What's new

Oman joins Saudi-led Islamic military alliance-Saudi source

I don't think that anyone here cares whether you "like" KSA or not or anything for that matter.

Before commenting I would suggest you to read what this organization is really about and the laws that govern it before making such ridiculous comments. Obviously this Islamic Military Alliance (which is still at its infancy for obvious reasons - cannot understand how this can be a surprise) cannot operate in non-member states such as Syria and Iraq without their "governments" permission. Not to say that those states only exist on paper nowadays.

Pakistan? Well, the Pakistani government has not wanted such help. Same with Nigeria.

However who says that such help should be/is limited to boots on the ground? May I dare to claim that those states already cooperate closely in regards to counterterrorism. Yeah, I think so. Surprise, surprise.

Anyway the only reason Iranians here are bitching and crying a bit is due to you guys being excluded but historically you should be used to such a feeling so not sure what this fuss is about to be honest. I mean your entire current "ideology/viewpoint" is that you are the victim in a sea of enemies and that everyone is out to get you. That is why, during the Shah, that your best friend in the neighborhood was Israel. Another outsider who shared/share such similar views but on other issues and in a different way.

Anyway if we ever want boots on the ground we can always ask the Iranian Mullah's to "donate" a few Afghan/Pakistani/Hazara/unfortunately also some Iraqi Shia Arabs/Lebanese slaves (they can only be used once or twice as they usually return in coffins) and if the "production factory" is low we can always ask those guys below:

The reason I prefaced my post by saying, even though i don't like KSA, was to show that even my bias against your government does not stop me from wishing the coalition to succeed against actual terrorist groups.

That is, if there are actual efforts against battling real terrorists (such as ISIS), I wish you guys the very best of luck, even if I don't like your gov. As an example, I don't like USA's foreign policy but any action they take against ISIS makes me pleased.

I think sometimes people allow their emotions against a country cloud the way they view an incident. That is, sometimes if a person is anti-iran and (as an example) they are fighting ISIS, they would prefer ISIS to win. I'm not like that. If KSA fights ISIS, I would hope they defeat ISIS, even if I don't like KSA. That's why I said it. I tried to say that battling terrorism should transcend any subjective feelings towards a country.

The reason I prefaced my post by saying, even though i don't like KSA, was to show that even my bias against your government does not stop me from wishing the coalition to succeed against actual terrorist groups.

That is, if there are actual efforts against battling real terrorists (such as ISIS), I wish you guys the very best of luck, even if I don't like your gov. As an example, I don't like USA's foreign policy but any action they take against ISIS makes me pleased.

I think sometimes people allow their emotions against a country cloud the way they view an incident. That is, sometimes if a person is anti-iran and (as an example) they are fighting ISIS, they would prefer ISIS to win. I'm not like that. If KSA fights ISIS, I would hope they defeat ISIS, even if I don't like KSA. That's why I said it. I tried to say that battling terrorism should transcend any subjective feelings towards a country.

The problem with the Middle East and the Muslim world is that many governments/regimes/call it what you want and its various supporters (people) cannot even agree on which armed groups are terrorist groups and which are not. Or what governments in power or political parties are haram or halal. Expect for the obvious choices/examples.

Look I don't know whether this organization will be a success or not but I know that it is far too soon to make a conclusion.

What I don't understand are the reactions of some of the Iranian users here and elsewhere. Could be due to what I mentioned or simply due to the fact that many non-favorable states (currently) are part of it.

As far as I know this Islamic Military Alliance is not an alliance against Iran. The Mullah's in power might see it in such a way but if KSA/Iran reached an agreement, I am quite sure, that Iran would wish to join this organization, if it proved successful.

But yeah it would be ideal if regional countries worked seriously and honestly on common goals such as fighting terror and instability.

Or better worked to improve economic relations, combat corruption and work together in fields of education, science, military etc.

I am all for regional cooperation because if not this region will continue to be dominated by outside forces. This is why I am a supporter of the GCC model/organization and want to see regional and political organizations such as the Arab League emerge into something like the EU. Or a free trade zone or whatever. It does not need to have anything to do with religion, sect, ethnicity etc. as long as it works and helps the region and people as a whole more than it hurts it.

On paper KSA and Iran should have much more in common and could actually be quite good allies but ALAS. History/politics is a strange thing at times.

Last edited:
The problem with the Middle East and the Muslim world is that many governments/regimes/call it what you want and its various supporters (people) cannot even agree on which armed groups are terrorist groups and which are not. Or what governments in power or political parties are haram or halal. Expect for the obvious choices/examples.

Look I don't know whether this organization will be a success or not but I know that it is far too soon to make a conclusion.

What I don't understand are the reactions of some of the Iranian users here and elsewhere. Could be due to what I mentioned or simply due to the fact that many non-favorable states (currently) are part of it.

As far as I know this Islamic Military Alliance is not an alliance against Iran. The Mullah's in power might see it in such a way but if KSA/Iran reached an agreement, I am quite sure, that Iran would wish to join this organization, if it proved successful.

But yeah it would be ideal if regional countries worked seriously and honestly on common goals such as fighting terror and instability.

Or better worked to improve economic relations, combat corruption and work together in fields of education, science, military etc.

I am all for regional cooperation because if not this region will continue to be dominated by outside forces. This is why I am a supporter of the GCC model/organization and want to see regional and political organizations such as the Arab League emerge into something like the EU.

I understand there can be difference of opinions regarding what constitutes a terrorist group but at least for certain groups, such as ISIS, there is no disagreement from any country. And most attacks in 2016 happened due to ISIS. So if only the group is eradicated (by anyone, Syria, KSA, USA, Russia, Israel, martians, I don't care) , a major problem that is plaguing the world but specially Islamic countries, there would be a huge need for celebration.

I understand there can be difference of opinions regarding what constitutes a terrorist group but at least for certain groups, such as ISIS, there is no disagreement from any country. And most attacks in 2016 happened due to ISIS. So if only the group is eradicated (by anyone, Syria, KSA, USA, Russia, Israel, martians, I don't care) , a major problem that is plaguing the world but specially Islamic countries, there would be a huge need for celebration.

I agree but what should also be looked at is why such groups emerge in the first place and what keeps them alive and how they can be combated. Because obviously there is a problem and its not a problem that can be easily explained by one single factor or even a few.

For instance I have always been of the opinion that tyrants like Al-Assad (I admit that he and his regime were not fundamentally different pre-2011 than the average ruler in the region, unfortunately), like many others, is the main reason for their rise and continued presence. Al-Assad acts like the biggest recruiter.

So when for instance Russia and Iran want to keep Al-Assad in power at all costs, such moves, do not solve the problem IMO. Only make it worse. Because how can a person and a regime who have killed so many of their own people, have any legitimacy left?

We can talk about conspiracies, Western interference, regional interference or what not, but how Al-Assad dealt with the civil war, has no excuse IMO. He could have followed the example of Mubarak, Ben Ali or even the corrupt crook Ali Abdullah Saleh.

This all leads me to the political differences and fights that are present in the region which make such policies difficult to pursue.

Some kind of common ground should be found that most/all states/regional actors can agree on and from that point on some kind of consensus should be brokered on other areas. This could start some kind of process of reconciliation that could and likely would lead to better relations and thus a better, safer and more prosperous region as a whole.

It all starts and ends with economic cooperation. When have states that are very closely tied economically been in conflict or seriously at odds? There is too much to lose for everyone.

The failure of the Arab world and its leaders in recent decades has exactly been due to this. Lack of any serious economic cooperation of any kind. Expect for the GCC. It is harder for me as an Arab to do business in an Arab country (excluding the GCC) than in the West or many Asian countries. How is that possible?

Let alone business relations with regional countries. How do Saudi Arabians and Iranians interact for instance other than online or occasionally in person in each country or in the West (mostly students)? What is done to increase economic, military, diplomatic, political, scientific, educational, health care etc. cooperation? I could ask the same question in regards to Tunisia for instance from KSA's perspective.

So obviously there are some fundamental problems in the region that transcend most of the current troubles.

I agree but what should also be looked at is why such groups emerge in the first place and what keeps them alive and how they can be combated. Because obviously there is a problem and its not a problem that can be easily explained by one single factor or even a few.

For instance I have always been of the opinion that tyrants like Al-Assad (I admit that he and his regime were not fundamentally different pre-2011 than the average ruler in the region, unfortunately), like many others, is the main reason for their rise and continued presence. Al-Assad acts like the biggest recruiter.

So when for instance Russia and Iran want to keep Al-Assad in power at all costs, such moves, do not solve the problem IMO. Only make it worse. Because how can a person and a regime who have killed so many of their own people, have any legitimacy left?

We can talk about conspiracies, Western interference, regional interference or what not, but how Al-Assad dealt with the civil war, has no excuse IMO. He could have followed the example of Mubarak, Ben Ali or even the corrupt crook Ali Abdullah Saleh.

This all leads me to the political differences and fights that are present in the region which make such policies difficult to pursue.

Some kind of common ground should be found that most/all states/regional actors can agree on and from that point on some kind of consensus should be brokered on other areas. This could start some kind of process of reconciliation that could and likely would lead to better relations and thus a better, safer and more prosperous region as a whole.

It all starts and ends with economic cooperation. When have states that are very closely tied economically been in conflict or seriously at odds? There is too much to lose for everyone.

The failure of the Arab world and its leaders in recent decades has exactly been due to this. Lack of any serious economic cooperation of any kind. Expect for the GCC. It is harder for me as an Arab to do business in an Arab country (excluding the GCC) than in the West or many Asian countries. How is that possible?

Let alone business relations with regional countries. How do Saudi Arabians and Iranians interact for instance other than online or occasionally in person in each country or in the West (mostly students)? What is done to increase economic, military, diplomatic, political, scientific, educational, health care etc. cooperation? I could ask the same question in regards to Tunisia for instance from KSA's perspective.

So obviously there are some fundamental problems in the region that transcend most of the current troubles.

I can see where you are coming from regarding Assad, and I don't want to further detail the topic but I will respectfully disagree. Maybe we can revisit the topic at a future date.

Back
Top Bottom