What's new

PAF Air Refueling Capability

Yes. If we get Y-20 or even Y-8 based refueller, then we can put the Midas's to other more pressing tasks. Get moe Midas as well.

No need to decide do we need a refueller or an airlifter.
MRTT was the desire. Sikandar Durrani gave us the gift of these EOL birds. PAF wishes to get Airbus MRTT so Falcons can also get juice mid-air but those are not cheap and Airbus DS is represented by another character called Major Asad Zahoor. Enough said.

MRTT was the desire. Sikandar Durrani gave us the gift of these EOL birds. PAF wishes to get Airbus MRTT so Falcons can also get juice mid-air but those are not cheap and Airbus DS is represented by another character called Major Asad Zahoor. Enough said.
I always maintained that the good thing about the A330 MRTT is that of its fuel efficiency and airliner level life cycle costs. Too bad they didn't hold off on the IL-78, wait and then push for 3 A330 MRTT.

I always maintained that the good thing about the A330 MRTT is that of its fuel efficiency and airliner level life cycle costs. Too bad they didn't hold off on the IL-78, wait and then push for 3 A330 MRTT.

It is also driven by the fact that 310 MRTT or 330 MRTT was not available, as competing for Indian contract.

It is also driven by the fact that 310 MRTT or 330 MRTT was not available, as competing for Indian contract.
Has the availability status changed? If not for the Indian contract, I imagine Cobham (i.e. manufacturer of the MRTT's hose-and-drogue system) contracting work out to India is now a problem too?

Has the availability status changed? If not for the Indian contract, I imagine Cobham (i.e. manufacturer of the MRTT's hose-and-drogue system) contracting work out to India is now a problem too?

Cobham FRL's current team is run by a bunch of idiots who are not ready to understand the Pakistani process, otherwise they would have sold something long time ago.

Midas tankers after the upgrade should be good for many years to come

The engines are noisy as hell but that can be addressed

Ukraine still has surplus tankers acquiring more of these wouldn't be a bad idea

Pakistan and India

Both Pakistan and India operate the Ilyushin Il-78MKI Midas to refuel their fleets of fighters. The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) acquired four of these Russian monsters with a hose and drogue system in in each wing, between late-2009 and late-2011. They are used to refuel the PAF’s huge fleet of Mirages and growing number of JF-17s. A Ukrainian team worked with PAF Base Nur Khan-based No 14 Sqn to train personnel in the early days of operations, but this has now been taken over by PAF personnel.

The Il-78s also provide the PAF with a long haul strategic airlift capability which sees them on regular visits to Europe. The PAF has a requirement for a boom-equipped tanker for it 60-strong fleet of F-16s, but the USAF is unwilling to sell or donate KC-135Rs and other options are too expensive.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) operates a fleet of six Il-78MKIs, acquired in 2004 and based with 78 Sqn at Agra Air Force Station. They work with Dassault Mirage 2000s, Sukhoi Su-30MKIs and SEPECAT Jaguars. Like the PAF, the IAF is keen to acquire a more modern tanker. It has gone several steps further than its long-time antagonist though by selecting the A330MRTT in May 2009 only to be cancelled because of the high cost. After a re-bidding process was launched in 2012, the A330MRTT was selected again in 2013. However, in June 2016, the Indian Government terminated the six-year $2 billion tender for six tankers, citing the high cost once again. Airbus has vowed to work the Indian Government in ‘finding a way to bringing the A330MRTT’s capabilities to India.’

Air Refuelling Proliferates
By Alan Warnes - July 25, 2018

Both Pakistan and India operate the Ilyushin Il-78MKI Midas to refuel their fleets of fighters.
That is wrong. India operates the Il-78 MKI not the PAF.
Edit: Differences are quite a few between the two:
Il-78 MKI is based on the Il-76MD-90A with the much improved PS-90 Engines(Which also equip the A-50EI of the IAF) vs. the D-30KP on the PAF Aircraft(Same as that in the Il-76 in service with the IAF), the Il-78MKI uses Israeli Refuelling Systems vs. Soviet/Russian on the PAF Aircraft and the capacity is also larger for the Il-78 MKI at 110T vs. 85T for the PAF Bird. But the PAF Aircraft can be used as a transport plane whereas the IAF aircraft is a pure tanker.

Last edited:
That is wrong. India operates the Il-78 MKI not the PAF(The Refuelling systems are from Israel for the IAF Aircraft while the Soviet/Russian origin systems are on board the PAF birds). And the PAF Il-78 can be used as a transport aircraft too whereas the IAF version is a pure tanker.
Also the carrying capacity is superior for the Il-78 MKI at about 110T vs. 85T for the PAF bird.
True!

Their main job, as I see is, to extend range at the coast and more importantly help maintain an air hold.

EZ0ZtSyX0AAg2Ie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom