What's new

Navy to deploy SWADS in BoB; To purchase Corvettes & Frigates

Talpotti belongs to us and denial will only make our maritime
claims shift with thousands of kilometers, losing by a large margin
to India.

And yeah, I'm not paranoid
1.jpg

No Bangladeshi is paranoid in deed other than those power hungry ill headed sold out politicians :tup: .

This now-submerged island is increasing in importance as the ITLOS judgement on BD-India maritime border nears. A lot of the Spratly Islands are submerged islands. But their importance made sure than the Chinese built structures on them to keep a continued presence. As long as its important, you can always find a way to use it.

Maybe it will be chinese Type-056 corvette
Can anyone tell me whether these corvettes could, by any chance, be Milgem?

Wont be surprised given Hasina just went to Turkey.

Cheers!!!

It is confirmed that steel cutting for the two modified Type 056 corvettes took place on 08 January 2013.
Deal were signed in 2012 for two used Type 053H2 frigates, which are currently under refit and expected to reach BD later this year.
It doesn't mention the USCG cutter, which would also reach BD within this year. The Naval Chief mentioned in an interview in May 2013 that another WHEC would be acquired in 2014.

Talpotti belongs to us and denial will only make our maritime
claims shift with thousands of kilometers, losing by a large margin
to India.

And yeah, I'm not paranoid
1.jpg

You are not paranoid, you are exactly right. Awami League govt actually gave us existence of Talpatti in the claim filed with ITLOS during resolution of Bangladesh-Myanmar dispute. By giving up claim on Talpatti Awami League not only deceived Bangladeshis with "somudro joy" but also forfeited thousand of KM of Bangladesh territory to india, even before judgement is given.

900 is a very good number. At first I thought they were as small as a battalion.

Damn, I always get confused between @bd_4_ever and @BDforever :confused:

Must do something about it....:devil:

Can anyone tell me whether these corvettes could, by any chance, be Milgem?

Wont be surprised given Hasina just went to Turkey.

Cheers!!!

From what we know, a bunch of off-the-shelf PLAN frigates. They will be getting the Type-056 Corvette, along with ToT. Now that's a good deal :D

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not paranoid, you are exactly right. Awami League govt actually gave us existence of Talpatti in the claim filed with ITLOS during resolution of Bangladesh-Myanmar dispute. By giving up claim on Talpatti Awami League not only deceived Bangladeshis with "somudro joy" but also forfeited thousand of KM of Bangladesh territory to india, even before judgement is given.

Can someone confirm about inclusion of Talpatti in ITLOS hearing that's going to be held in 2014?

There is nothing to include or exclude here. BD claim will always follow the border demarcation used between the two countries, that is - middle of the main flow of the river. And that flow will always include South Talpatti inside our territory whether its submerged or not. That line would be drawn into deep Bay of Bengal to determine sea areas. India is using a different technique. Ours and theirs have a difference of around 25-30 thousand square km of sea. My suspect is that the judgment of ITLOS would be right in between two claims. Thats what they did on many occasions; even during BD-Myanmar ruling.

Please refer to the Talpatti map posted by @integra. There is a white line that is touching S. Talpatti. This is an arbitrary line and is not a border demarcation line, because it was not there in 1947 map as S.Talpatti itself was not formed at that time. So, the actual boundary line ends a little NW of S. Talpatti.

Radcliffe Line was drawn basically to demarcate between a small Indian island in the west and a small BD island in the east. It was not meant that the border would keep on moving SE.

But, India started to claim exactly the same. Then came a time when S. Talpatti raised up from the sea sometime after 1947. India thought if it can establish claim on this island then the SE line can be extended further to squeeze BD sea territory.

Now, the S. Talpatti belongs to which country, remains the basic question that must be resolved first. This can be solved by deliberating on, but not limited to, the following points:

1) its location itself, at which side of the contesting countries it is lying? and

2) Soil from which country's river flows are contributing to its formation?

Map shows, it lies on the BD side. Also, Bangladesh has surveyed the flows of rivers and found that the rivers from Bangladesh are carrying soils towards S. Talpatti and are contributing to its formation.

The UN arbitration will certainly take note of many such points. I personally believe BD will get the possession of entire S. Talpatti and as a result the sea border will run south along the west of S. Talpatti.

Please refer to the Talpatti map posted by @integra. There is a white line that is touching S. Talpatti. This is an arbitrary line and is not a border demarcation line, because it was not there in 1947 map as S.Talpatti itself was not formed at that time. So, the actual boundary line ends a little NW of S. Talpatti.

Radcliffe Line was drawn basically to demarcate between a small Indian island in the west and a small BD island in the east. It was not meant that the border would keep on moving SE.

But, India started to claim exactly the same. Then came a time when S. Talpatti raised up from the sea sometime after 1947. India thought if it can establish claim on this island then the SE line can be extended further to squeeze BD sea territory.

Now, the S. Talpatti belongs to which country, remains the basic question that must be resolved first. This can be solved by deliberating on, but not limited to, the following points:

1) its location itself, at which side of the contesting countries it is lying? and

2) Soil from which country's river flows are contributing to its formation?

Map shows, it lies on the BD side. Also, Bangladesh has surveyed the flows of rivers and found that the rivers from Bangladesh are carrying soils towards S. Talpatti and are contributing to its formation.

The UN arbitration will certainly take note of many such points. I personally believe BD will get the possession of entire S. Talpatti and as a result the sea border will run south along the west of S. Talpatti.

It all depends on how sharp we can represent our claim there at the hearing. If we gain everything according to our claim, still there'll be problem because it's india...they'll continue their hegemony as usual. One thing for sure india is not that decent a country who will abide by the decision of ITLOS with BD if it goes against their claims.

I think its high time we also get some stealth capability in our navy. I mean, if you are spending so much behind this force, might as well get good stuffs!

Cheers!!!

Another point is, this disputed border territory is just around 30km form the Fairway Buoy area marking the entrance to Mongla Port. Any confrontation here would hinder flow of shipping into and out of Mongla Port.

Back
Top Bottom