What's new

PAF can counter India’s new war doctrine, says air chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
cold start is nothing but hype if it was real we would have seen action after 26/11 the IAF and IA are more than capable of acting in such a scenario but unlike in Pakistan the military is kept on a tight leash by the political establishment in India besides Congress would lose their precious Muslim vote bank if retaliation was taken out on Pakistan or if Qasab is executed.

Guys, why are we slinging mud at each other.
The PAF chief said what he must to keep the moral of the force and the people high. Also i don't think he said that just for keeping the moral high. His analyst and high command should have conceived a better approch if IAF is ever to venture into Pakistan in the future.

Note - I don't think there will be a war in the future. These birds are just for training and show on both sides of the border.

history shows the shortcomings of strategic thinking in Pakistan
PAF's plight was exposed during the Pakistan army's incursion into the Kargil sector of Indian Kashmir in the summer of 1999. Analysis by Pakistani experts revealed that when the rubber met the road, PAF simply refused to play any part in support of the Pakistan army, angering the latter. While PAF fighters did fly Combat Air Patrols (CAP) during the conflict, they stayed well within Pakistani air space. On occasions, IAF MiG-29s armed with the deadly R-77 BVR Air-to-Air missiles were able to lock on to PAF F-16s, forcing the latter to disengage. In the absence of a PAF threat, the IAF was able to deliver numerous devastating strikes on intruder positions and supply dumps.

the PAF is only now being experienced with BVR combat whereas the IAF has a decades lead on that type of warfare especially with better a2a aircraft like the MKI armed with the highly capable R-77

Ok heard something about High Mark exercise ? Do you think that PAF hasn't done any exercises lately to test its operational capabilities and doctrine ? We bought the AWACS almost at the same time :lol: So ? Would you mind changing your statement now ?

Come on, read my post again, will help you..it is a process. Its not a USB port to plug in.

good

@indianspetsnaz
you contradicted your post, your quotes from the past dont apply. what PAF chief is talking about is NOW. noth what we didnt have in the past. and like Sandy explained... its an evolving concept and ever changing with time.

we are not in a like for like match. you need to look towards China for that.
what we have in place is to counter your doctrine towards Pakistan and that considers whatever youhave at the moment.

my point is that the IAF has more experience in BVR combat and your doctrine may be able to keep the IAF at bay for a couple of days but numerical and qualitative superiority will prevail after that

another D!ck measuring contest i see?

after reading the first page of this thread i'm guessing the pages that follow after go like this

Pakistanis:PAF better trained pilots 1 PAF pilot = 5 Yindu air force pilot PAF shot down Russian and Israeli 40 years ago so therefore we are better than Indians

Indians:we have better aircraft and more aircraft so therefore we are better and Pakistan

blah blah blah blah

lets be honest here guys if a conflict were to occur all IAF and PAF bases along the border would be wiped out in a matter of minutes

the PAF is a well trained force but lacks any dedicated air superiority fighters the only fighter that actually poses a threat to the IAF is the F-16 Block 52 which the PAF has only 18 of the rest of the F-16 fleet is whatever PAF procured in the 80's the IAF has the SU30MKI MiG-29 for air superiority missions the Mirage 2000 and Jaguar for strike missions/CAS

the PAF is indeed expanding with addition of JF-17 fighters which have BVR ability but remember during the Kargil war Indian MiG-29's from the black archers sqdn gained a missile lock on 2 PAF F-16 MiG-29's had BVR missiles whereas the PAF F-16's did not the PAF is a force that is almost unbeatable when it comes to dog fighting but when it comes to BVR combat the IAF is leagues ahead especially with the SU-30MKI a fighter that can carry 12AAM's and can act as a mini AWACS

images

this is indeed the Sher of the IAF

but i have no doubt the PAF will put up a good fight when it comes to air to air combat problem is the era of dog fighting is over modern a2a combat is all about BVR which the IAF is considerably more experienced and better trained in.

Are our IAF training is really low in comparison with that of PAF , that in a dogfight a PAF pilot will have an advantage,
NOM ment , but if its true then IAF should look into this also , rather than acquiring fancy toys .

Hi,

By 2015 almost entire PAF would be BVR capable and linked to AWACs.

India will not have Rafale before 2015. Which means....PAF will have upper hand with respect to equipment across the board.

What will be the determining factor?

A side which can keep it's resources flowing for long, attack aggressively to counter the attacking nemesis.

Which means, PAF must keep the option of pre-emptive strikes, with both the aircraft and the standoff weapons...open.
Sir,
By 2015 most of PAF inventory will be linked to Awacs and BVR capable, doesn’t explain how PAF will have an upper hand. IAF mig 29’s, M2K, Su30MKI, Mig21 Bison are all BVR capable and linked to Phalcons at present. MKI’s and M29’s follow the BVR regime of firing a salvo of two BVR missiles for every lock (passive and active) making evasion more difficult. (although I am not a very big believer in BRV regime). PAF doesn’t need to worry about the rafale that will come after 2015, but what they do need to worry about its about the much more potent 130 Super SU30MKI’s, nirbhay/brahmos capable and with RVV MD and RVV SD with the AESA radar.

Hi,

It is not that---and seemingly---suddenly everybody has gone blind----what The ACM is talking about the application of the AIM 120 in the blk52's and the upcoming upgrades----the AIM 120 is the game changer as of now----the playing field is not in favour of IAF anymore.

Sir,
R77-AE-RVV SD, and RVV-MD out ranges AIM 120. MD is on offer and the SD is speculated to be in service already with the super mki upgrade. M2k Upgrade will be Meteor capable in very short time, and then there is the future rafale!

This portion I cant get. Provided the heavy AWACS operations from each side, how will you evade the superiority platforms in a strike package? both teams knew what is coming against each other. There will be hardly any kinda surprises.

Moreover, IMO each other will target the enemy's AWACS and command centers first.
Sir,
Detecting doesn’t mean defeating, Ambushes are usually done by low flying configuration interceptors and jammers and dummies can be employed to create ground clutter. Even if detected, BVR missiles do not ensure kills. If the combat reaches WVR, then its numbers and tactics, 8 F16’s can overwhelm a strike package 10 air interdiction Mirages and 6 mki/m29 flying air superiority, even if the stike package has to jettison its combat load to get into the fight, the interceptors have done their job and can dis engage. The objective is to foil the strike mission not necessarily play red baron.
Then BVR regime also lets PAF fire a salvo and disengage to upset the strike package missions if detected by their radars.

Adding to my previous posts, the primary objective of both the armies would be to cripple each others net centric warfare systems. At any level of conflict better battle management systems and situational awareness will provide the edge.
Last I heard was an exercise, undertaken by a reputed Indian private firm to simulate the ability of the Indian battle management system to absorb damages in first 24 hrs of hostility. This study was done about # years ago and results were not satisfactory hence there has been systems upgrades at war footing on installing ground network radars and additional redundancies in communication routing systems. I cannot go into any more details on this topic. There is a requirement for 5 more Phalcon systems, I am not sure how well this requirement can be offset by the DRDO built Awacs systems.

The key for the beginning punches by the IAF would be to forget the losses and try and overwhelm Pakistani defences with cruise missiles and stand off missiles followed by closely coordinated Air interdiction missions to take down their c4i systems, trying to catch them off guard. On the other hand if there is any miscalculation the and the PAF is aware of the first blow, and they can offset the the strike with an effective denial of Iaf objective, then its going to be hell for IAF, There will be high attritions, counter attacks by PAF.
Another space about the CSD that worries me is , a heavy fraction of IAF will be pulled for CAS roles for the IBG’s. mig 27’s and Jag darins wouldn’t cut the entire program, and I am pretty sure, MKI’s will be called off for the CAS roles cutting the edge from the strike roles. Another big problem area which will cause IAF headache will be Chinese involvement. India will need to station nearly 1/4th of its strength towards china border, which makes me think. Most senior pilots go into PAF conflict leaving rookies to china border. Any attempt by say few PLAAF fighters or say PAF fighters flying PLAAF a/c will be a big big gamble for IAF.
I have always maintained the fact that rafales and sukhois are not the most important platform for India, the hopes of IAF are pinned on the lCA Mk2 , If the project is completed on time expect around 450 units to fly in Indian colors, that makes all the existing strike platforms flying strike missions and not defensive or CAS missions. That will add some serious teeth to IAF capability.
Regarding Farkhor base, it is surrounded by ambiguity, no one really knows for sure whats going on there. Placing 12-24 mig 29 won’t make much of a difference to PAF, we are not USA that we can project power through a foreign base. Even if there is sqdn of fighters there, what logistic support will we have there.

Sandy, will reply to you tomorrow, have to write alot n' now not in a situation

Are our IAF training is really low in comparison with that of PAF , that in a dogfight a PAF pilot will have an advantage,
NOM ment , but if its true then IAF should look into this also , rather than acquiring fancy toys .

not really IAF SU-30M and MKI bested RAF EFT's in dog fighting and USAF F-15C in dog fighting as well

RAF Tornado pilots were candid in their admission of the Su-30 MKI's superior manoeuvring in the air

Part three: the Exercise

By Dawn's Early Light: Losing a Battle to Win a War

Although service officials have been reluctant to detail how the Indians performed against the six F-15Cs from the 3rd Wing that participated in Cope India, Rep. Duke Cunningham (R-CA) said in a Feb. 26 House Appropriations defense subcommittee hearing that U.S. F-15Cs were defeated more than 90 percent of the time in direct combat exercises against the IAF."

PAF pilots are good dog fighters because PAF training institutions focus heavily on those training modules even today this is the case IAF pilots following Russian training modules switched to BVR after the addition of MiG-29 fighters in the 80's the PAF has F-16's which is arguably the worlds best dog fighter but only now are they adding BVR missiles to their F-16's and this means change of focus in training from dog fighting to BVR combat. the IAF pilots are trained in both dog fighting and BVR combat thanks to its prestigious training institutions.

reliance on BVR is risky because remember in the Vietnam war the USAF pilots relied on their faulty BVR missiles and were not prepared in dog fighting the VNAF pilots had training in dog fighting which is why they preformed very well there were several vietnamese pilots who became aces in the war.

One important thing you missed out is that after pakistan launches a pre emptive strike, it is declaring a state of war and the entire indian war machine will be galvanized, and having far greater resources, manpower and strategic depth is bound to win in a to the death brawl.

for eg: In this video, notice how the indian carrier was loitering around until PAF did the pre emptive strike in 1971. Immediately after which it sprung to action causing a grave problem to pakistan.

Indian Navy at war 1971 east - YouTube

the only war before the PAF pre emtive strike were the proxy wars. please refer or give reference

1971 was easy for India.... No need to be impressed. Bangladesh was nothing but an empty territory.
When Pakistani soldiers were in Bangladesh, then where the hell do you think they would escape??
Bangladesh was never supposed to be part of Pakistan and technically, it does not make sense.
India in between, West Pak and East Pak. No chance for our soldiers to escape or defend on all fronts...
This was not even a true war. It was nothing but easy. True Pakistan lies in the West, i would like to see the same 71 offence doctrine happening now.
If Indians think that they can repeat 71 like situation, then they are just wet dreaming.
India never decided to come inside Pakistan for long. Can it do so now?
All of their violations in Pak air space has always been monitored uptill now, including Su-30s. There have been no glitches as of now against India...

not really IAF SU-30M and MKI bested RAF EFT's in dog fighting and USAF F-15C in dog fighting as well

Part three: the Exercise

Hi,

To use vietnam era references regarding BVR at this stage in technology advancement---is silly, lack of common sense, lack of knowledge about the product and absolutely and totally outrageous .

The 60's era missiles were stupid and dumb---the 21st century missiles are smart and pro-active---and the have a plethora of technology backing them as well. In the 60's a 1000 yds shot with a sniper rifle was worthy of a MEDAL OF HONOR---today a 1000 yds shot is a common thing ( even though it rdequires great experties ).

There are no more faulty bvr missiles any more. They are smart and smarter than their predecessors.

Air force like the usaf have changed their air to air combat tactics---Chogy can shed a better light on them---. Fighter air craft will be fighting from their position of strength---except for pakistanis----. Out of habbit---they will chose to fight from their position of weakness, because they believe that they are so good at it.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

1971 was easy for India.... No need to be impressed. Bangladesh was nothing but an empty territory.
When Pakistani soldiers were in Bangladesh, then where the hell do you think they would escape??
Bangladesh was never supposed to be part of Pakistan and technically, it does not make sense.
India in between, West Pak and East Pak. No chance for our soldiers to escape or defend on all fronts...
This was not even a true war. It was nothing but easy. True Pakistan lies in the West, i would like to see the same 71 offence doctrine happening now.
If Indians think that they can repeat 71 like situation, then they are just wet dreaming.
India never decided to come inside Pakistan for long. Can it do so now?
All of their violations in Pak air space has always been monitored uptill now, including Su-30s. There have been no glitches as of now against India...

Hi,

There will be no more violations---the blk52 bvr's have changed the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom