What's new

PAF to Unveil Locally Made Stealth Radars for Fighter Jets - March 2022 .

Remarkable achievement if true

However I think the article means , local AESA radar.

Stealth , and Radar are two opposite ideas. To be Stealth , means can't be seen by radar and Radar able to track items can't be stealth

The radar itself can't be a Stealth platform as it emits waves which can be tracked

Unless the article means, Radars for Stealth platform future Fighter Jet platform

Last edited:
That's what's makes you super stealthy my fraaaand :lol:
You need to correct your thinking. I say this in a friendly way. Sometime, somewhere, you may come out with why you think me to be a closet Sanghi; apparently that is your assessment. It would be interesting to know why, but interesting, not vital. If it had had repercussions on what I believe and stand for, it would have been vital. It has no such repercussions. So you are quite free to believe what you want to believe. Until it gets abusive - it is borderline abusive now - I propose to ignore it.:enjoy:

I didn't read this propakistani piece. I believe it is just repeating the material in the article by our very own member (banned from the forum I think) on shepardmedia https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/...an-moves-ahead-with-domestic-aesa-radar-deve/

As far as the claims are concerned I think they are most likely true because of the amount of evidence that we've seen. We've seen evidence of X band AND S band TRMs being designed/acquired - X band usually used for fire control radars like those on jets and S band used for early warning like those on ground based and airborne early warning systems. There are also some systems seen in satellite imagery that look like the said radars so they are likely in late stages of development. So I think there is a lot of evidence that supports these claims. However, considering how increasingly secretive our forces have become and how protected radar tech usually is, I seriously doubt that there will be an official confirmation of a system anytime soon. If/when a public disclosure comes for a SYSTEM (not just poster for AvRID) it will be already inducted and being widely used.
This is what has been happening in Kamra:
Establishment of RF & Microwave X Band AESA RADAR Front-end Design Lab. Complete design cycle from paper based design till fabrication and testing of the prototype completed in-house (kamra) . Indigenous benchmark prototype of X band RF Front-end of Air Borne AESA RADAR designed and developed. System level and circuit level MMICs based transceiver designed using CADENCE Allegro, ADS, HFSS and ANSYS Electronics Desktop.

This is what has been happening in Kamra:
Establishment of RF & Microwave X Band AESA RADAR Front-end Design Lab. Complete design cycle from paper based design till fabrication and testing of the prototype completed in-house (kamra) . Indigenous benchmark prototype of X band RF Front-end of Air Borne AESA RADAR designed and developed. System level and circuit level MMICs based transceiver designed using CADENCE Allegro, ADS, HFSS and ANSYS Electronics Desktop.
What can be possible and reasonable step forward after development of AESA radars?
Simply putting;
What will be significance of experience learned from development of AESA radars in EW,ECM,ESM system developments?

PAF to Unveil Locally Made Stealth Radars for Fighter Jets​

By Haroon Hayder | Published Mar 24, 2022 | 1:39 pm
AESA-Radar.jpg

Pakistan is expected to unveil an indigenously developed Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar which will be deployed in both ground-based and airborne roles.

AESA is a second-generation phased radar in which radio waves of multiple frequencies can be sent in different directions without moving the antenna. AESA radars allow aircraft and ships to send powerful signals while remaining stealthy and resistant to jamming.
ALSO READ
Instagram is Bringing Back an Old Fan Favorite Feature
According to details, Pakistan’s local AESA radar is being developed by the Air Weapon Complex (AWC), an R&D facility of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF), in collaboration with the National University of Science and Technology (NUST).

Although complete details of the radar are unavailable at the moment, sources have claimed that the indigenously developed AESA radar will use the latest gallium nitride (GaN) transmit and receive modules that are owned by only a few countries.
AWC reportedly designed two types of GaN transmit and receive modules- S-band and X-band- in late 2019 and early 2020 respectively.
ALSO READ
Hafeez Reveals Pakistan’s Biggest Positive From Australia Test Series
Both modules have different functionalities. The S-band module is used in ground-based and airborne search radars for target search and detection. On the other hand, the X-band module is associated with fire control due to its superior resolution.

The indigenous AESA radar is expected to officially make its debut in the JF-17 Block 4 fighter jet or the fifth-generation stealth fighter jet being developed under Project Azm.

Pakistan moves ahead with domestic AESA radar development​

23rd March 2022 - 07:37 GMT | by Arslan Khan in Islamabad
RSS

Future Pakistani JF-17 fighters could benefit from indigenous AESA radars in the future. (Gordon Arthur)
Pakistan is quietly developing AESA radars for potential applications in ground-based and airborne roles.

Pakistan’s Air Weapons Complex, in partnership with the National University of Sciences & Technology and Pakistani private-sector firms, is in the final stages of the development of ground-based phased-array radars.
Though the designation of these systems is unclear, it is known that the radars use the latest gallium nitride (GaN) transmit and receive modules. While GaN-based modules are not something new, only a handful of countries are in the club to have designed these.
It is known that these modules were delivered in late 2019/early 2020 to design houses for prototyping. Two types of modules were designed, S-band and X-band.

Already have an account? Log in

Want to keep reading this article?

Just to chime in, @isipuppet and the author of the Shephard article here.

I am aware this is something that has been going on for a while, it is also something that was suspected here for a while, alongside this, when i started @isipuppet, one of my first posts was a little bit of evidence to suggest the development of such.

The difference between this and that is now this is no longer suspicion, I am now able to confidently throw my weight behind this and vouch for the accuracy due to the evidence i have collected over the span of a while, most importantly, the (accidental) discovery of a new radar test site where these systems were being tested, though, in the interest of clarity, the site wasn't discovered by me, however, the person who had stumbled upon it did it in a very, very lucky manor, but the discovery of the site meant that alot of information was uncovered, things that weren't expected either, we are talking 3-4 types of different radar system.

GaN or GaAs??
GaN.

What can be possible and reasonable step forward after development of AESA radars?
Simply putting;
What will be significance of experience learned from development of AESA radars in EW,ECM,ESM system developments?
Applications in all of those fields. The homegrown TRM development is a step forward, it's one of the fundamentals (among the other aspects developed), with applications in numerous places. Its for that reason it won a funding award from the civilian govt, designed to prop up 'exportable' items. Its not unlikely that we will start seeing Pakistan developed mil gear being sold abroad, whether this is radar, ecm etc.

Remarkable achievement if true

However I think the article means , local AESA radar.

Stealth , and Radar are two opposite ideas. To be Stealth , means can't be seen by radar and Radar able to track items can't be stealth

The radar itself can't be a Stealth platform as it emits waves which can be tracked

Unless the article means, Radars for Stealth platform future Fighter Jet platform

What the author (who just ripped off my piece and has no clue about anything lol) is referring to is one of the properties of an AESA radar, wherein through the use of lots of clever tricks, makes their detection harder. Passive detection equipment listens and looks for emissions, these radars use a variety of tricks to make it difficult to pick them up, classify and detect them. A really simple example is dropping their power, hopping around different frequencies to then drop below the 'noise floor', making it a lot more difficult for them to be picked up compared to other background clutter and emissions.

What happened here was that there was some confusion whether this was in reference to the building of the KLJ-7A or whether it was an actual domestic development. It was all just so unclear at the time

Will it be possible or practical to upgrade the F-16s with the local AESA? I suppose the US will refuse to provide spares once the PAF replaces the avionics suite? Of course, our AA missile stocks and EO/targeting pods will become useless.
Possible, sure, practical, probably not, the US would not be too pleased with doing so id assume.

Last edited:
Those talking about frequency, dont understand how radars and RWR works.

If radar can track an object, it means radar can receive a strong enough signal back to detect it. Meaning that the jet being tracked, which gets atleast a 4x stronger signal, can Identify it pretty easily. AESA is harder to jam, correct. Not stealth. Any radar, when tracking another will give off RWR notification.
This is not accurate in any way shape or form. Radar tech has developed to the point where the goal is to now make detection of those radars harder for passive sensors. There are numerous ways of achieving this. One that has been mentioned frequently on this thread is frequency agility.

It seems media is just copy pasting information from social media.No official source of claims
You will never get an official source, however, the reason it has taken so long for it to be published there is that Shephard require the information provided to be verifiable and factual, to do this without official confirmation meant a wide variety of information has to be collected.

PDF broke the story first.
Original news is by Shephard Media. ProPakistani simply copy pasted without any attribution.

Pakistan moves ahead with domestic AESA radar development​

you know you are a fool when you open your mouth without any technical or general knowldge.
Aesa radars utilize different frequency signal every time. This rapid change of signal makes it difficult for the other jet to identify if it is being painted by it. This feature also enables jamming of aesa nearly impossible as you donot know which frequency you need to jam.
There are many in Pakistan who are just looting it but there are also many in Pakistan who have worked day and night to study science and technology and are contributing towards Pakistani society.
AESA radars can transmit in different frequencies simultaneously, this makes it harder to differentiate the Radar radiation from background radiation.
Thats indeed is a great news. i expect to see all aircrafts retrofitted with domestically fitted AESA radars and i wont be surprised if UAVs are also going to use them.
Outstanding development. Ultimately cost effective home grown AESA solutions for AEW&C for round the clock surveillance of nation's skies and adversary's should be one of the prime goals.

Back
Top Bottom