What's new

Operating systems: Windows 7/8 Vs Ubuntu

I run windows 8 but start menu was so disappointing that I installed Startisback just the second day . some other thing I had problem with is that you can't disable it asking you Administrative permission when you want to modify some system directory even if you are administrator

How do i get startisback?

I really don't like the new Windows but then again when Windows Vista came out some years back I made noises but ended up loving it.

Probably will be the same situation with Windows 8. I was tooling around with it at the electronics store; seems like people love pop-up menus, widgets and all that stuff like what Apple does with its Macbook pros

What do you use your machine for?

Do you game or do graphics design

or do you just type word documents and grace us with your presence on PDF? :D

mostly gaming and usual stuff, not any professional stuff, i like to use new interactive features, better graphics, more interactive, user friendly, dunno if windows 8 with startitback is worth a try or ubuntu or linux

i have windows 7 nowadays, thinking about upgrading because im tired of it, want to use some new stuff

running win8 machine on all my machines. no particular issues so far.

Been using Ubuntu since jaunty jackalop, never had any problem .However I`ve moved to Fedora now..If you are absolute beginner you should start with Linux MintCinnamon DE ,the most beginner friendly linux distro.:D

Sorry couldnot resist from posting my desktop screenshot:P
Fedora 17 with gnome 3.4
ZoZDH4d.jpg

Jumped from XP to 8 at home while they had the discount offer took a day to get used to the new layout but find it faster reliable and am very happy with the upgrade makes things very easy that i also have a windows 8 phone, now if work would just drag my comps into this century.

Nice thread guys.

I finally stumbled into the proper technology section where people actually post. :D

As for topic, OS X for work, Win7 for net and stuff. Apple is traditionally stable, but MS outdone themselves with 7. It's rock solid. I remember back when i was a teenager with Win98, that crashed like daily. Blue screen of death!

Its rather simple.

I have not go e through all the posts and might be repetitive but here goes my two cents..

All depends upon what your usage is and how well versed you are with technology.

Ubuntu is an excellent OS but fails on user friendliness and the support of various applications..

Windows fails on many things but is easy to use and gets your job done.

Lot of tinkering is still required for Ubuntu to work as you want it to.. Are you willing to spend more time in doing your work rather than tinkering around? The answer is windows..

There is a thread here:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/members-club/102052-linux-corner.html

using Debian from woody's time. currently on fedora 17 temparorily as I need to install Debian on my 180GB 330series SSD which is resting from last july(2k12) on my shelves.
I wish Ubuntu or Fedora to capture mainstream users which is really hard with the windows eco-system where users are constantly intimidated on bugs,anti-virus softwares,demoware,c1apware installation and the many "duties" including right click on desktop "refresh" button to "smoothen ui" and many such futile exercises a windows user love to do.
and yes, windows 7 is nice. I know, it is tough for average joe to move to Linux let alone FreeBSD or OpenBSD ;)

"convert" if u are atleast 5% geeky. if not, stick with windows or mac. :D
We welcome you to 'Make The Move'

get GNU/Linux!

Back
Top Bottom