What's new

Old Lahore -- anarkali bazaar

oh wow great share bro, you rock with your valuable threads depicting all type of interesting pictures

.Badshahi Mosque, Lahore in 50s
11754240_886010351479419_3715229532040874590_n.jpg

I had the privilege of offering my Friday prayers at the Badshahi Masjid and visiting the Lahore Fort when I visited Lahore during my summer vacations.Don't have the words to describe my feelings for these historical monuments.

.Street Scene c.1910-1920s

11709765_885298348217286_7031507452943189626_n.jpg

..................................................................................................................
11180639_857591530987968_8692896547512426362_n.jpg

Gates of Lahore. Walled City of Lahore had 13 gates (Akbari Gate, Bhati Gate, Delhi Gate, Kashmiri Gate, Lohari Gate, Masti Gate, Mochi Gate, Mori Gate, Roshnai Gate, Shahalmi Gate, Shairanwala Gate, Taxali Gate, and Yakki Gate). Today, out of 13, only Bhati Gate, Delhi Gate, Kashmiri Gate, Lohari Gate, Roshnai Gate, and Shairanwala Gate survive, yet many are in urgent need of repairs and restoration.

Gates of Lahore; Bhati Gate. The entrance to the “Bhati Gate” is located on the western wall of the old city. Just outside of “Bhati Gate” is the Data Durbar, the mausoleum of the Sufi saint Ali Hajweri (also known as Data Sahib Ganjbaksh).

Dehli Gate. The “Dehli Gate” was once the main and only road that led from Lahore to Dehli. The gate was built during the Mughal era. Although the gate suffered greatly in the 1947 riots, it has since been renovated and today is in its former glory.

Kashmiri Gate.
The “Kashmiri Gate” is so named because it faces the direction of Kashmir. Inside the gate, there is a shopping area called “Kashmiri Bazaar”.

Lohari Gate, Lahore.
The “Lohari Gate” is very close to “Bhati Gate.” In Urdu, loha means “iron,” and the gate is named Lohari because many lohars (blacksmiths) workshops were based just outside this gate.

Roshnai Gate.
The “Roshnai Gate,” (the “Gate of Lights”), is located between the Lahore Fort and the Badshahi Mosque. In the evenings, the gate was lit up, hence its name. It is the only gate that is in good condition and still retains its original looks.

Shairanwala Gate.
The “Shairanwala Gate, (the “Gate of the Lions”) was made by Maharaja Ranjit Singh. After its completion, Singh placed two live lions (or Shers) in cages at the gate as a symbolic gesture to warn any invader.

Akbari Gate, Lahore – 1962. The “Akbari Gate”, the most beautiful gate of Lahore, was named after the great Mughal emperor Akbar, who rebuilt the town and citadel. Close to this gate the Emperor also founded a market, which is named after him, “Akbari Mandi.” (Akbari Market). Akbari Gate was demolished for repairs but never built again.

Masti Gate Lahore in 1950s. Photo by Rao Javed Iqbal (Loh Kot Society).

Back
Top Bottom