What's new

Now we've democratically elected a totalitarian government- Arunadhati Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never get defensive. :) Our constitution guarantees you to have considerable margin of freedom of thought and speech(if not total). I have often spoken about the excesses of AFSPA in Kashmir - does not make me anti national.

In any case I not only respect Mrs Roy's right to speak but also will try my best to protect it.
If she did not have the opportunity and scope to speak we would not have known her stance in public. Now that we know her from her repeated utterances, we can form an informed opinion about her.
This brings me to an important point - she is not a part of Indian intellectual class. He views, aired openly are so braindead that she could not get any space in our public life other than extremist anti Indian outfits.

As for her rights, she has as much as me - only law can decide if she has crossed lines. In my opinion she is a vital asset to our nation, which we have used to successfully silence better speaking far leftists in the public domain.

Very well put. Couldn't have put it better myself. I am not at all sure about King_Mamba's assessment.

I think you are the only Hindutvavadi I can have a conversation with (well, @INDIC and one other, perhaps).

Nothing.

You have a right to free speech. As does every other Indian citizen.

What will you do if I ask you to read the Indian constitution before writing again?

Lol. We werent really debating about free speech. Do we? I already said, she can criticize anyone she wants . But questioning other vote?
She aint breaking any laws. But I feel it aint moral of her to question others vote. Simple as that.

If only we could put a fatwa on her head or perhaps a few lashes on her back might suffice! I am thinking 100 would do the job anyone for a higher number? :D or maybe if we contributed towards a dildo it might just chill the feminist liberal freak out

Very well put. Couldn't have put it better myself. I am not at all sure about King_Mamba's assessment.

I think you are the only Hindutvavadi I can have a conversation with (well, @INDIC and one other, perhaps).

Well, it's simple actually. Living in Kashmir (a closed society) and coming to work in Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Chattishgarh(lot more heterogeneous) etc has taught me the importance and value of multiple opinions, views, different ethnicities, cultures mingling together. Imagine a sky with only one type of bird, or an ocean with a single species of fish. Nature is made is accommodate variety. We should do the same. :)

Lol. We werent really debating about free speech. Do we? I already said, she can criticize anyone she wants . But questioning other vote?
She aint breaking any laws. But I feel it aint moral of her to question others vote. Simple as that.
Bingo!

I am sure she had this views for a long time. Now that she spoke, you know. She must be allowed to speak, then and then alone can they be known to us. Important don't you think?

That said, she is being ignored in the media even now - only here has she been able to kick a firestorm. But then we don't have work :D

You were challenged before, and you ran away.

I am challenging you again.

Show one post of mine where I support - covertly or otherwise - anti-national elements.

Nonsense.

You don't know what you are talking about.

I have never been a terrorist sympathiser. So get your facts straight.

Couldn't agree more. Very well put indeed.

However, my point was not about the soundness of her views, or about the reasons why many detest her. It was about the necessity to guarantee her the right of free speech. Even as many of us find her views on the Maoists incomprehensible, we need to give her the space to utter such views, while, of course, retaining the right to tear apart her views with logic and reason.

Utterly shameful.

There is no quota, no limit on our human rights, on our constitutionally guaranteed freedom of speech, for instance. And nothing in what she has said qualifies her for designation as an enemy of the state. Not in the eyes of the law; it is quite another matter that she actively opposes the Indian state.

These issues are not determined by our individual exasperation but by a court adjudicating the rule of law.

It is worrying to read supposedly responsible people advocating lynch law.

It's not a question of perspective either. It's a question of constitutional guarantees of free speech.

No one is running away...In almost every other post that you have made here in this thread, you talk about freedom speech for Arundhati Roy.While I have nothing against freeedom of expression, but I have a problem with its abuse, which is all that she does.She is the same person who spends nights with the maoists and then goes on to supporting the terrorists in Kashmir.Why is it that you are so much concerned about the freedom of speech of such a person ?Your posts are almost on the verge of declaring open support for her seditious activities. She is nothing more than an attention seeking woman who takes pleasure in trying to destroy the integrity of the nation.
We need to take deliberate, decisive and prompt actions to stop such anti-national activities.

That said, she is being ignored in the media even now - only here has she been able to kick a firestorm.

Even poor Kejriwal is finally realising that, people have interest in only so much drama. Ms.Roy has less of a shock value than before. She is now reduced to preaching only to the converted & the internet has made everyone a "writer".....:lol:

The man has done his fair share for our country. His very famous father, much more than a fair share. Disagree if you want with his views but to call him a supporter of anti-national elements is unfair & bordering on the absurd.

:woot:
Is he someone that an ignoramus like me would also be knowing about?

No one is running away...

You are running away. You accused me of sympathy for terrorists. Prove it, or shut up.

In almost every other post that you have made here in this thread, you talk about freedom speech for Arundhati Roy.

Did you stop to read the title? Whose freedom of speech should we talk about here, other than Arundhati Roy's?

While I have nothing against freeedom of expression, but I have a problem with its abuse, which is all that she does.She is the same person who spends nights with the maoists and then goes on to supporting the terrorists in Kashmir.

Does that mean that the right of free speech is restricted to those whose views you happen to like? It doesn't apply to those whom you don't like?

Why is it that you are so much concerned about the freedom of speech of such a person ?Your posts are almost on the verge of declaring open support for her seditious activities. She is nothing more than an attention seeking woman who takes pleasure in trying to destroy the integrity of the nation.

So?

She is still entitled to the protection of the law. The law does not apply selectively, to people whom you approve of. Even those who bother you are entitled to its protection.

And it is immature in the extreme to suggest that supporting her right to free speech is on the verge of declaring open support for her seditious activities. In fact, it illustrates the point that free speech is for all, not just for those whom I like and agree with.

Attention seeking, taking pleasure in trying to destroy the integrity of the nation, are not criminal offences, and they do not disqualify any citizen from her right to free speech.

We need to take deliberate, decisive and prompt actions to stop such anti-national activities.[/quote]

Even poor Kejriwal is finally realising that, people have interest in only so much drama. Ms.Roy has less of a shock value than before. She is now reduced to preaching only to the converted & the internet has made everyone a "writer".....:lol:

They are both painful wastes of time.

See his profile picture to get some idea.

Mama 'Joe', Mrs. Arora, Luthra who ran the refugee camps, Mrs. Luthra, Buchi Das (son's daughter of C. R. Das), Jagjit Arora, Osmany, Siddhartha Ray (daughter's son of C. R. Das), Jake Jacob, Papa 'Joe'. Joe is on one knee in front, with his kid brother and baby sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom