What's new

Opening of New Islamabad International Airport .. NIIA

New Islamabad International Airport becomes operational

312179_1277979_updates.jpg

Two days after its inauguration, the new Islamabad International Airport has become operational today (Thursday).

The Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) in its schedule posted on Twitter shared details of the PIA flights that would be operated from the new airport.

✔@Official_PIA

Dear passengers, following is the PIA flight schedule for BBIAP and IIAP on May 3, 2018. #PIA

According to the schedule, some flights are still being operated from the Benazir International Airport.

Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi on May 1 had inaugurated the new airport.

312179_4357146_updates.jpg

The airport is one of Asia's major aviation hubs and a destinations. Islamabad International Airport is designed by French company Aéroports de Paris Ingenierie and CPG Corporation of Singapore.

It is built on 4,238 acres of land and consists of 4-level passenger terminal building, 2 runways, taxiways, apron, parking bays for wide-body aircraft.

First day - Full Flight Operation at New Islamabad International Airport

Emirates’ passenger traffic may rise in Pakistan with A380 flights

"As Emirates starts flying the world’s largest passenger airplane Airbus A380 to the new Islamabad International Airport from July, it is believed that it will grab a larger slice of international air traffic flow to and from Pakistan.

However, the development will not affect the market share of Pakistani carriers, says a former official of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

A380, a double-deck four-engine jet airliner, has the capacity to accommodate 550 passengers. Earlier, it was not possible to welcome the aircraft as no other airport in Pakistan was equipped to handle the airplane."

Congrats to Pakistan what a beautiful airport after await for few years finally completed

These first pictures are not very promising to be honest. The airport already look over crowded not sure how many people it will ACTUALLY be able to handle when all flight operations start in full swing. Have anyone been there? Traveled from the new airport? Please share;
  1. Seating arrangement. Are there MORE than enough chairs and how comfortable are these?
  2. Food: How were the food stalls/tuck shops?
  3. Duty Free Area?
These first two points will really shape up the traveling experience from the airport. Esp seating capacity and comfort rating.

These first pictures are not very promising to be honest. The airport already look over crowded not sure how many people it will ACTUALLY be able to handle when all flight operations start in full swing. Have anyone been there? Traveled from the new airport? Please share;
  1. Seating arrangement. Are there MORE than enough chairs and how comfortable are these?
  2. Food: How were the food stalls/tuck shops?
  3. Duty Free Area?
These first two points will really shape up the traveling experience from the airport. Esp seating capacity and comfort rating.

1. There aren't enough chairs. On a crowded day, you'll find a lot of people will be standing, or just roaming around because there's no place to sit. There's plenty of space, it's a huge terminal, just not enough seats.

2. Mediocre at best. Slow service and the variety of restaurants is... disappointing. Even the old airport had more places to eat than this.

3. I like how they were bragging about how it would have a good duty free, but nothing is open yet. Except for one shop called 'RELAY', which sells everything at a ridiculous price, there's not much else. I went there to get a packet of chewing gum, and the 'Extra' mint gum pack was for 175 rs.

Here are some videos I filmed of the takeoff and landing at new ISB airport:

Takeoff:

Landing:

1. There aren't enough chairs. On a crowded day, you'll find a lot of people will be standing, or just roaming around because there's no place to sit. There's plenty of space, it's a huge terminal, just not enough seats.

2. Mediocre at best. Slow service and the variety of restaurants is... disappointing. Even the old airport had more places to eat than this.

3. I like how they were bragging about how it would have a good duty free, but nothing is open yet. Except for one shop called 'RELAY', which sells everything at a ridiculous price, there's not much else. I went there to get a packet of chewing gum, and the 'Extra' mint gum pack was for 175 rs.

Here are some videos I filmed of the takeoff and landing at new ISB airport:

Takeoff:

Landing:
Helpful. Thank you.

Will appreciate if others can also share their experience.

This i have serious doubts about. The old one had a single cafe to eat in and 4 5 shops (not food stands). That is it.

Helpful. Thank you.

Will appreciate if others can also share their experience.

This i have serious doubts about. The old one had a single cafe to eat in and 4 5 shops (not food stands). That is it.
The old one had Dunkin Donuts, Mr. Cod and Pizza Hut, and I believe one more as well, but can't remember the name. This one has Coffee Planet, and Bread & Co, along with the overpriced shop I mentioned called Relay, there's nothing else.

The old one had Dunkin Donuts, Mr. Cod and Pizza Hut, and I believe one more as well, but can't remember the name. This one has Coffee Planet, and Bread & Co, along with the overpriced shop I mentioned called Relay, there's nothing else.
Pizza Hut? Dunkin Donuts? At old Islamabad Airport? Must have been developed in last 3 4 years then (since i started traveling from Lahore) as back in 2014 all they had was a single food stall and others stands were for other goods (but carried snacks). Lahore got a Dunkin Donut 1/2 years back. I guess around same time ISB got one too.

where is the greenry ? first pic is depicting an airport in middle of a desert

as far as eatery locations and duty free shops are concerned, they will be there in few months time

where is the greenry ? first pic is depicting an airport in middle of a desert

as far as eatery locations and duty free shops are concerned, they will be there in few months time
Watch the videos I posted. Plenty of greenery can be seen when landing and taking off.

Pizza Hut? Dunkin Donuts? At old Islamabad Airport? Must have been developed in last 3 4 years then (since i started traveling from Lahore) as back in 2014 all they had was a single food stall and others stands were for other goods (but carried snacks). Lahore got a Dunkin Donut 1/2 years back. I guess around same time ISB got one too.

Old ISB had all those restaurants I mentioned since mid-early 2015, which explains why you didn't see them. When I was travelling in July 2015, Mr. Cod and Dunkin Donuts were there, but Pizza Hut was short on staff so not opened yet. August 2016 and 2017, all restaurants were open and functioning.
New airport is embarrassing compared to the old one. Even the staff at Bread & Co at new ISB are short, and they can't keep up when ALL of the passengers travelling have only one restaurant to go to and the 4 employees there can't keep up.
I ordered a sandwich and it took them 15 minutes to prepare it, for two reasons. One was that they had about 60 people at the restaurant buying food, and the pathetic excuse of a CIP lounge that they made only has the capacity of about 30 people in it. So if they have two international flights departing at the same time, there is no place for most business class passengers to sit because the lounge is full, so everyone has to resort to buying food from the ONE available restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom