What's new

Navy's MiG29 superior to IAF's Sukhoi 30

Even IAF Mig-29s will have Zhuk-ME. They were indeed comparing it with Su-30MKI.

BARS is a very old Radar. The top 2 radars in the world today, the APG-77 of the Raptor and the Monster Radar Irbis are only 5 years and 3-4 years old respectively. Irbis is so power hungry that the current engines of MKI can't power them. So we need new 117s engines to power them. But the problem is this engine is slightly bigger than the Al-31 engines on MKI. So it needs both modification of the Airframe & an engine upgrade for installing this new radar. The costs would be prohibitively high!! That's why we are struck with BARS for now, and the IAF is patiently waiting for an AESA radar from the russians. Or else, we would have upgraded to Irbis long ago.

This graph says Bars Detection range for a 5m2 target is around 175km,
Irbis-BARS.png

This link says, the maximum detection range for BARS is 140 km. Bars

This Official brochure, says Zhuk-ME is 120km for 5m2 target. Same as this deagel link- Zhuk-ME

The official brochure says, the detection range for bars is from 60-140, but they haven't given out the RCS. http://www.roe.ru/cataloque/air_craft/aircraft_99-102.pdf So 140 km for ? RCS is the question. Is it for 5m2?

Last edited:
This graph says Bars Detection range for a 5m2 target is around 175km,
Irbis-BARS.png

This link says, the maximum detection range for BARS is 140 km. Bars

This Official brochure, says Zhuk-ME is 120km for 5m2 target. Same as this deagel link- Zhuk-ME

The official brochure says, the detection range for bars is from 60-140, but they haven't given out the RCS.

The graph says Bars has ~135 km range against 10m2 target not 175 km against 5m2.

As far as I remember Bars can track a fighter size aircraft at a range of 160+ km.

The official brochure says, the detection range for bars is from 60-140, but they haven't given out the RCS.
How its official? Where did you get it?

The graph says Bars has ~135 km range against 10m2 target not 175 km against 5m2.

As far as I remember Bars can track a fighter size aircraft at a range of 160+ km.

How its official? Where did you get it?

That is not 135 km, it's 135 Nautical miles!

That's Rosoboronexport's official brochure which can be downloaded from their site.
But what irks me is they haven't given out the RCS. If only they had given out the RCS, it would end this confusion.

Other radar Ranges:

Kopyo-21I (on Mig-21 Bison)
Can Track- 8 Targets
Can Simultaneously Engage - 2 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 57 km

Kopyo-M (on Mig-21 Bison)
Can Track- 10 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 80 km

Zhuk-ME (Mig-29 Upgrade & Mig-29K)
Can Track- 10 Targets
Can Simultaneously Engage - 4 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 120 km

N-011 BARS (Su-30MKI)
Can Track- 15 Targets
Max Detection for ? sqm RCS - 140 km

Grifo-S
Can Track- 10 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 93 km

KLJ-7
Can Track- 10 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 105 km

BARS-29 (Same MKI radar but antennae adapted to Mig-29's smaller nose)
Can Track- 15 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 120 km

Irbis-E (Su-35BM)
Can Track - 30 Targets
Can Simultaneously Engage - 8 Targets
Max Detection for 3 sqm RCS - 400 km
Max Detection for 0.01 sqm RCS - 90 km

APG-77 (F-22A)
Max Track for 1 sqm RCS - 200 km

APG-81 (F-35)
Max Track for 1 sqm RCS - 160 km

Captor-M (EF-2000)
Max Track for 5 sqm RCS - 185 km

Zaslon-M (Mig-31)
Max Detection for 10 ~ 15 sqm RCS - 400 km

RBE-2 (Rafale)
Can Track - 40 Targets
Max Track for 3 sqm RCS - 100 km
Max Detection for 3 sqm RCS - 130-140 km

RDY-2 (mirage 2000-5/-9)
Can Track - 24 Targets
Max Track for 5 sqm RCS - 80 km

RC-400 (smaller radar based on RDY-2)
Can Track - 24 Targets
Max Track for 5 sqm RCS - 70 km

APG-68 (V) 9 (F-16 Block 52)
Max Track for 5 sqm RCS - 80 km

APG-66(V)2 (F-16 MLU)
Max Detection for 6 sqm RCS - 74 km

Su30MKI capabilities are actually hyped up by many folds. Every potent forth generation jet can easily counter it.
And now RAC-Mig is following same line i.e., Hyping it...
Care to explain which of those capabilities are 'hyped up', maybe it's just me but I don't see anything in the region even to close to it in the subcontinent.

That is not 135 km, it's 135 Nautical miles!
Ooops thanks for the correction.

That's Rosoboronexport's official brochure which can be downloaded from their site.
But what irks me is they haven't given out the RCS. If only they had given out the RCS, it would end this confusion.

Can you post the link pls. may be lot more info available there.

I have posted the link in my previous reply. Check it out.

Given that all the ranges in that official brochure is for 5m2, I concluded 140km is for 5m2 as well. But then again, BARS is manufactured by NIIP, and Kopyo & Zhuk by Phazotron. So the companies may have different standards. If only they had given the damn RCS!!

I have posted the link in my previous reply. Check it out.

Thanks. It gives info about contemporary Russian radars for fighter aircrafts. Also it clearly mentions that Bars is better than Zhuk-ME (I hate this radar). Though Zhuk-ME's surface/sea detection capability is still good but air-to-air range sucks. I always said Zhuk-ME is a shortcoming of the beautiful fighter Mig-29K. They should go for Zhuk-AE/MSFE or 2052.

don't be oversmart buddy! and be civil to show that you are not kid. Don't flame!!! If you have any civil answer to my post then come up with it and be mature in your post.

Your kind to mentality is not new to us.. We face hundreds of indian on this forum daily.
You say that Indian guy is trolling??
:mod:

but there are lots who think they are!!:rofl: seriously just imagine combo of su-30mki and ef-typhoon or rafale vs f-16

Listen kid, F-16 blk 52 already has better weapons as compared to typhoon, u r dreaming of typhoon, and we already have jet to counter it, typhoon used older versions of AIM-120 while F-16 blk 52 uses AIM-C5. Which is more superior !

Listen kid, F-16 blk 52 already has better weapons as compared to typhoon, u r dreaming of typhoon, and we already have jet to counter it, typhoon used older versions of AIM-120 while F-16 blk 52 uses AIM-C5. Which is more superior !

OMG
All you want us to say that Pakistan's military strength is superior to India's?
Ok sir we admit it?
Happy?
We even admit that Pak is ahead of usa, russia etc.
:victory:
:pdf:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom