What's new

Not a Single Unit of Honda Civic Sold during March 2023 in Pakistan

But as per popular belief, people of Pakistan has tons of money, its only the government that is bankrupt. Or have the Pakistani awam moved to higher end luxury cars?

People have shifted their preference to SUV's and CrossOvers over sedans, sedans are going extinct in some models. But Corolla is still the preferred sedan, its sales also dropped.

Also the SUV's prices are actualy lower than the high priced Honda Civic.

The other reason is the economic condition going bad and people not investing, a wait and see policy.

Cars are too expensive to buy, I know people who spent 10Lakh for a car and drove for 5 years and then sold it for 15lakh. I would rather buy my favourite Daihatsu Cuore, strong car for the hilly areas, can drive through small roads and the big jumps.

But as per popular belief, people of Pakistan has tons of money, its only the government that is bankrupt. Or have the Pakistani awam moved to higher end luxury cars?

Prices have gone sky high, not even worth it.

Does Pakistan have good roads to handle the Honda Civic ? I see the cities with good roads. Not sure of the roads in rural areas. The Civic is a good car. It requires paved roads with no potholes

People have shifted their preference to SUV's and CrossOvers over sedans, sedans are going extinct in some models. But Corolla is still the preferred sedan, its sales also dropped.

Also the SUV's prices are actualy lower than the high priced Honda Civic.

The other reason is the economic condition going bad and people not investing, a wait and see policy.

Has the sales numbers increased for those other vehicles over this stipulated time? As graph says there is a sharp drop in overall car sales since last June.

Pak cars sales.JPG

Personally, I feel like this is a good thing. Pakistanillocal manufacturers need to pull up their standards instead of keeping their high profits.
Local car companies are probably most if not all just assembling the car parts. With imports cut, there is probably a supply shortage on top of the drop in demand in the face of the economic situation.

Interesting situation. I thought by now Haval would have a big SUV market in Pakistan. Or DFSK, like in Bangladesh. Cars with under 1.5 liter engine command a reduced duty band of about 300%. Luxury cars/SUVs demand 800% duty.

Bangladesh does not see much of sedan sales in new form. For Aam admi, Toyota Allion, Premio and Noah available in JDM Refurb form, which is 70% of market.

Hybrid JDM Refurb cars are all over Bangladesh now.

As a side joke - half of all rickshaws are plug-in vehicles now - monthly charging fee is Tk. 2000. The pickup on these is thrilling but brakes are rather weak.

Chinese HAVAL SUV's are getting some market in Bangladesh now (H6 and Jolion) and there are other Chinese offerings too, like MG and DFSK SUVs. Still early days. Here's a review from a Bangladesh auto vlogger,

But Range Rovers and Discoveries rule the upper end sales now. Bulk luxury sales are Toyota Prado (personal use) and Mitsubishi Pajeros (govt. use), the latter assembled locally for about 40 years.

I have seen quite a few Maybach GLS 600 on the roads. These were imported with 800% tax as were all luxury tagged models. Astronomically priced.....

Hyundai and Kia SUVs (Tucson etc.) are also getting very popular. As are lower end Toyota SUVs (Corolla Cross etc.) and the locally assembled Malaysian Proton SUV X70.

Last edited:
Crossovers are eating Sedans for breakfast. Why buy a shitty sedan when you can get a bigger better car for almost the same price.
Because they are lighter? Have better fuel economy? Better handling on roads?

This had to happen eventually, the price no longer justifies the mediocre (at best) built quality and other features. No sane mid would pay over 1 cr on a mediocre sedan, especially in this economy. If I had 1 cr to spend I’d buy a relatively cheap car and invest the rest.
what are the comparable cars to this in the price range?
I mean, in the US the civic is considered a work horse - it would go on and on.
if this is "mediocre" build quality, I want to know what is "acceptable" or even "good" build quality? can you give a few example cars so I can better understand?

(https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/honda/civic - ranked #1 in compact cars in the USA)

**** that i just pay off the check point guy and bring in a stolen ringer car into pakistan and sell for a fortunate.
lol what?
what are the comparable cars to this in the price range?
I mean, in the US the civic is considered a work horse - it would go on and on.
if this is "mediocre" build quality, I want to know what is "acceptable" or even "good" build quality? can you give a few example cars so I can better understand?

(https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/honda/civic - ranked #1 in compact cars in the USA)
Agreed, Civic is a nice car. It's not without competition. I'm quite fond of Toyota's offerings but I don't like the way they implement the CVT transmission.

Anyway you have to know nothing about cars to criticize the japanese brands on build quality. They are literally the best at it.

Last edited:
Because they are lighter? Have better fuel economy? Better handling on roads?

You missed the point on why people buy cars or SUVs in the subcontinent as opposed to in Turkey, EU or US.

Better fuel economy and handling is not the impetus for buying them.

Having prestige and show-off (as much as can be gained) is.....

An MBZ/Audi/Range Rover or even Maybach nameplate is cherry on top of the cake.

Interesting situation. I thought by now Haval would have a big SUV market in Pakistan. Or DFSK, like in Bangladesh. Cars with under 1.5 liter engine command a reduced duty band of about 300%. Luxury cars/SUVs demand 800% duty.

Bangladesh does not see much of sedan sales in new form. For Aam admi, Toyota Allion, Premio and Noah available in JDM Refurb form, which is 70% of market.

Hybrid JDM Refurb cars are all over Bangladesh now.

As a side joke - half of all rickshaws are plug-in vehicles now - monthly charging fee is Tk. 2000. The pickup on these is thrilling but brakes are rather weak.

Chinese HAVAL SUV's are getting some market in Bangladesh now (H6 and Jolion) and there are other Chinese offerings too, like MG and DFSK SUVs. Still early days. Here's a review from a Bangladesh auto vlogger,

But Range Rovers and Discoveries rule the upper end sales now. Bulk luxury sales are Toyota Prado (personal use) and Mitsubishi Pajeros (govt. use), the latter assembled locally for about 40 years.

I have seen quite a few Maybach GLS 600 on the roads. These were imported with 800% tax as were all luxury tagged models. Astronomically priced.....

Hyundai and Kia SUVs (Tucson etc.) are also getting very popular. As are lower end Toyota SUVs (Corolla Cross etc.) and the locally assembled Malaysian Proton SUV X70.
Chinese cars came to Turkey in 2010s and they failed miserably. They are trying to come back now but there's no market for them.
We drive strictly European and Japanese cars. Most sold car is actually Fiat Egea. It's made in Turkey.

Here's a little tour of the factory:

Me te Ohnda nai lessa?
Me te KIA le vi lai :laugh:

Does Pakistan have good roads to handle the Honda Civic ? I see the cities with good roads. Not sure of the roads in rural areas. The Civic is a good car. It requires paved roads with no potholes
You have not seen reborns in villages ? :P

Daihatsu Cuore
I liked its gear ratios in high gears, would choose it over Mehran any day back then.

But as per popular belief, people of Pakistan has tons of money
That is actually true, but there are two solid classes in the making now.

The amount of new SUVs (KIA/MG/Haval/Hyundai) one sees on the road, and then finding parking for the restaurants of Lahore especially M M Alam road is not easy in evening, one thinks public is richer than Government. Even if other crowded towns in lahore are taken into account like Johar Town or Iqbal Town, restaurants are busy at night. Its the markets in these towns that used to be crowded but not to same extent anymore.

Last edited:
Should be happy that Suzuki-Toyota-Honda monopoly is finally breaking eventually.

Civic is PKR 8,599,000 for the base variant Standard to PKR 10,199,000 for the top of the line RS variant. Public has better choices now.

This had to happen eventually, the price no longer justifies the mediocre (at best) built quality and other features. No sane mid would pay over 1 cr on a mediocre sedan, especially in this economy. If I had 1 cr to spend I’d buy a relatively cheap car and invest the rest.
When Civic was around Rs 4 million+, public was going towards Rs 5 million+ SUVs (Kia mostly).

You missed the point on why people buy cars or SUVs in the subcontinent as opposed to in Turkey, EU or US.

Better fuel economy and handling is not the impetus for buying them.

Having prestige and show-off (as much as can be gained) is.....

An MBZ/Audi/Range Rover or even Maybach nameplate is cherry on top of the cake.
The ones who wanted fuel economy in Pakistan went for smaller Japanese cares in 660cc category or 1000cc ones. Hybrids were mostly expensive.

One more shift was public didnt like heavy engines in cars even, 1300 was considered enough but it was civic which shifted people towards 1800cc and then even Toyota stopped 1300cc engine Corollas, however SUVs with 2000cc engine are roaming roads of Pakistan now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom