What's new

PAF successfully test-fires indigenously developed long-range smart weapon from JF-17 Thunder

Gentlemen, I am hearing some interesting chatter on this test. Apparently this smart weapon has a range greater than 300 Kms - in fact closer to 600kms!! This is because Pakistan is not a signatory to MTCR treaty so the range of the weapon has been extended. Also the weapon is most likely 'Satellite Guided'.
If this is true, all indian cities within 600 km range, which includes indian capital NEW Delhi, can be targeted!!

Even if Pakistan was a member of MTCR it can develop missiles with ranges exceeding 300km. MTCR's range clause is for exports only. If a missile is built for own military you can build ICBMs and the MTCR won't give a hoot.

Besides this appears to be a glide bomb, not a missile. Perhaps an improved version of H-4.

Pakistan needs to now work on longer range BVR

Indian cargo, tankers and AWACS should be a our targets

Long range missiles should now be priority

For years we thought Indo-Pak conflict will be WVR

Not the case after the BVR kills

Now get the Egyptian Air Force on the line and sort out a JF17 vs Rafale training exercise

We need to teach Rafale a lesson

Gentlemen, I am hearing some interesting chatter on this test. Apparently this smart weapon has a range greater than 300 Kms - in fact closer to 600kms!! This is because Pakistan is not a signatory to MTCR treaty so the range of the weapon has been extended. Also the weapon is most likely 'Satellite Guided'.
If this is true, all indian cities within 600 km range, which includes indian capital NEW Delhi, can be targeted!!

Sir g it was not a Cruise Missile test

The H4 which use a booster, can achieve the declared range of 120KMs. This was developed in early 2000s, nearly two decades ago. H2 (60kms), H4 (120Kms) and REKs (100kms) were used in PAF counterstrikes on Indian targets on 27th. Similar booster could have been used here as well with this classified weapon system to extend the range to 300kms+.

This can wipe out all IAF western airbases, FOBs. This was not testing but messaging. Their aircrafts may get airborne but wont find the place to land.
Simple physics ..
If its glide bomb its range will be ~60km
If its rocket boasted glide bomb range will be 120-150km
If its a true crusie missle its range can be anything i.e beyond 150km

My guess
It's a rocket boasted glide bomb may be avariant of raptor3 or h4

Simple physics ..

My guess

Not just simple physics but simple logic as well.

If we had the SOWS with 100km+ range two decades ago, I doubt we will be sitting on our back side not improving and designing new stuff.

So it is a glide bomb rather than a missile

A glide bomb is not "taweel Fasley" (long range) ffs
I don't know why every one loves to behave stupid here and some are PL-15 while it clearly said "indeginious" and "smart", and the rest are glide bomb while it says "long range".

should have done it few weeks ago so we could have tested it live.

who says we didn't? :sniper:

A modified version of SD 10 and PL series but it has longer range even more then PL15 exact range will never be disclosed and it has stealth features and its. What struck the SU 30 , PAF just announcing it now but they been.deployed back in 2018, on some of JFT blk 3 now dont ask me are blk 3 already ;):wave::enjoy:in use ?

are you being sarcastic or actually believing that yourself?

Simple physics ..

My guess
H4 is raptor 2

Yup but we have that for a decades..raptor3 could have been adopted in the new thunder..it has even bettee range than h4/raptor2
H4 is a great stand off range weapon with over 100KM striking range. I think it would be better to make cruise missile-cum stand off range which can reach 300+Km because ultimately a stand off range weapon has limitations too.

Pakistan needs to now work on longer range BVR

Indian cargo, tankers and AWACS should be a our targets

Long range missiles should now be priority

For years we thought Indo-Pak conflict will be WVR

Not the case after the BVR kills

Now get the Egyptian Air Force on the line and sort out a JF17 vs Rafale training exercise

We need to teach Rafale a lesson
Qatar is also getting Rafaels, F15s etc....

Ahh "export" versions Ahh...

H4 is a great stand off range weapon with over 100KM striking range. I think it would be better to make cruise missile-cum stand off range which can reach 300+Km because ultimately a stand off range weapon has limitations too.
rt5gNv3.jpg

Raptor 3 is around 300km and is much cleaner size wise and will make better sense Than h4

This is h4 which has drop off boaster
7jJEAYB.jpg

I hope its a the raptor 3 that would make jf17 very deadly in strike mission especially if it could be mass produced

The trajectory doesn't appear to be a missile. For people stating "long range" well that could be a number of things. I would say 60km for a bomb os a reasonably long range (glide bombs like JDAM, GIDS REKS, H2, LS-6/Takbir).

I would suggest disregding that chatter as nonsense.

An unpowered glide bomb is lucky to get 60km from a good height and perfect launch parameters..
Leave alone ridiculous numbers such as those.

Hey Oscar, yes agreed there is no way a glide bomb can do this range. However, since the PAF deliberately blackened the weapon in their release video, and then specifically used the words 'Long Range', people are speculating that it was not a glide bomb but a hybrid, and also the massive explosion was not your usual glide bomb exploding.

I was saying above that ASSUMING that this is a new weapon with a long range, then the only way to achieve it by the use of jet engine tailkit.

Hey Oscar, yes agreed there is no way a glide bomb can do this range. However, since the PAF deliberately blackened the weapon in their release video, and then specifically used the words 'Long Range', people are speculating that it was not a glide bomb but a hybrid, and also the massive explosion was not your usual glide bomb exploding.

I was saying above that ASSUMING that this is a new weapon with a long range, then the only way to achieve it by the use of jet engine tailkit.
I'd like to think 'long-range' or 'extended-range' essentially means 'stand-off range'. However, you don't need to be at 300 km to achieve 'stand-off', just enough to let you hit an enemy target from safety. That can mean 60 km, 120 km, 280 km, 350 km, 550 km, 1,500 km, etc.

Besides that, there are several parts at play:

1. The munition has a gliding mechanism (a wing and tail kit), but we already have the REK/Takbir, so why hide this munition? Hence the idea that it's something new and not just REK/Takbir.

2. Based on what others said above, this munition may be able to penetrate hardened/reinforced targets, which indicates that it might be more than just a REK'D Mark 80-series dumb bomb.

2A: But if we recall the Small Diameter Bomb, GBU-37, and the like, then penetration warheads are not the same as dumb bombs, they're designed differently.
So based on the above, did AWC (?) make a guided, stand-off range penetration bomb?

Back
Top Bottom