What's new

China’s export controls on gallium likely to hit US defense industry: experts

I think you can not comprehend the concept of defense companies being a much higher priority than consumer companies.

Whatever the supply is the defense companies will get it first and they will determine the priorities of who gets what.

Maybe Indonesia has a policy of their consumer companies just telling their defense companies and government to go F themselves because they don't want to lose money.

I think that would be a great way to get shutdown.

I think you can not comprehend that what Raytheon supply to Europe can be substituted by European defense industries, although might not be really on par.

That means Europe defense should not be threatened, while Europe technology and economy could be threatened if they can't produce enough due to limited gallium & germanium.

I think you can not comprehend that what Raytheon supply to Europe can be substituted by European defense industries, although might not be really on par.

That means Europe defense should not be threatened, while Europe technology and economy could be threatened if they can't produce enough due to limited gallium & germanium.

Would you STOP focusing on just Raytheon.
You are not comprehending the situation at all.

Think of all the US defense contractors and US defense suppliers as one big single entity. For instance like the National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA):

Then think of all the European defense contractors and their EU suppliers as one big single entity. For instance something like the EDA (European Defense Agency)

These two entities hand each other parts continuously and work closely together. This not some hate/hate relationship like Pakistan/India.

If Raytheon has a problem the two entities will come to some kind of agreement as to how to solve it. They aren't going to say "screw Raytheon..use the gallium for wind turbines" and just keep handing parts back and forth as if nothing happened. It doesn't work that way.

The two entities may be two different competitive teams but they play in the same Western league. They aren't going to put their league out of business.

If one team is calling some member of the other team names they should then expect the entire other team to jump to his defense. You are being ridiculous thinking the team will sit idly by. Raytheon is not living in a vacuum with nobody to their left or right.

Last edited:
i always say, put your money where your mouth is,

if people think US MIC is going to collapse because of chief terror material scientist xi they should short US MIC stocks

1688587123463.png

It's one of those elements that really aren't found in ore veins. More like as you are refining something and Gallium is a contaminant and you just bucket it up instead of throwing it in the junk pit.

The reason the US has not been manufacturing rare earths is it requires a large investment to process and ensure it does not damage the environment. China is the global supplier to Japan, Sth Korea, the EU and the US.

It is ours.

the northwestern mountains in Afghanistan contain these minerals . Probably why west went into Afghanistan. They just haven¿t been able to mine them. Russia tried in the past and failed too.

The reason the US has not been manufacturing rare earths is it requires a large investment to process and ensure it does not damage the environment. China is the global supplier to Japan, Sth Korea, the EU and the US.

I totally agree. Europe offshored much of it too.

It's a dirty business. Land gets permanently destroyed, rivers get polluted with horrible chemicals, toxic smoke residues from smoke stacks land in agricultural fields. People get cancer, etc.

..and for what? So somebody in Bulgaria can get a cheap phone..that they end up throwing away after 5 years in the local landfill. That was worth the tradeoff??? People really need to step back and think this out. I really don't have much sympathy for some short-life consumer product that required this level of destruction. That ore is gone and and a big hole is left in the ground for the next 1000 generations of citizens to stare and ponder "why?".

If China wants to be #1 at doing this..fine with me...go ahead full speed...dig baby dig..i'll buy that disposable phone!!

If the US needs a small mine to maintain some defense tech then sure...but let's not waste it on millions of consumer products. Maybe just buying a 20 year stockpile would be cheaper.

the northwestern mountains in Afghanistan contain these minerals . Probably why west went into Afghanistan. They just haven¿t been able to mine them. Russia tried in the past and failed too.

Good...leave the mountains alone. Sheesh!

Last edited:
My guess is that the largest users (by tonnage) of gallium arsenide and gallium nitride are LED makers. So a shortage of these materials may make Christmas lights more expensive! Big deal ...

I totally agree. Europe offshored much of it too.

It's a dirty business. Land gets permanently destroyed, rivers get polluted with horrible chemicals, toxic smoke residues from smoke stacks land in agricultural fields. People get cancer, etc.

..and for what? So somebody in Bulgaria can get a cheap phone..that they end up throwing away after 5 years in the local landfill. That was worth the tradeoff??? People really need to step back and think this out. I really don't have much sympathy for some short-life consumer product that required this level of destruction. That ore is gone and and a big hole is left in the ground for the next 1000 generations of citizens to stare and ponder "why?".

If China wants to be #1 at doing this..fine with me...go ahead full speed...dig baby dig..i'll buy that disposable phone!!

If the US needs a small mine to maintain some defense tech then sure...but let's not waste it on millions of consumer products.

Good...leave the mountains alone. Sheesh!

They are not that rare. It is the cost of extraction which makes them rare, and expensive. Military needs them to not only for consumers and public

For some of these rare earth metals China is literally the only global supplier and controls almost 100% of the commercially viable deposits. If China does restrict exports it will cause massive consequences as there are no alternatives which can be used. Boeing and Raytheon will be especially concerned by this move as rare earth metals are vital to the modern defence industry. You can't make the complex sensors used in missiles and planes without them

China dominates with 80% production of primary low-purity gallium because of low prices.
Gallium is a bi product when refining bauxite to aluminium, which happens outside China too. Gallium used to be produced by various processing plants, but they shut down production due to low gallium prices. If demand is going to raise gallium prices, processing plants outside China will restart production of this primary low-purity gallium that China is exporting.

Would you STOP focusing on just Raytheon.
You are not comprehending the situation at all.

Think of all the US defense contractors and US defense suppliers as one big single entity. For instance like the National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA):

Then think of all the European defense contractors and their EU suppliers as one big single entity. For instance something like the EDA (European Defense Agency)

These two entities hand each other parts continuously and work closely together. This not some hate/hate relationship like Pakistan/India.

If Raytheon has a problem the two entities will come to some kind of agreement as to how to solve it. They aren't going to say "screw Raytheon..use the gallium for wind turbines" and just keep handing parts back and forth as if nothing happened. It doesn't work that way.

The two entities may be two different competitive teams but they play in the same Western league. They aren't going to put their league out of business.

If one team is calling some member of the other team names they should then expect the entire other team to jump to his defense. You are being ridiculous thinking the team will sit idly by. Raytheon is not living in a vacuum with nobody to their left or right.

So you believe this kind of mutual cooperation will make US able to push EU effectively in order to sacrifice EU's technology and economy interest? Go ahead.

But I invite you to see how even US is taking so hard effort to make EU surrender her interest in working with Huawei and ZTE for the sake of their national security either. The impact of not working with Huawei on EU's economy wont be as severe a the impact of sacrificing their national tech company (Alstom, ASML, ABB, Siemens, etc) to loose their market.

Back
Top Bottom