What's new

Operating systems: Windows 7/8 Vs Ubuntu

Are you running windows 8? How is it compared to windows 7?

Windows 8 is more of window for touch screen devices. I think it is not good for normal laptops or desktop.

Working is almost like win 7 as it is just a modification of it. They added start menu as ascreen not like normal popup thingy-

but i guess windows 7 is good for now unless microsoft comes up with sumthing better than it .

Windows 8 is more of window for touch screen devices. I think it is not good for normal laptops or desktop.

Working is almost like win 7 as it is just a modification of it. They added start menu as ascreen not like normal popup thingy-

but i guess windows 7 is good for now unless microsoft comes up with sumthing better than it .

I am using win7 and it is not much different from xp. But 8 is faster and it takes time to get used to it.

Ubuntu on the whole is a pleasure to use for startup admins due to a host of tools available at their disposal, but if you need a hands-on control on day-day tasks in setting up your own Server environment then Fedora/RHEL is the way to go.

I am only developing a toy application on the side, so I use Ubuntu, but I think you are right that RHEL is probably better if you want an industrial grade HA Linux cluster.

I am only developing a toy application on the side, so I use Ubuntu, but I think you are right that RHEL is probably better if you want an industrial grade HA Linux cluster.
Getting outside the Linux v/s Windows argument, my best experience in developing tools (coming from experience with a Cellular planning system with terrain profiling and parallel GIS updates) has been for Sun Boxes with Solaris. We had parallel dev. with AIX and HP-UX and the one that truly scaled to size was Solaris. Of course, it depends upon the level of comfort u gain with developing MT (Multithreaded apps) on each one of those, but boy, did Solaris blow.

I am using win7 and it is not much different from xp. But 8 is faster and it takes time to get used to it.

As i said it is wonderful for touch screen . Quick startup and bit faster but then its the same when you install 3rd party apps.

As for now windows 7 is good to go .:toast_sign:

Getting outside the Linux v/s Windows argument, my best experience in developing tools (coming from experience with a Cellular planning system with terrain profiling and parallel GIS updates) has been for Sun Boxes with Solaris. We had parallel dev. with AIX and HP-UX and the one that truly scaled to size was Solaris. Of course, it depends upon the level of comfort u gain with developing MT (Multithreaded apps) on each one of those, but boy, did Solaris blow.

Litte arguing on that, Solaris on SUN is a beast;
but AIX on an p-series is a bigger beast !

and thus a whole jungle of thirsty animals.

I believe the OP wanted to know about personal usage; so I suggest go Fedora;
get started fast and get to grips, and provide support for a very large base.

If you are a purist, try slackware.

I believe the OP wanted to know about personal usage; so I suggest go Fedora;
get started fast and get to grips, and provide support for a very large base.

I personally use Fedora but wouldn't recommend it to a new beginner.

Fedora is designed to be cutting edge and is therefore a testing ground for all the latest versions of software. This can be very disruptive and a source of frustration for new users. Examples of software which when launched on Fedora was a major pain in recent times are pulse audio, systemd, gnome 3. There are tons of updates which come in every day and the software is only supported(in terms of updates) for 2 years.

Fedora however is excellent for open source developers who need to work on the cutting edge and for people who need the latest version of everything.

I personally use Fedora but wouldn't recommend it to a new beginner.

Fedora is designed to be cutting edge and is therefore a testing ground for all the latest versions of software. This can be very disruptive and a source of frustration for new users. Examples of software which when launched on Fedora was a major pain in recent times are pulse audio, systemd, gnome 3. There are tons of updates which come in every day and the software is only supported(in terms of updates) for 2 years.

Fedora however is excellent for open source developers who need to work on the cutting edge and for people who need the latest version of everything.

Who said you HAVE to download the latest version ?

spend a little time researching and you will find out which is the better stable build.
It is usually 3-4 releases behind.

Mountain Lion FTW . I use Mac as primary Os and run a cluster of Windows( Xp to 8) and linux( most popular versions ) Virtual machines for Reverse engineering , analyzing malware behaviors , fuzzing , exploit development and such and i am happy with the current Combinations . Once you go mac you never come back :rofl:

osx_mountain_lion___.jpg

Who said you HAVE to download the latest version ?

spend a little time researching and you will find out which is the better stable build.
It is usually 3-4 releases behind.

Fedora launches every 6 months and each version is EOLed in 2 years. So running a distro 4 revision behind means working without the latest security/bug fixes.

I usually start out with the latest version about 3 months after release, keep it for a year before upgrading to the latest one 2-3 months after release.

Windows 8 is awesome. I am using it on my Laptop and it works perfect. Perhaps I do have a pirated version.
But you don't to browse more for system drivers, it would search and install by itself. A more speedy and powerful, have a built-in Antivirus and skype. But IE still s*cks. So, I have a Chrome. I have also installed MS Office 2013 and that is marvelous. So many and tools and many other things.
All is that, it works like a charm. ;)

Just today I installed ubuntu 12.10 in my system. This was not on a VM but as host OS. Damn this really ruined 1 hour of my time. There was some issue with the display driver and the system did not boot itself since I am little knowlegable in the linux I was able to change the grub boot parameters and was able to load into the OS and was able to install the latest nvidia drivers that also after updating the kernel headers. But any non techie person would have surely despised this experience. When it comes to easy use Windows FTW!. But if you would like to get down and dirty and have fun ofcourse linux is the way to go.

About MAC I have never used it hence won't be able to coment on it.

I run windows 8 but start menu was so disappointing that I installed Startisback just the second day . some other thing I had problem with is that you can't disable it asking you Administrative permission when you want to modify some system directory even if you are administrator

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom