What's new

Only 25 pc in India claim Hindi is their mother tongue

My mother tongue is tulu .. But i have no option but to study in kannada or english ..
Agar hame koi aapatti ya mushkil nahi hey hindi seek ne me tho tamilians ko thoda thande dhimag me sochna chahiye ..i wonder how they allow their children to learn english but not hindi

no body is forcing any language on any one but trying to bond the whole india with hindi.... tamil is a rich language and all Tamils must feel proud of it ...but whenever u will walk out of Tamil nadu u will have to speak in hindi....

If you actually "walk" out of Tamil Nadu, you are likely to still be in areas where Hindi is not the main language. And if you are flying, I doubt most from Tamil Nadu would pick Hindi speaking areas as their destination. Those who actually might have to learn Hindi for their livelihood, mainly from the lower classes, probably won't have much chance of learning it at school since they are likely to be poorly educated.

Whether it will prove useful or not is a question for time to answer, (Japanese, German or Chinese may prove more useful, who is to know?) It is simply that whether imposition is acceptable or not should & can be decided only by non-Hindi speakers, the opinions of Hindi speakers on such matters is pointless just as the opinion of Tamil speakers would be if the question was about imposition of Tamil in the rest of the country

So what's wrong?

Hindi is simply an easy way to connect with Indians from all across India.

What's wrong is this; it was happening anyways without any government interference. Movies & TV have made Hindi penetration & its understanding possible, something that no diktat could ever have. Now, we risk going back in time where resistance to hindi will be greater when it was almost non-existent. It is a case of being very poorly served by those who went crazy on language just now.

Last edited:
This second phase of anti-Hindi agitation is going to face the same fate like the Dravidian movement, which failed to garner any mass support outside Tamilnadu. Not even the people whose mother tongue is not Hindi are averse to using Hindi when they jump the regional boundaries.

No other Indian language is more worthy of becoming the link language than Hindi. Hindi is not an alien language and it is understood by people across the country including Tamilnadu. The best part is that you don't need to learn Hindi, it comes naturally to you.

I have seen poor tamilians in bangalore struggling to find address ..they know only tamil ..no hindi no english ..how much you try to help the poor soul you will be back to square one ..the elites who are advocating no hindi will easily sail through because of english but labour class has to face all problems

I have seen poor tamilians in bangalore struggling to find address ..they know only tamil ..no hindi no english ..how much you try to help the poor soul you will be back to square one ..the elites who are advocating no hindi will easily sail through because of english but labour class has to face all problems

That sort of people won't be doing any learning of Hindi, will they? Won't help them much.

Data not released for 2011

I am sure the percentage will go down

Wrong percentage may actually go up.Population explosion happen in Hindi belt since 2001.While other
states especially South Indian states actually experiencing stable population or contracting population.

I have been to West bengal, Orissa, Andhra, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharshtra, Tamilnadu etc. and I always received help when I asked for help and directions from the local people in Hindi. I do use my mother-tongue when I converse with my family or with the people from my region. Today Hindi has a much deeper penetration than English. English is to us today what Persian and Sanskrit were to us in past, languages of Elites and they will fight a bitter battle for their survival.

That sort of people won't be doing any learning of Hindi, will they? Won't help them much.

I don't think most of the non-Hindi speakers learned Hindi like we learn English in schools. Hindi is a language which comes naturally to us because it belongs to us. What we need to ensure is that all Indians must learn at least two Indian official languages.

@bangalore
compare labour class of karnataka though most of them are illiterates they can easily talk one or two sentences in hindi and thats enough in tricky situation ..

yes I read it for 25% population they imposing on 75% of population

thats why you left?

Who told you rest of 75% oppose them ,may you, probably a Tamil may oppose But we dont oppose that.My mother tongue is malayalam .But I dont have any problem with Hindi.
I am an Indian .Those who claim for English is still under psychologicallly colonised by whitemen language pathetic.They loot us ,not a lesson learnt and still aome Indians eager to bow in the front of white a****.To bad

it was stupid to raise such issue ,with generation change, internal migration, tourism ppl are bound to learn new languages with internet acting as a catalyst, wrt hindi cinema has done far more promotion of it than numerous commissions or social media interaction of few ministers will ever do.

raising the old issue make non hindi speakers insecure which further reduce the hindi impact if someone is looking for it .

imposition of hindi or at least first amongst equals is because of this राजभाषा

Who told you rest of 75% oppose them ,may you, probably a Tamil may oppose But we dont oppose that.My mother tongue is malayalam .But I dont have any problem with Hindi.
I am an Indian .Those who claim for English is still under psychologicallly colonised by whitemen language pathetic.They loot us ,not a lesson learnt and still aome Indians eager to bow in the front of white a****.To bad

For being Indian need not know Hindi

we not asking for English either

we asking that dont impose Hindi on us & start using Regional languages also in center

No other Indian language is more worthy of becoming the link language than Hindi.

Probably true but doesn't mean much if people are going to resent imposition.

Hindi is not an alien language and it is understood by people across the country including Tamilnadu. The best part is that you don't need to learn Hindi, it comes naturally to you.

If that is true (and i happen to believe the last few years have expanded Hindi's reach enormously), why bother with silly diktats that are only going to be counter productive. Anti--Hindi feeling had almost died, now the very guys who want to promote Hindi are resurrecting it. Eventually they will have to buckle, there are too many states who even if they are not opposed to Hindi, will fight its imposition (& it is not only TN) which in any case cannot happen (the most that will happen is that the Union government will eventually have more people from Hindi speaking areas alone, hardly a good thing) but no one, anywhere in the south will pick Hindi instead of English, they may understand Hindi but given a choice they will pick only English. Heck they pick English over the local languages that they know, let alone Hindi which they have to learn. That position is now ratified by a supreme court order on the rights of parents to choose medium of instruction. Not even the central government can do anything about that.

As i said before, absolutely pointless.

Hindi is at 41%
Urdu at 5%
Punjabi at 3%

All 3 are pretty much the same language. That is 49% right there.

No mate all these three languages are completely different. I have worked in Punjab...although I can understand Punjabi spoken by people in cities which uses many Hindi words....but Punjabi spoken by villagers...in other words..."dhet" Punjabi has nothing in common with Hindi..and so is Urdu. It would be like comparing Tamil, Kannad and Malayalam...

Last edited:
Central gov has to promote all languages not one language it will stir more harm than good
There is a reason why all others in India see all tamils as Vaiko .
Every languge has its own goodness even for English.Hindi is still remain as
Indian language and English will always remain as whites language

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom