What's new

Origins of SL war

Exactly. That is why I said in the other thread, Sinhalese has more wrong than Tamil.

But I give them some confident of doubt and question whether British instituted racism against Sinhalese in the first place.

Maybe I institute is a strong word, but I would say British has help Tamils to take over Devil Island, to create a dominant minorities.

I see Sinhalese here try to bluff their way out.

I am quite informed in Devil Island history.
Dude so by devil island you meant Sri Lanka? I thought you are talking about Devil Island in Sri Lanka which is actually a tourist destination. There was no such thing as Sinhalese Only Act. It was the change of national language from English to Sinhalese and back then 90% of the population did not understand English so how did government communicate with the majority of the population who at that time didn't have any English knowledge? And yes, that's what the British empire did and as I said it was belonged to the "divide and rule" tactic.

the British didn't help anyone, The Tamils were hardworking and intelligent than the Sinhalas (like Malays in Singapore/Malaysia) thus they were perceived to be 'favoured' by the British, this irked the Sinhalas both elite and the peasants
Yeah right, can see from who's more successful even in Britain. Even as a diaspora Sinhalese are far more successful abroad than Tamils who are some of the least integrated people. Ironically, the same Lux was talking against Hindus in Singapore that include large sections of Tamils.

British empire gave more rights to the minority as the minority had to depend on the British empire to rule over the island which was a perfect idea on their part.

Dude so by devil island you meant Sri Lanka? I thought you are talking about Devil Island in Sri Lanka which is actually a tourist destination. There was no such thing as Sinhalese Only Act. It was the change of national language from English to Sinhalese and back then 90% of the population did not understand English so how did government communicate with the majority of the population who at that time didn't have any English knowledge? And yes, that's what the British empire did and as I said it was belonged to the "divide and rule" tactic.

the British didn't help anyone, The Tamils were hardworking and intelligent than the Sinhalas (like Malays in Singapore/Malaysia) thus they were perceived to be 'favoured' by the British, this irked the Sinhalas both elite and the peasants

That is one of my doubts I need to clear.

I am quite skeptical about 2 sides of argument. One claim Tamil was there due to meritocracy and the other side says Tamil was there due to British patronage.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I also tends to believe that Hindu Tamil are more incline to ethnic nepotism that make people piss. I observe their conduct in SE Asia including Singapore.

Many Indians here brag they are talent but in realty they are there due to discrimination against others, and they run everything into shit.

I also tends to believe that Hindu Tamil are more incline to ethnic nepotism that make people piss. I observe their conduct in SE Asia including Singapore.

Many Indians here brag they are talent but in realty they are their due to discrimination against others, and they run everything into shit.

Most of the Tamil and Sinhala elite were Christian converts , nepotism is not restricted to religion

That is one of my doubts I need to clear.

I am quite skeptical about 2 sides of argument. One claim Tamil was there due to meritocracy and the other side says Tamil was there due to British patronage.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Many Indians here brag they are talent but in realty they are there due to discrimination against others, and they run everything into shit.
Mate it's common sense to know why the Brits favoured a minority over the majority. This trick was played by many other empires before. Judging by your own experience, I am quite sure that you know which community tends to be more successful and better integrated so his claim of Tamils being intelligent is an utter lie. Most Tamils excluding the Tamils in Colombo have no regards to what outsiders think of them and they have this tendency to claim what's not theirs as theirs. For instance Tamils have attempted to claim Sinhalese history and Sanskrit language (Indo-European) and this manlion himself once claimed that Yazidis in Iraq are related to Tamils which is extremely laughable. It's quite clear that he lives in a fantasy world.

The converts are far more meritocratic and impartial.

Sri Lanka's problem is its Mahavamsa mindset - a fact that the Sinhala Nationalists refuse to acknowledge, a mind set similar to Islamic State - i.e Sri Lanka is the guardian of Theravada Buddhism and non Buddhist are seen as threat to survival of Theravada Buddhism and hence need to convert or be eliminated ..

Mate it's common sense to know why the Brits favoured a minority over the majority. This trick was played by many other empires before. Judging by your own experience, I am quite sure that you know which community tends to be more successful and better integrated. Most Tamils excluding the Tamils in Colombo have no regards to what outsiders think of them and they have this tendency to claim what's not theirs as theirs. For instance Tamils have attempted to claim Sinhalese history and Sanskrit language (Indo-European) and this manlion himself once claimed that Yazidis in Iraq are related to Tamils which is extremely laughable. It's quite clear that he lives in a fantasy world.

In my personal experience, I think in terms of conduct, Sinhalese is better behave. Sri Lanka Tamil is still better than India Tamil. I am not too sure about ethnic nepotism of Sinhalese but I think you guys should not be worse than Indians, else you guys will be as shit.

My take on this is given the tribal behavior of Hindus, they will keep putting their own man in charge in the name of meritocracy.

This is how caste system works. Put all their caste people in charge and tell others they are not talent. Indians bring this conduct to SE Asia. Then brag one caste is talent.

Eventually others will be made Dalits.

