What's new

Oman joins Saudi-led Islamic military alliance-Saudi source

Oman has joined a Saudi-led coalition of Muslim countries to fight terrorism, a Saudi official source said on Wednesday, adding this showed Muscat, traditionally on friendly terms with Tehran, was returning to a Gulf Arab "consensus against Iran".

The sultanate indicated its willingness to take part in the 40-country alliance, a coalition unveiled by Riyadh in December 2015, in a letter to Saudi Deputy Crown Prince and Defence Minister Mohammed bin Salman, the source said.

"Oman has always in the past taken positions and policies that are contrary to the Gulf positions regarding the region. This now shows the return of Oman to the Gulf consensus against Iran and its political positions," the source said.

Interesting news.

This alliance is a joke. Pakistan's parliament and Egypt's Sisi have shown you their middle finger when you asked them to take action in Yemen. Salman aka "the superman shikh" received another middle finger from Turkey last week when Erdoghan betrayed him and agreed to work with Russia and Iran for a ceasefire in Syria and to target your scums in Idlib.

These countries will never send their soldiers to the front line to die for the fat prince.

This alliance need foot soldiers .I don't think Oman is in a position to meet this requirement

" The Islamic Military Alliance to Fight Terrorism (IMAFT) (Arabic: التحالف الإسلامي العسكري لمحاربة الإرهاب‎‎), alternative translation Islamic Military Counter Terrorism Coalition, is an intergovernmental military alliance of countries in the Muslim world united around military intervention against ISIL and other counter-terrorist activities. When the coaltion was announced there were 34 members; by March 2016 this had risen to 39."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Military_Alliance

Make it 40 now with Oman

Where does it say against Iran, Hezbollah or Houthis? It clearly says against ISIL..
He is afraid to admit after todays Erdogan speech ..Seems Erdo is going all out war against EU and US.

Erdogan says he has evidence US-led coalition has given support to Isis
The Turkish leader made the claim while talking to reporters in Ankara
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...us-coalition-support-terrorists-a7497841.html

He is afraid to admit after todays Erdogan speech ..Seems Erdo is going all out war against EU and US.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...us-coalition-support-terrorists-a7497841.html
There are so many opposition factions in Syria, it is true chaos..The US-led coalition was supporting the opposition including ISIS (covertly), anyone against the Syrian regime was supported, no doubt about it..

Well, never believe everything Erdogan says.

C0tFhXiXcAIOKD9.jpg

where was the alliance when aleppo fell?

KSA is irrelevant and wasnt even invited to the iran, turkey and russian talks on syria

Oman, while otherwise preferring a neutral and non-partisan geopolitical position under Sultan Qaboos, will always by default be in the "GCC camp" solely by virtue of geography alone. That is reason enough to support "pan-GCC" efforts that aim at securing the GCC from any outside threats and thus by default Oman as well.

Oman's military is also well integrated into the Peninsula Shield Force.

Let alone the fact that Oman is a fellow Arabian country and a monarchy.

In short Oman's future is tied to that of the GCC and Arabia as a whole. Same goes for Yemen.

In any case I suspect that once Sultan Qaboos dies (he is old, reported to be sick and moreover he has ruled for almost 50 years), Al-Alawi dies/leaves, we will see a somewhat different policy from Oman. Much more aligned to the GCC and playing a greater/more active role.

When Saddam invaded Kuwait back in August 1990, Oman was one of the first countries to side with Kuwait and they were one of the harshest critics of this invasion.

Anyway Oman is one of the most beautiful countries on the planet. Oman is a great part of Arabia. Also Omanis are great people.

In many ways I consider Oman the Switzerland of the Arab world and Middle East. Not as rich but well off nevertheless.

Also this news is confirmed and was so by Oman's government itself.

http://www.omannews.gov.om/ona_n/description.jsp?newsId=302286

@alarabi

It's a statement. I dont expect Oman to weaken its ties with Iran.

What stops Oman from being a valuable member of the GCC and being on friendly terms with Iran? Also this news is not about Iran but Oman joining the Islamic military alliance whose work we will have to evaluate at a certain point in time. Right now this Islamic military alliance has not done anything.

Also Oman is the Switzerland of the Middle East. It is a remarkable country. A great country with very friendly people. When I visited Oman I also saw Iranian tourists.

What stops Oman from being a valuable member of the GCC and being on friendly terms with Iran? Also this news is not about Iran but Oman joining the Islamic military alliance whose work we will have to evaluate at a certain point in time. Right now this Islamic military alliance has not done anything.

Also Oman is the Switzerland of the Middle East. It is a remarkable country. A great country with very friendly people. When I visited Oman I also saw Iranian tourists.
I agree. I was refering to this:

Oman has joined a Saudi-led coalition of Muslim countries to fight terrorism, a Saudi official source said on Wednesday, adding this showed Muscat, traditionally on friendly terms with Tehran, was returning to a Gulf Arab "consensus against Iran

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/oman-joi...y-alliance-saudi-source.469451/#ixzz4UY3fWesa

If this bloc of 41+ countries becomes active and plays an important role in the global scene, then there should be a permanent member from these countries in the UN to represent and protect our interests.
It bugs me off when I see UK or France is still a permanent member when the realpolitik of the whole world is way different now than it was in the 50s.

There must be a real reform in the UN that considers the change of geopolitics in the world, or else all ignored groups will take actions outside that outdated council.

1280px-%D8%AE%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%B7%D8%A9_%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AA%D8%AD%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%81_%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A5%D8%B3%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%85%D9%8A_%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%B3%D9%83%D8%B1%D9%8A.png

thanks for telling good words about oman.oman is true heaven

thanks for telling good words about oman.oman is true heaven

Sure it is. I am going to visit Oman early next month. Looking very much forward to it.

I agree. I was refering to this:

Oman has joined a Saudi-led coalition of Muslim countries to fight terrorism, a Saudi official source said on Wednesday, adding this showed Muscat, traditionally on friendly terms with Tehran, was returning to a Gulf Arab "consensus against Iran

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/oman-joi...y-alliance-saudi-source.469451/#ixzz4UY3fWesa

Which is not exactly wrong as Oman having joined the Islamic Military Alliance, which is headed by KSA, is a clear and obvious sign of Oman not accepting hostile actions from state and non-state actors, aimed at the security of the Muslim world and by default KSA and the GCC which are part and parcel of the Islamic Military Alliance.

This however, once again, does not mean that Oman cannot have cordial ties with Iran but you could easily argue that a line was drawn in the sand. Iranian (read Mullah regime) hostility against KSA and the GCC does not benefit Oman at all and is a threat to Oman as well at the end of the day.

Anyway it would be much better if the GCC/Arab world and Iran could work together as neighbors for the common good of the region and both parties. That should be the priority.

I have personally nothing against Iran joining the Islamic Military Alliance once/if it shows it worth as an organization but this requires a change in the Mullah's foreign policy. Which is as likely as Afghanistan becoming a liberal beach paradise.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom