What's new

Numbers don’t lie, Manmohan Singh was right about impact of Modi’s demonetisation on economy

The_Showstopper

Reaction score
Country
India
Numbers don’t lie, Manmohan Singh was right about impact of Modi’s demonetisation on economy

India is no longer the fastest growing economy, thanks to Modi-government's 'masterstroke'.

1.7kShares

Comments

modi.jpg

New Delhi, June 1: Debating demonetisation in November last year, former prime minister Manmohan Singh had called the note ban a “monumental disaster”, which would lead to dip in GDP growth by at least 2 percent. Six months later, the prediction of Manmohan Singh seems to have become a reality. According to government’s data, the gross domestic product (GDP) growth for the January-March period came in at 6.1 percent and India lost its status of the world’s fastest-growing economy.

In March quarter, the GDP growth was the slowest in the last two years. India’s GDP during the past fiscal grew at 7.1 per cent, which is much slower than 8 per cent in 2015-16. In terms of Gross Value Added (GVA), which excludes indirect taxes, the growth came in even lower at 5.6 percent over the GVA for 2015-16. Notably, all this is happening a few months after Modi government’s decision to discontinue old Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denomination notes.

Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, however, played down the impact of demonetisation on economic growth, saying the annual rate of growth was “very reasonable”. But Congress leader and former Finance Minister P Chidambaram was not surprised by the decline in economic growth. “I had said demonetisation will affect growth by 1-1.5 per cent. Spot on. GVA down by 1.3 per cent,” said Chidambaram on his official Twitter account. “Economy began slowing down in July 2016. Demonetisation made it worse,” he added.

Similar remarks were made by Manmohan Singh right after the demonetisation was announced. “…I would further like to point out that in my opinion that the way the scheme has been implemented will hurt agricultural growth in our country, will hurt small industry, will hurt all those people who are in the informal sector of the economy. And my own feeling is that the national income, that is the GDP, can decline by about 2 per cent as a result of what has been done. This is an underestimate, not an overestimate,” Manmohan Singh had said in Rajya Sabha.

In a column which appeared in the Hindu on December 9, a month after the demonetisation, Manmohan Singh had said note ban would ’cause grievous injury to the honest Indian who earns wages in cash.’ “It is my humble opinion that we as a nation should brace ourselves for a tough period over the coming months, needlessly so,” Dr Singh had warned. Months later, all his words are coming to haunt the Modi-government. Manmohan Singh was right in predicting slow growth of economy and demonetisation made it worse. But no one in the Modi-government paid heed and the consequences are before us.

The March quarter GDP figure in the last fiscal has come down to 6.1 per cent. The corresponding GDP figure in the previous fiscal was 7.9 per cent. So, the decline is nearly 2 per cent point, as predicted by Manmohan Singh. And numbers don’t lie. With 6.1 per cent, India’s economic growth was also lower than China’s growth of 6.9 percent for the first three months of 2017. India is no longer the fastest growing economy, thanks to Modi-government’s ‘masterstroke’.

http://www.india.com/news/india/num...t-of-modis-demonetisation-on-economy-2191172/

MMS is a smart man. In foreign policy as well he had Pakistan on the backfoot. With Modi its all hohaa but his actions have brought Kashmir increasingly into the international media's spotlight, whilst gaining no advantage as the behaviour of the Indian forces on the LOC is still the same as before. His international isolation of Pakistan policy too is a grand failure. I know I will have a 100 Modi Bhakts responding to me now so disclaimer, I have no intention of replying. This is just a simple observation of a foreigner and how he feels that despite MMS's 'timid' facade, he was far more of a dangerous adversary than the incumbent. As Indians you will know more about his domestic policies, which I am not claiming to know much about.

MMS is a smart man. In foreign policy as well he had Pakistan on the backfoot. With Modi its all hohaa but his actions have brought Kashmir increasingly into the international media's spotlight, whilst gaining no advantage as the behaviour of the Indian forces on the LOC is still the same as before. His international isolation of Pakistan policy too is a grand failure. I know I will have a 100 Modi Bhakts responding to me now so disclaimer, I have no intention of replying. This is just a simple observation of a foreigner and how he feels that despite MMS's 'timid' facade, he was far more of a dangerous adversary than the incumbent. As Indians you will know more about his domestic policies, which I am not claiming to know much about.
Modi is just a loud-mouth and many have understood that at least in the recent past. Though the Bhakts would say otherwise.

In any other Country, this Corrupt MMS would have been roting in Jail for the Rampant Corruption he & his Government was involved in.

He was in Slumber when GDP was going down under this Scamsters Rule. :lol:

In any other Country, this Corrupt MMS would have been roting in Jail for the Rampant Corruption he & his Government was involved in.

He was in Slumber when GDP was going down under this Scamsters Rule. :lol:
Who is stopping Feku to throw him in jail?

then ur type will first to cry vendetta ! just like prestitutes of NDTV are doing !
When you know that they have done wrong, why would that be a problem. Go act and prove it in court and I don't think anyone will buy this vendetta thingy then. Right?

When you know that they have done wrong, why would that be a problem. Go act and prove it in court and I don't think anyone will buy this vendetta thingy then. Right?
dont worry. Cases are going on. right now NDTV is doing mujra .. let me enjoy !

We lost our business and now we have to sell our house because our clients are bankrupts.

Thank you modi for destroying my Future.

We lost our business and now we have to sell our house because our clients are bankrupts.

Thank you modi for destroying my Future.

I got an Indian friend in UK. He got few properties here. He had to put one of his property on sale because his parents back home are struggling under this demonetisation drive. I looks quite bad from outside, not sure why Indians are keeping brave face over this rather monumental disaster.

I got an Indian friend in UK. He got few properties here. He had to put one of his property on sale because his parents back home are struggling under this demonetisation drive. I looks quite bad from outside, not sure why Indians are keeping brave face over this rather monumental disaster.

Ego.

You just can not take down 85% of working cash and expect a country to grow at same time.

All tier 1 class of India (politicians, Businessman and other influential elites )have already changed cash before even starting this saga.

Its only poor people, Small Businessman, Middle class people and zamindars who suffered.

@Taimoor Khan at least your friend is lucky that he have several properties, Unlike us.

Back
Top Bottom