What's new

Old Lahore -- anarkali bazaar

Cycle Rikshaw, Lahore in 60s

This photograph, taken in Lahore probably in the 1960s, brings to light many Pakistani realities; some of which have changed, and some not.

Showing an elderly woman hauling a cycle rickshaw, boarded by a family of four, the photograph can be seen as the inhuman plight of an old women left to fend for herself. At the same time, it can speak for struggle of working women who can take to occupations generally associated with masculine strength, when the need arises, rather than being confined to domestic spaces to suffer in misery or beg on the streets.

The photograph also presents a forgotten image of Pakistani society, when it was not altogether uncommon for even working class women to ride or drive on the road. Contrary to the present, when its almost a taboo for women to ride a bicycle or motorcycle, a working class vehicle, forcing them to ride behind their men, this photograph clearly refutes the impression that our society in the past was less susceptible to gender equality. It makes one wonder how we came to lock ourselves in patriarchal prison, pushing half of our population off the public sphere. (Nadeem Omar)

10269158_878435672236887_8821143426118857009_o.jpg

this is great share shows the hard life of past time along with some enjoyable moments too

Regal Chowk - The Mall Lahore in 60s

11206008_846719908741797_4393819276521596883_n.jpg

First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy & President Ayub Khan are driven through the streets of Lahore, 21 March 1962

11103023_840704029343385_4072453492727757154_n.jpg

Any idea where is this sonali mosque?
sonali-musjid.jpg

Close to the now non existent shahalmi darwaza which was destroyed in the 47 riots. My dadighar haveli is like 5 min walk from there. Have offered many eid namaze there.

My dad tells me back when he was a teenager the backside of the masjid had a bagh where they used to play cricket. Now its amusing to think a bagj even existed there once cuz the place is so tightly packed.

Great thread @ghazi52 . I'll make some contributions soon. Lahore is packed with historical sites. Just this week I was walking around in the mochi darwaza area which is full of imambarghas and havelis. A notable one there is nisar haveli where shah shuja of Afghanistan took refuge when fleeing the war in his own country. Masjid saleh kamboh is also in that area.

Back
Top Bottom