What's new

Mystery of CPEC Payments

Jacob Martin

Reaction score
Country
India
The latest quarterly report by the State Bank of Pakistan points out an intriguing development regarding the payments connected with CPEC projects. This year, the gap between import recorded by the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) and the State Bank has widened to a historic high. The report says that over a 10-year period, this gap has been an average of $1.6 billion, but this year it climbed to $3bn.

There are good reasons why there should be a gap between the figures reported by the PBS and those reported by the State Bank. The PBS uses customs data, where goods landing at the port are valued by the customs authorities before being assessed for duty, while the State Bank uses banking data, where banks report how much they have paid for imports through letters of credit.

Often goods that land at the port have been paid through means other than a banking channel, or in some cases they are paid under a deferred payment plan, so the goods arrive and their value is registered as an import by customs, but the payment is sent much later through banks.

But there are no good reasons as to why this discrepancy should be so large, and why this massive gap should materialise so suddenly in the first half of the current fiscal year. A closer look shows some interesting developments. Here is what the report says: “a large share of this discrepancy can be explained by the surge in import of power generation machinery, which is being recorded by customs but is not fully visible in import financing data available with SBP. The gap in import data for power generation equipment also widened dramatically to US$ 1.1bn in H1-FY17, from the previous 10-year’s average of just US$ 193 million. Since most power sector activity in the country is taking place under the CPEC umbrella, it is highly probable that the widening gap between the two import datasets is linked with the CPEC”.

It appears that power-generation machinery is landing at the port but the outgoing payments cannot be seen.
So it appears that power-generation machinery is landing at the port but the corresponding outgoing payments for this machinery cannot be seen. Either the payments will be due much later, or the companies responsible for the projects are simply making the payments directly in China, after taking a loan from a Chinese bank. This is how the report puts it: “Typically, banks report import financing data to SBP after importers make payments against L/Cs. However, that appears not to be the case with imports of power generation machinery over the past two and a half years: there has been a relatively minor increase in these imports based on L/C-level data provided by commercial banks to SBP. Hence, it appears that the bulk of these machinery imports are being financed from outside the Pakistani banking channel.”

Translation: we’re not sure what’s going on. How are we seeing large-scale imports landing at the port, but not seeing any payment going out for them? If the settlement is being made “outside the Pakistani banking channel”, what does that imply for the “investments” we were supposed to see from China? Surely the outflows on debt servicing will go from the Pakistani channel, but the inflows are not being routed through it.

“This difference indicates that capital equipment imports into the country, FDI and loans from China are not being fully captured in BoP data,” says the report. So our balance-of

payments accounts is now way off, and we have an ever-diminishing idea of how much is coming and going. But what happens once these projects begin commercial operations and their debts and repatriation of dividends gets going? Will that bill arrive with a bang?

Connected to this is another intriguing development: the level of Chinese foreign direct investment coming into the country appears to have fallen, even as the project’s implementation is gathering pace and large-scale machinery imports are getting going. Inflows from China as direct investment actually dropped this year by 54 per cent compared to last year, with the bulk of this decline in the power sector.

So how come the power sector is seeing massive amounts of Chinese activity, with projects gathering speed and momentum and large amounts of machinery landing at the port, while imports and investment from China are either stagnant or declining sharply? Connected with this is the fact that loans from China are rising, particularly for balance-of-payments support. In the first half of the fiscal year, the government has received $848m in loans from a Chinese bank, presumably as balance-of-payments support to help pay for whatever Chinese imports are coming, for which payments are being sent through the Pakistani banking system.

Given the massive scale of the funds involved, the State Bank is right to feel a little puzzled as to why the banking system has not felt the stress from these payments. For now, we can rejoice that material is landing in the country seemingly for free, but project documents make clear that these are commercial projects, so it should be equally clear that soon outflows will begin to pay their cost. So if the stress hasn’t manifested itself yet, that could mean it will arrive later, in magnified form, because we will have to pay not only for the equipment, but interest on top.

