What's new

NAVFAC Pacific Welcomes New Commander to Helm

USAHawk785

Reaction score
Country
United States
PEARL HARBOR (NNS) -- Capt. Bret Muilenburg relieved Rear Adm. Scott Weikert as commander of Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Pacific during a change of command ceremony May 14 at NAVFAC Pacific headquarters.

NAVFAC Commander and Chief of Civil Engineers Rear Adm. Kate Gregory delivered the keynote address and welcomed Muilenburg back to the NAVFAC team and praised Weikert for the sacrifices he's made to serve in the Pacific.

"We are lucky to have Bret Muilenburg take on this position. There's nobody better suited for this job," said Gregory. "He really understands what we, the NAVFAC team, does out in the Pacific. We welcome and thank you for all that you've done to prepare and be here for this."

Muilenburg, a familiar face around the Navy community in Hawaii, most recently served with Commander, Pacific Fleet (COMPACFLT) as a staff member; chief of staff for Commander, Navy Region Hawaii (CNRH); and commanding officer of NAVFAC Hawaii.

Muilenburg was nominated in March for appointment to the rank of rear admiral and assumes command of approximately 4,000 military and civilian men and women who work for NAVFAC Pacific and its three Facilities Engineering Commands in Hawaii, Guam and Japan. He will also serve as the PACFLT Civil Engineer.

A native of Titusville, Fla., Muilenburg was commissioned a Civil Engineer Corps (CEC) officer after graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1984. His extensive educational background includes a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Master of Science Degree in Engineering Management from George Washington University, and Master of Science Degree in Environmental Engineering and Science from Stanford University. In addition, Muilenburg completed the Executive Education Advanced Program at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business.

He is a qualified Seabee Combat Warfare (SCW) Officer and his operational tours of duty include assignments with Naval Mobile Construction Battalions (NMCB) 62, 133 and 7, along with the 30th Naval Construction Regiment (NCR). Prior to reporting to PACFLT in 2012, Muilenburg served as commodore, 30th NCR; and commander, Task Force Forager and theater engineers for International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) Joint Command in Afghanistan.

"It's nice to be back, we're delighted and particularly glad to have the opportunity now to work with NAVFAC Pacific," said Muilenburg. "This organization is known for decades for handling tough jobs with extreme competence and achievement with quality individuals, which I've had the pleasure to work with these past months, and I look forward to the future with you. I'm very proud to serve with all of you folks."

Muilenburg is a registered professional engineer in Virginia, a member of the Defense Acquisition Corps and his personal awards include Legion of Merit (three awards), Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal (four awards), Navy Commendation Medal (two awards), Army Commendation Medal, Navy Achievement Medal, and the Commander in Chief, U.S. Naval Forces Europe Environmental Quality Award.

"Admiral Weikert sacrificed a lot to make sure our Navy could do what it needed to do to provide security out here in the Pacific," said Gregory. "It's truly a tremendous effort, and I thank you for all you've done to make that happen. You have really shown what it means to be a naval officer and citizen of the United States."

Weikert served as NAVFAC Pacific commander from October 2012 to May 2013. During his tenure, he led and inspired the team in fiscally challenging times and was a tremendous leader and team player. He will continue to serve as deputy commander for NAVFAC and deputy chief of civil engineers. Weikert plans to retire from the Navy in September 2013.

"This has been one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences in my professional career," said Weikert. "I've never served in Hawaii and didn't know what Ohana was about, but I do now. I have the greatest respect and admiration for you, your patience, your perseverance, your professionalism and for the broad range of products and service you provide to our Navy. I thank you for everything you've taught me, and I will forever be grateful for that."

Back
Top Bottom