What's new

NDTV: India-Iran Strategic Chabahar Port Operational by Dec 2016,Access to Afghanistan, Central Asia

This project will never happen. Just like the IP pipeline, it'll get cancelled due to pressure from the outside.
I dont know, maybe India will be stronger to resist that pressure than Pakistan was when they abandoned the pipeline and left it to dust

I thought port was already operational!

"Work has already begun on the Chabahar port. There is a joint venture of Kandla Port Trust (KPT) and Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT). We will start port activities in a year or a year-and-a-half," Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Minister Gadkari told PTI in an interview.

On May 6, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed by Mr Gadkari and Iran's Minister for Transport and Urban Development Dr Abbas Ahmad Akhoundi after comprehensive talks between Mr Gadkari and the Iranian leadership during his visit to the country.

Contradictory statements unless MOU is at par with final commercial contract.

Good for India.
Now since India has its alternate root for Central Asian access it should stop disrupting CPEC as well as exporting terror in Pakistan and leave Pakistan to itself as you already have your hands on "Gwador Killer" stuff. Otherwise it would be assumed that india has Zero Confidence in this route.

Nope we will continue that

This project will never happen. Just like the IP pipeline, it'll get cancelled due to pressure from the outside.
I dont know, maybe India will be stronger to resist that pressure than Pakistan was when they abandoned the pipeline and left it to dust

Pakistan never cancelled its gas line project with Iran, India backed out that''s true. You're misinformed I am afraid.

Pakistan never cancelled its gas line project with Iran, India backed out that''s true. You're misinformed I am afraid.

Pakistan never officially cancelled it, but practically it did. We can read between the lines.
Iran finished the pipeline on its side of the border, but Pakistan did not build even one meter.

Lets call things out for what they are. Pakistan probably wanted to honor the deal (otherwise they would not have signed it in the first place), but had to back out due to US and saudi pressure

I think I said the same, didn't I? Even India had used it to export wheat to Afghanistan in 2012.
Yes,The port was partially built by India in the 1990s to provide access to Afghanistan and Central Asia, bypassing Pakistan
The first phase will start its operation with 660 m long container quay while a 550 m long multipurpose is simultaneously under construction,
” Kebriaee noted. He also added that Chabahr’s development plan has been formulated for 5 phases and, if fully completed, the total capacity of the port will rise to 20 million tons per year.

Pakistan never officially cancelled it, but practically it did. We can read between the lines.
Iran finished the pipeline on its side of the border, but Pakistan did not build even one meter.

Lets call things out for what they are. Pakistan probably wanted to honor the deal (otherwise they would not have signed it in the first place), but had to back out due to US and saudi pressure

Yeah, US sanctions was one of the reasons along with other like financial issue. Recently Pakistan and China has signed a deal, Chinese will now construct Pakistani side of the pipeline & I read somewhere the work has already started.

So let me reiterate Pakistan has never backed out.

Yeah, US sanctions was one of the reasons along with other like financial issue. Recently Pakistan and China has signed a deal, Chinese will now construct Pakistani side of the pipeline & I read somewhere the work has already started.

So let me reiterate Pakistan has never backed out.

Well. Lets wait and see how it all unfolds. Im not expecting anything, especially not in the near future.
Geopolitics is a teeth grinding process, and things move in slow pace.

But ultimately, I do hope the pipeline comes to fruition and for greater Iran-Pakistan economic cooperation.

Iran was ready to give loan to start pakistan side pipeline but Pakistan backed out....India will come to picture only once Pakistan start the pipeline work and finish Pakistan side work

Back
Top Bottom