Sri Lanka's problem is its Mahavamsa mindset - a fact that the Sinhala Nationalists refuse to acknowledge, a mind set similar to Islamic State - i.e Sri Lanka is the guardian of Theravada Buddhism and non Buddhist are seen as threat to survival of Theravada Buddhism and hence need to convert or be eliminated ..
My parents are Christians who don't practice the religion and we lived in a Buddhist majority area yet we didn't have any problem as you say - convert or die mentality. The problem in Sri Lanka is the lack of flexibility of all ethnic groups and it results them to fiercely oppose any form of modernity and your mindset is a part of problem.

My parents are Christians who don't practice the religion and we lived in a Buddhist majority area yet we didn't have any problem as you say - convert or die mentality. The problem in Sri Lanka is the lack of flexibility of all ethnic groups and it results them to fiercely oppose any form of modernity and your mindset is a part of problem.

My sympathy in Sinhalese rest on the fact that if you guys do not take down the Tamil elites, you guys will have no chance because these people will keep putting goons and unqualified people into top jobs.

But I say you guys got more wrong, and if this thread goes on, you may see my point.

The main reason why this shit war happen is Indian caste system.

What if Lankan people believe that the top position is going to be win by meritocractic means instead of caste? There wont be war.

In my personal experience, I think in terms of conduct, Sinhalese is better behave. Sri Lanka Tamil is still better than India Tamil. I am not too sure about ethnic nepotism of Sinhalese but I think you guys should not be worse than Indians, else you guys will be as shit.

My take on this is given the tribal behavior of Hindus, they will keep putting their own man in charge in the name of meritocracy.

This is how caste system works. Put all their caste people in charge and tell others they are not talent. Indians bring this conduct to SE Asia. Then brag one caste is talent.

That's my point. Nepotism itself stems from the lack of willingness to integrate into the host society. While in abroad Sinhalese tend to pick up the culture of the majority and integrate whereas Tamils tend to stick to their own kind due to not having any intention to integrate. Sinhalese value relations with people who are outside of their ethnic origin.

You are going off tangent the issue with Lanka is language, ethnicity and power sharing

Yours might be an exceptional - thats not the case with the Sinhala Buddhist government sponsored Tamil genocide

this is Sinhla Mahavamsa mnetality in a nutshell

Ven. Mahanama has created an imaginary link between the three elements, Country-Race-Religion and made it into one unit similar to the Holy Trinity, whereby Sri Lanka (Dhamma Deepa), Buddha's chosen people (Sinhalese), and Buddhism (Buddha Sasana) should be protected for 5000 years. This is known as the Jathika chintanaya or the Mahavamsa mindset and its outcome is the ‘Sinhala-Budda Deepa' and ‘unitary state'. Therefore, for the next 2500 years, a Sinhala Buddhist will never allow a federal state or any autonomy for others (non-Sinhala-Buddhists) in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka | From Sinhala-Buddhism to Civilized Buddhism

My sympathy in Sinhalese rest on the fact that if you guys do not take down the Tamil elites, you guys will have no chance because these people will keep putting goons and unqualified people into top jobs.

But I say you guys got more wrong, and if this thread goes on, you may see my point.

What if Lankan people believe that the top position is going to be win by meritocractic means instead of caste? There wont be war.
I get your point. Meritocratic system is what we want and cast system in Sri Lanka is almost non-existent except for few parts in the north (again you know who's responsible). And irrespective of religion, the educated urban Tamils are quite open minded and they are perfectly integrated into the country. What Sri Lanka needs is one political system where anyone from any ethnic/religious background can participate given that he/she acts according to the interests of the country rather than his/her own ethnicity/religion. It's still easier said than done. There is lot to be done including the need to reduce the gap between urban and rural population in all fields. I think Saradiel has better knowledge in this than me.

Sinhala Buddhism too have caste system -e.g Govigamas, Karavas , Salagama, Rodiyas etc

You are going off tangent the issue with Lanka is language, ethnicity and power sharing

Yours might be an exceptional - thats not the case with the Sinhala Buddhist government sponsored Tamil genocide

this is Sinhla Mahavamsa mnetality in a nutshell

Ven. Mahanama has created an imaginary link between the three elements, Country-Race-Religion and made it into one unit similar to the Holy Trinity, whereby Sri Lanka (Dhamma Deepa), Buddha's chosen people (Sinhalese), and Buddhism (Buddha Sasana) should be protected for 5000 years. This is known as the Jathika chintanaya or the Mahavamsa mindset and its outcome is the ‘Sinhala-Budda Deepa' and ‘unitary state'. Therefore, for the next 2500 years, a Sinhala Buddhist will never allow a federal state or any autonomy for others (non-Sinhala-Buddhists) in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka | From Sinhala-Buddhism to Civilized Buddhism
You keep overhyping Mahawamsa. Even the majority of Sinhalese don't take it seriously. And no, federal system is never needed in a country like Sri Lanka especially considering the fact that Sri Lanka is a very small country. Federal system will only bring segregation and corruption and eventually separatism as seen in India. This is what Lux trying to point out and is a form of nepotism by you. I say once again, what Sri Lanka needs is a centralised system based on meritocracy. About time that you also get over the tribal behaviour and think about the future.

Sinhala Buddhism too have caste system -e.g Govigamas, Karavas , Salagama, Rodiyas etc
It used to be and it was more of a feudal system rather than caste system and it no longer exists except in marriage proposals where everyone is from the same cast . There was no such thing as "untouchable" in that system. Rodiya is an indigenous tribe not a cast.

Back
Top Bottom