What's new

Operation Rah-e-Rast (Swat)

todays speech was a very gud and clever move by our PM.. he not only took his nation into confidence but also told the world that we are not playin polo here... will also boost the morale of our soldiers who will now know that this nation backs them.
PM talked about almost everything. was a gud 20 min speech. covered minorities, islam, pakistan, NAR, and wat not. rit now im hearin it for the second time

And so it begins. A fresh new start, or, the beginning of the end, only time will tell.

InshAllah, the Pakistani people will rally behind the Armed Forces to eliminate this cancer from our great Nation.

PM talked about almost everything. was a gud 20 min speech. covered minorities, islam, pakistan, NAR, and wat not. rit now im hearin it for the second time
Is there a English-language transcript available?

How is the Pakistani media responding? How about Imran Khan? Are the voices that have supported the Taliban in the media being quiet or are they coming out on the side of the GoP and PA decision to battle the Taliban?

Here is Imran Khan's "support":

Government failed to develop consensus on operations

SWABI: The government has failed to develop consensus before launching military operations in Swat, Dir and Buner districts, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI) chief Imran Khan said on Thursday, adding no war could be won without public support. Addressing a press conference after visiting the internally displaced persons (IDPs) camp in Swabi, he said any war won by the army against its own people was never considered a victory but an ignominious defeat. Khan said the military operation was launched in a hurry and the government should have sent a fact-finding mission to the violence-hit districts of Malakand division to know the reasons that caused the collapse of the Swat peace accord.
Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

I solute Pakistan Army. I assured you that we civilians are ready to fight with Pak Amry against these illiterate fools. May God be with you:pakistan:

I don't know why government is tolerating these kind of politician like Imran khan and Munawer hasan. I think they should be in prison for giving Pakistan against statements.

SWABI: The government has failed to develop consensus before launching military operations in Swat, Dir and Buner districts, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI) chief Imran Khan said on Thursday, adding no war could be won without public support. Addressing a press conference after visiting the internally displaced persons (IDPs) camp in Swabi, he said any war won by the army against its own people was never considered a victory but an ignominious defeat. Khan said the military operation was launched in a hurry and the government should have sent a fact-finding mission to the violence-hit districts of Malakand division to know the reasons that caused the collapse of the Swat peace accord.

He is really confused...fact finding missions?
My god this guy is the king of oversimplification these days...god help him and us.
Actually we have been assessing his latest visit to Buner on another thread
http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakistans-war/26263-imran-reaches-buner-meets-operation-affectees.html

How is the Pakistani media responding? How about Imran Khan? Are the voices that have supported the Taliban in the media being quiet or are they coming out on the side of the GoP and PA decision to battle the Taliban?

The media coverage was initially lacking, but since the speech from the PM, its picked up quite a bit. From what I'm seeing on the news, and from what I understand, the majority of the country, particularly the Punjabis and Sindhis, are supporting the military operations. I think the Taleban really shot themselves in the foot by not sticking to the peace deal. Also, what voices in the media have supported Taleban?

he said any war won by the army against its own people was never considered a victory but an ignominious defeat.

He's definitely missed a trick there, the Taleban are not our people, really. Any Pakistani in the Taleban is really a "former-Pakistani". I believe he's talking about civillian casualties, which were quite high before the peace deal. As long as these are avoided, there shouldn't be too much trouble. The way we treat the IDPs, I think, will speak much about our commitment to protecting the innocent.

I am amazed at the interest in Imran Khan's opinions. When did he become so damn important?

It is every Pakistani's Right to donate some amount of money to the NGO's and the agencies who are taking up responisbility to help those who are displaced while this conflict is taking place...

I am glad the Pakistani Army is hitting the Taliban hard this time..

More from CNN

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistan's prime minister formally renounced a peace agreement with Taliban militants Thursday night and announced "decisive steps" to expand the battle in the country's northwest.

The fighting in the Swat Valley region has forced thousands of civilians to abandon their homes.

"To restore the honor and dignity of our homeland and to protect our people, the armed forces have been called in to eliminate the militants and terrorists," Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said in a televised speech.

The agreement effectively ended several weeks ago when Taliban militants violated the deal by refusing to disarm and advancing within 60 miles of Islamabad, Pakistan's capital. Pakistani troops have battled the Taliban in the Buner and Lower Dir districts for the past two weeks.

Fighter jets and helicopter gunships pounded Taliban fighters in Swat on Thursday, and a Pakistani military official said more troops will be joining the 12,000 to 15,000 already in the region.

In Washington, Pakistani President Ali Asif Zardari said after a meeting with U.S. congressional leaders that the offensive would go on until "normalcy" is restored.

Gilani said the government has decided that "decisive steps have to be taken."

"Our reputation among the international community has deteriorated, and we are labeled as terrorists. Now we have taken a firm decision not to stoop before the terrorists," he said.

The now-defunct peace deal allowed the Taliban to implement Islamic law, or sharia, in the Swat Valley region in exchange for an end to fighting.

"I regret to say that our bona fide intention to prefer reconciliation with them was perceived as a weakness on our part," Gilani said. Watch Pakistan renounce a peace agreement with the Taliban

He pledged 1 billion rupees (U.S. $12.4 million) to rebuild areas damaged by the fighting, but he called on the international community for help in taking care of displaced people and training security forces.

Pakistani officials estimated that 40,000 people fled the city of Mingora in northwestern Pakistan on Tuesday and said as many as 500,000 civilians are expected to flee the entire Swat Valley region as the fighting expands.

Government aircraft struck militant training and communications centers Thursday in Gath Peochar and an area called Qambar, where "notorious militant commander namely Shah Duran operates," said Maj. Naser Khan, a Pakistani military spokesman.

In other fighting, a son of a pro-Taliban cleric who negotiated the controversial peace deal in the Swat Valley was killed Thursday morning, Pakistani and Taliban officials said.

Kafayatullah, the son of Islamist fundamentalist leader Sufi Muhammed, died when mortar shells from Pakistani security forces hit a home in the Lower Dir district of Pakistan's North West Frontier Province, said Mehmood Khan, a Taliban commander, and a Pakistani intelligence official who asked not to be identified. The attack took place in the Maiden area.

Fazal Raheem, a police commander in Swat, said militants had besieged a police station there amid a "massive battle" that also saw Taliban fighters battling government troops over an emerald mine.

"Plenty of military contingents from outside have reached here, and this is a big operation," he said. "They are going to obliterate all the roots of this Talibanization."

Khan said government troops had reclaimed an emerald mine that Taliban fighters had seized. He said the militants had used the facility as a headquarters and set off explosions to extract the stones out of rock.

Pakistani troops backed by helicopter gunships and artillery recaptured the mine Wednesday, killing 30 militants in the process, Khan said.

"This mine is now under full control of the army," he said.

Source

Prime minister: Pakistan fights for 'honor and dignity' - CNN.com

Operation to last till normalcy restored, says Zardari
Friday, May 08, 2009

WASHINGTON: President Asif Ali Zardari said on Thursday that military operations against extremists would last until “normalcy” returns to the troubled Swat Valley. “It is going to carry on until life in Swat comes back to normalcy,” Zardari said in reply to a question at a press conference here along with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and US senators John Kerry and Richard Lugar.

He said now the world is aware that terrorism is not confined to Tora Bora in Afghanistan or the mountains of Pakhtoonkhwa. “There is a realisation in the world that we have to form more cooperation to defeat the enemy that we all jointly face...this is a world-wide problem, it is not Afghan or mountains of Pakhtoonkhwa specific. World is coming to this realisation.” The president repeated that Pakistan’s nuclear assets are in safe hands.

Operation to last till normalcy restored, says Zardari

Kayani vows decisive victory over extremists
Friday, May 08, 2009
Calls for national harmony in fight against terror

ISLAMABAD: Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani said on Thursday that Pakistan was a sovereign state and the people under a democratic dispensation, supported by the Army, were capable of handling the present crisis in their own national interest.

He expressed these views while addressing the 118th Corps Commanders’ Conference at the General Headquarters here on Thursday, said an ISPR press release. The conference was part of a regular monthly meeting, the ISPR said.

The Army chief said the present security situation required that all the elements of national power should work in close harmony to fight the menace of terrorism and extremism. Participants of the conference were given a comprehensive briefing on the prevailing security situation in the region. The matters of operational preparedness and professional interest were also discussed in the meeting.

The COAS expressed his satisfaction over the standard and conduct of the ongoing training in the field formations as part of ‘Year of Training’. He said the Pakistan Army had developed full-scale facilities to focus on the low intensity conflict-related operations. The COAS said

the Army was fully aware of the gravity of the internal threat. It would employ requisite resources to ensure a decisive ascendancy over the militants, he said.

Concurrently, the Army was also fully prepared to meet the conventional threat, he said. The COAS lauded the high morale of the Army. He reiterated that with resolute conviction and faith, the Army would successfully confront the current and future challenges with the help of the people.

Kayani vows decisive victory over extremists

who cares about IM the DIM - stick to cricket I say! what!:enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom