What's new

Navy to deploy SWADS in BoB; To purchase Corvettes & Frigates

bd_4_ever

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Navy adds spl war unit to fight terror

Bangladesh Navy has commissioned a Special Warfare Diving and Salvage (Swads) unit to strengthen anti-terrorism and anti-piracy drive in the Bay of Bengal during peace time and to go for drastic measures during crisis.

With its organogram approved by the finance ministry in late March, the unit commissioned on December 27 last year is presently looking at a drive to clear the Bay of pirates and smugglers involved in arms trade and drug trafficking. The unit will have around 900-strong manpower.

“During peace time, this will be a complementary force with the coast guards in drives against smugglers, armed groups and terrorists in the Sundarbans area,” said navy chief Vice Admiral Zahir Uddin Ahmed.

The US government is assisting Bangladesh Navy to train and develop the force by giving it as grant dozens of rigid inflatable hull boats, defender class vessels and arms and ammunition. The navy is also procuring equipment using government funds from other countries.

From late 2008, the navy has been hammering on setting up this unit and began giving special warfare training to some navy personnel from the following year. It aims at completing training of all the personnel by 2015.

“We have been pursuing naval commando for a long time. We had naval commando in the erstwhile Pakistan Navy. It just took us some time to give it a shape. I have been fortunate to be in my current position to see it commissioned.” the navy chief said recently.

"The force is almost fit to launch operation now."

He pointed out that from the seventies, navy staffs had received training in the USA. Now the USA has brought trainers to Bangladesh to provide the training locally.

A major training includes deep diving for commandos so that they can dive in and plant explosives in enemy ships or installations. The divers are also trained to conduct underwater search, rescue or salvage of people and objects.

The Swads personnel are also trained to dispose of explosives and bombs.

Their training and ability to move quickly to remote areas would also help the navy to better handle natural disasters and post-disaster situation.

With the recent resolution of maritime boundary dispute with Myanmar, the navy now shoulders specific responsibility of protecting the country's offshore oil and gas blocks. And it has to deal with India in the same manner.

The unit will also help trouble-free fishing and secure mining at the country's harbour mouth and key shipping routes.

Another task for the Swads is intelligence gathering and combat surveillance during crisis period, said a navy source.

As war time preparation, the force is being trained to send saboteur teams to destroy enemy vital ships, installations and other major fighting capabilities.

“The addition is a major shift in our defence strategy,” said a navy high official.“ This will give future foreign investors in oil-gas or port sectors greater confidence to come to Bangladesh.”

The navy is currently strengthening itself further by purchasing two corvettes and two frigates soon. Two maritime patrol aircraft have been procured from Germany recently.

“Bangladesh has been affected directly or indirectly by piracy, armed robbery, arms-drug trafficking and other forms of smuggling, and poaching in its maritime front. Particularly, high piracy rates in the anchorage of Chittagong Port, the main maritime port of Bangladesh, have created a wrong image of the country as the second highest piracy-prone area in Asia,” said the official.

“The situation is further complicated by the recent development of maritime terrorism,” he said. In this trend, local criminals as well as trans-national criminal gangs, mafias and insurgents are posing threats to Bangladesh's maritime area. The new unit will deal with their threats, added the official.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=233460

At first i thought you are gonna add some spices to water of BoB to make salty water taste good for consumption.......:lol:

Coz SWADs in hindi means Taste

now read

Navy to deploy SWADS(taste) in BoB :alcoholic:

So basically our SWADS will see their first assignment/action in the BoB, in terms to counter terrorism and piracy.

Good luck to them!

Cheers!!!

At first i thought you are gonna add some spices to water of BoB to make salty water taste good for consumption.......:lol:

Coz SWADs in hindi means Taste

now read

Navy to deploy SWADS(taste) in BoB :alcoholic:

Well, its 'SWADS' and taste in hindi is 'SWAD'. There is a difference funny guy!

Cheers!!!

Can anyone tell me whether these corvettes could, by any chance, be Milgem?

Wont be surprised given Hasina just went to Turkey.

Cheers!!!

Most probably they were talking about chinese patrol vessels and old osman class :p frigates

Hear nothing on Talpatti..is their any Naval or Armed Forces view on this? All we hear on eastern coast nothing on western :what:.

the maritime patrol aircrafts are gonna be dornier do 228 right??

Can anyone tell me whether these corvettes could, by any chance, be Milgem?

Wont be surprised given Hasina just went to Turkey.

Cheers!!!

I dont think its gonna be a milgem. Its most probably gonna be a corvette or a large patrol vessel from china.

Finally they released the numerical strength of the SWADS. 900 is okay for now but i think they will need to increase the numbers later.

Hear nothing on Talpatti..is their any Naval or Armed Forces view on this? All we hear on eastern coast nothing on western :what:.

Talpatti sank. We currently have the manpower and equipment to focus on only one side. Let the navy purchase the new ships before expanding

I dont think its gonna be a milgem. Its most probably gonna be a corvette or a large patrol vessel from china.

Finally they released the numerical strength of the SWADS. 900 is okay for now but i think they will need to increase the numbers later.

Well, i would have loved 2 Milgem corvettes. Wasnt this in our plan earlier btw?

About SWADS, 900 is a good number frankly speaking..given it just took off during 2008. We need to focus more on the training and the equipments they operate rather then the quantity for now.

Cheers!!!

Well, i would have loved 2 Milgem corvettes. Wasnt this in our plan earlier btw?

About SWADS, 900 is a good number frankly speaking..given it just took off during 2008. We need to focus more on the training and the equipments they operate rather then the quantity for now.

Cheers!!!

I think the deal never took place. It was just a contender thats all.

I said i am happy with 900 soldiers....for now..... :D

Talpatti sank. We currently have the manpower and equipment to focus on only one side. Let the navy purchase the new ships before expanding

How do you claim that Talpatti sank? If you are based on crap indian media, you are misguided...go to maps.google.com and see South Talpatti, it clearly distinctly shows land and water. Besides, if you have any reliable source other than india (I don't believe them), let us know.

How do you claim that Talpatti sank? If you are based on crap indian media, you are misguided...go to maps.google.com and see South Talpatti, it clearly distinctly shows land and water. Besides, if you have any reliable source other than india (I don't believe them), let us know.

The news i read about south talpatti sinking was reported by AP(associated press).

Anyway even if it re-appears, it belong to us anyways

Talpotti belongs to us and denial will only make our maritime
claims shift with thousands of kilometers, losing by a large margin
to India.

And yeah, I'm not paranoid
1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom