or as a support element, like a mobile howitzer.

Do bear in mind that a howitzer is a support weapon, hence a defensive weapon. An amoured vehicle, regardless of its age, was designed to give offensive capability, you use it to run and gun. If you are using the older Type-59 in an infantry support role, it will be slow and loud, also while you blogged down your progress between your armor and infantry, the armor itself did not offer enough protection for modern Mobile AT Platform. Which means they cannot be effective as a mobile gun or supporting role, instead it would simply act as a big target for your enemy to shoot.

There are several way you can make these old tank works, I believe you guys are converting the T-54 and Type 59 into Al-Zarrar, you can also do what the Brits and American do by putting the gun into an APC or IFV and make it a mobile gun platform. Or simply use them as engineering vehicle. I would not perfer to use them as infantry support weapon.

but then that's just me :) I cannot speak for everyone

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom