What's new

PAF Air Refueling Capability

Hey Chogy, do you know the fuel capacity of the newer refueling stores (Pods) by any chance? I am familiar with the TE20400 with basket and a Drogue generator which had a capacity of only 300 Gallons and weighted close to 2300LBS with the refueling hose that stretched out about 50ft.

BTW, good to see you here.

Thank you. :)

I don't know their capacity. They are pretty simple objects, so I would guess they could be engineered in various sizes depending upon what airframe they are hung.

300 gallons doesn't sound like much, but for a fighter (especially a helicopter) it is a lifesaver. I'd prefer to see refueling pods closer to 8000 pounds. Better yet, probe refueling which can completely top off an F-16 in just a couple of minutes.

Il76s you mean?

Yes.. I could make out one with pods clearly from the window.. the others were a little blended in with the darkness that is Islamabad airport.

Uh chogy.. it is my understanding that the KC-10 is the only USAF aircraft capable of refueling probe equipped jets.... or did they refit some 135s as well?

Thank you. :)

I don't know their capacity. They are pretty simple objects, so I would guess they could be engineered in various sizes depending upon what airframe they are hung.

300 gallons doesn't sound like much, but for a fighter (especially a helicopter) it is a lifesaver. I'd prefer to see refueling pods closer to 8000 pounds. Better yet, probe refueling which can completely top off an F-16 in just a couple of minutes.

Yea I know, 300G ain't that much that why I was asking to see any improvements in load capacity. I suppose you could carry multiple pods but then again that increase pilot work load and time to fuel.

Lets see, 300G works out to be around just under 4000lbs (4K)....hell that is minimum landing fuel on some aircrafts I know but like you said (and like I have heard from experienced Naval pilots) that can get you out of a pickle.

DSC_5350.jpg

Uh chogy.. it is my understanding that the KC-10 is the only USAF aircraft capable of refueling probe equipped jets.... or did they refit some 135s as well?

I made a mistake - I meant to say BOOM refueling. Both KC-10 and KC-135 started their lives as boom tankers for the USAF, when aircraft like the B-52 and C-5 needed to offload enormous amounts of fuel, quickly.

I am a fan of boom refueling, because of the speed of delivery. If you've got 8 fighters to refuel, the entire process speeds up dramatically if the time spent on the boom is only 4 minutes, vs. 12 or so for a basket top-off.

Of course, you've got to use probe and basket for helicopters, so a mix of both is probably best.

Posted it another thread I guess this is an appropriate one.
Was thinking as a low cost platform a tanker variant of Chinese Y-8G IFR a project that is being worked upon. First prototype flew in 2004.

Would it not be feasible and a good IFR Tanker for the PAF to to used with JFTs.
Y-8G.jpg

it is for sure that the paf is in the right direction.but they should not stop here. it is important for a nation to show the world what it is capable of.
having air to air refuelling capability shows that paf is on its move.:yahoo:

but,they must be even more faster.rather than buying tankers and fighters,they must obtain the transfer of technology[TOT] and make them at home , like the indians do. it has given them a lot of experience which helped them with the lca,dhruv,mca,fgfa,arjun MBTetc.

sure,the jf-17,al-khald,al-sarrar etc is a good move in the right direction.
but gaining the capability to make things at home is truely a great deal.
sure that paf will do it in time.
good luck and regards!:tup::tup::tup:

Almost any decently-large airframe can become a tanker, especially if it has aft ramps like the C-130 that can be opened in flight. It can be nothing more advanced than an aluminum tank, welded up to fit the aircraft, and strapped down like a pallet of cargo. The rear door is opened, and the basket extended.

Fuel quantity is limited only by the lifting capability of the platform.

Back
Top Bottom