What's new

Olympics 2008 Results & Discussions

Army plays sports for fun not in a competitive instance of International sports. Pakistan Army has always beaten whatever competitors they face usually.

Seems like army is the final answer to Pakistan's every problem.

The problem is that nobody cares about olympic medals. Not the government, not the public.

Its simply not a national priority.

I don't quite agree.

The public wants the country to do well at the Olympics. The government won't mind either only they can't (or won't) do much about that.

The main reason I believe is the way the sports federations are run in India. The nepotism and mismanagement will break the best of men is a few days.

With the private sector beginning to enter in a big way (the Mittal foundation being one example, Tatas another), the scene could change soon.

The Chinese were not world beaters till a decade back or so. Same can happen to India, God willing.

I don't quite agree.

The public wants the country to do well at the Olympics. The government won't mind either only they can't (or won't) do much about that.

The only "public" who care are the affluent jet-setters who can afford to complain about olympic medals.
The rest of us are quite content in complaining about the garbage heap in front of our doors.

The main reason I believe is the way the sports federations are run in India. The nepotism and mismanagement will break the best of men is a few days.

Yeah, that's what happens unless something is made a national priority. Or unless the government begins to hang people by the dozen ala China.

The Chinese were not world beaters till a decade back or so. Same can happen to India, God willing.

Sorry, India simply cannot copy China in this. China has built itself a giant olympic factory which is seamless from top to bottom. It picks up talent at the age of 4-5 years and trains them in special camps away from the family. The athletes are essentially state property till they reach the peak of their career.

India will have to go the USA way....where public interest in sport is enough to produce a large volume of athletes.

The only "public" who care are the affluent jet-setters who can afford to complain about olympic medals.
The rest of us are quite content in complaining about the garbage heap in front of our doors.

Again, I disagree. This has nothing to do with jet-setters. I would say that most Indians (except may be the BPL and uneducated folks who won't even know) do care about this.

They feel bad when India doesn't do well at Olympics. They would like the country to do better and will be happy if that happens. Such people could be in 100s of millions, hardly the jet setters.

Yeah, that's what happens unless something is made a national priority. Or unless the government begins to hang people by the dozen ala China.

India is bad at so many things. Law and order is one, education is another, economic reforms are teetering, terrorism is taking the toll. You get the drift.

The government being inept at something doesn't mean it is not a priority.

Sorry, India simply cannot copy China in this. China has built itself a giant olympic factory which is seamless from top to bottom. It picks up talent at the age of 4-5 years and trains them in special camps away from the family. The athletes are essentially state property till they reach the peak of their career.

India will have to go the USA way....where public interest in sport is enough to produce a large volume of athletes.

I agree that India needs to have a different model to China. It has to be driven by private sector and by committed individuals. I am sure it can happen and will happen in a short period.

Bindra wins first ever Olympic gold
11 Aug 2008, 0949 hrs IST,AGENCIES

NEW DELHI: Ace shooter Abhinav Bindra claimed the first ever individual gold for India to win the men's 10m air rifle event at the Beijing Olympics.

China's Zhu Qinan won the silver and Finland's Henri Hakkinen the bronze.

Earlier, Bindra ended the poor run of Indian shooters by qualifying for event finals. Bindra finished the qualifying event joint fourth with Romania's George Alin Moldoveanu after the duo shot a score of 596/600. He scored a series of 100,99,100,98,100 and 99 in the qualifiers.

However, India's other medal hope Gagan Narang failed to make the final cut in the same event finishing ninth with a score of 595/600. Narang shot a series of 97, 100, 100, 100, 98 and 100.

Congrats. The dude shot almost a perfect one to claim the victory.. while the guy (finland?) who was with him fell for the third position. And the Chinese went on to grab the silver from the bronze.

Pakistan lost the hockey game with 2-4 against Great Britain. If they had stopped 3 quick goals in the beginning it could have been a very even game. Nonetheless, very good game.

Made my day.

Just the first. Not the last in this Olympics I am sure.

Kylin, Congrates to China on doing so well in this Olympics. What is your plan? To top the medals table? ;)

I can't believe the Olympic medals table. India is ahead of Germany!

Even if it is for a few hours, I have saved the screenshot. :cheers:

I can't believe the Olympic medals table. India is ahead of Germany!

Even if it is for a few hours, I have saved the screenshot. :cheers:

:rofl: Yeah! Enjoy the moment lads! We'll be back at the bottom in a couple of days!

Back
Top Bottom