This is further evidence that we do not fully know how CPEC is really going to work once it gets going. If the government knew that this is how the procurement would work, it would have been a good idea to inform the State Bank in advance so they would not be taken by surprise in December of this year and have to launch a rather large reconciliation exercise. And if they didn’t know that this is how things were going to work, then one can only wonder what else they don’t know about these deals.

The writer is a member of staff.

khurram.husain@gmail.com

Twitter: @khurramhusain

Published in Dawn, April 6th, 2017

https://www.dawn.com/news/1325124/mystery-of-cpec-payments

This is a day old, so I am not sure hasn't been posted already.

Highlights one of the main concerns raised earlier about CPEC, that much of the "investment" will be loans processed by Chinese Banks and handed over to suppliers/service providers in China, with Pakistan left to foot the bill.

LOL DAWN news again.

Yup it will remain mystery for them for ever

I think the article makes it quite clear. If investment is supposed to be happening in Pakistan, and yet none of the money is flowing through it, that means that Chinese companies are siphoning all of it. No payments are being made to local service providers in Pakistan who are supposed to be working on CPEC.

This was one of the advantages touted - that Pakistani companies will get contracts for providing various services and raw material. If no money is coming in that means the Chinese are doing all the work without Pakistani involvement and no money is being paid to Pakistanis. It's not very difficult to understand really.

and indians

Your knee jerk reaction is welcome. Always shoot the messenger. Well done.

I think the article makes it quite clear. If investment is supposed to be happening in Pakistan, and yet none of the money is flowing through it, that means that Chinese companies are siphoning all of it. No payments are being made to local service providers in Pakistan who are supposed to be working on CPEC.

This was one of the advantages touted - that Pakistani companies will get contracts for providing various services and raw material. If no money is coming in that means the Chinese are doing all the work without Pakistani involvement and no money is being paid to Pakistanis. It's not very difficult to understand really.

Your knee jerk reaction is welcome. Always shoot the messenger. Well done.

Lots of If(s) and typical speculations by you guys. Its boring now.

2 years back DAWN was even not sure IF CPEC projects will even materialize by 10%

Lots of If(s) and typical speculations by you guys. Its boring now.

2 years back DAWN was even not sure IF CPEC projects will even materialize by 10%

Firstly, who is "you guys" over here? Is it so conspiratorial to read and make assessments based on evidence? Or is it that any scrutiny of CPEC is evil by nature?

The doubts expressed were regarding efficacy and benefits accruing to Pakistan. China can always decide to build projects in other countries and have them foot the bill, it is for Pakistanis to be vigilant that doesn't happen.

The way things are going, we can even expect China to double the "investment" in CPEC, if Pakistan keeps agreeing that it is liable to repay money handed over by Chinese Banks to Chinese companies. Now who wouldn't like to "invest" like that?

Dawn has no clue about what investigative journalism is all about.

They just write a whole bunch of ifs thens maybes to promote their own neo-liberal agenda... while all the time trying their damn best to appease the people to the SOUTH.

At best lazy journalism... or at worst treasonous journalism ...

CPEC will be the biggest mystery of this century, Indian think tanks are joining their head to figure it out, they have calculated all the loan, interests paid and is to be paid, Pakistan's imports and export and how is Pakistan going to make the payment...it just baffles them

You expect money to be flowing when most of the projects havent even been completed? What has been done so far is also electrical or highways related, so you cant expect fast returns on projects like that since they build up over time.

As for the money going to Pakistani companies, the issue lies with the reporting of the money to the SBP, as long as both parties get their dues then this isn't even a major issue.

Dawn is famous for these kind of sensationalist hitpieces, I can already guess the comments (like most Dawn articles) is going to be full of raving Indians who primarily read this garbage.

edit - looks like i was right, 50 moronic comments from Indians about China "exploiting" Pakistan

You expect money to be flowing when most of the projects havent even been completed? What has been done so far is also electrical or highways related, so you cant expect fast returns on projects like that since they build up over time.

As for the money going to Pakistani companies, the issue lies with the reporting of the money to the SBP, as long as both parties get their dues then this isn't even a major issue

I really don't see why all this confusion exists. The article makes a simple claim. Projects are being implemented in Pakistan, machinery and materials are landing up and being used. And yet, there is no financial involvement from the Pakistani side. Which means that Chinese Banks are lending money to Chinese firms for projects implemented in Pakistan.

Had Pakistani firms been engaged, then the Chinese Banks would be lending to Pakistani firms. This is an issue because many of the projects are by way of tender where the government of Pakistan is the ultimate debtor. The rationale that it will bring business for Pakistanis therefore goes out of the window. Being saddled with such huge loans makes sense partly because there is a legitimate expectation that sub-contracting will circulate a significant portion of the money within the domestic economy. As things stand, the Pakistan government is left with the job of paying for these projects which are undertaken by the Chinese where a the money goes to them exclusively.

What you mentioned about receipts from these projects being in the future is partly correct. But that has nothing to do with the current scenario this article mentions.

Dawn is famous for these kind of sensationalist hitpieces, I can already guess the comments (like most Dawn articles) is going to be full of raving Indians who primarily read this garbage

Look, we all like reading stuff that confirms to our worldview. Earlier when spreading propaganda in the name of news was not so valued, Dawn was rated as Pakistan's best paper. Same goes for The Hindu in India. Such objective journalism has few takers today.

edit - looks like i was right, 50 moronic comments from Indians about China "exploiting" Pakista

They may be Indian, but that does not make them wrong by definition. Surely some of the comments would be ill-informed, as they always are. But in the desperation to see CPEC succeed, some very obvious facts are being missed.

Which means that Chinese Banks are lending money to Chinese firms for projects implemented in Pakistan.

This is just how the Chinese operate with their foreign investments, the contracts go to their state-owned companies and they bring in their own technicians to work on the projects.

In the case of CPEC there simply isnt Pakistani firms capable of constructing the higher efficient Chinese power plants, or the equipment to drill deep underground. They do assign their own technicians to oversee a team of Pakistani engineers, and one of the purposes of the Chinese techs is to train and assist the Pakistani engineers in the design and construction of these projects. Many of the projects also have the Chinese 'sub-contracting' to Pakistani firms anyway, the Chinese usually just maintain control on the engineering and design side of the projects.

Projects that can be independently handled by Pakistani companies such as the road projects and buildings are awarded to Pakistani firms.

Any other claims are just wild speculation because the simple fact is that a lot of information regarding CPEC is withheld by government officials, so its ridiculous to make these kind of articles in the absence of information.

the Pakistan government is left with the job of paying for these projects which are undertaken by the Chinese where a the money goes to them exclusively.

The Chinese want security on their investments and this is just how they operate, CPEC is after all a series of loans and not charity. Besides that, it doesnt matter becasue the benefit gained from these projects is worth it:

The power grid is becoming balanced, railways are being revamped across the country, a major fibre optic project, Lahore Mass transit system, and of course the construction and revamping of many highways across the country.

Yes there may be a debt trap if the economy suddenly stagnates and doesn't grow, but as long as it does (and it will), then it will be enough to offset the debt.

Look, we all like reading stuff that confirms to our worldview. Earlier when spreading propaganda in the name of news was not so valued, Dawn was rated as Pakistan's best paper. Same goes for The Hindu in India. Such objective journalism has few takers today.

It used to be good and you can see for yourself if you read articles from several years back, although they had criticism they were more balanced and usually proposed solutions or ideas at the end. Compare that with what they write now, and its clear that at some point they decided to completely switch their theme and writing style.

Another 'coincidence' is that those older articles were completely absent of Indians, and now almost every article on Dawn is flooded with them. They are clearly pandering to a certain type of audience, and they are a business after all.

They may be Indian, but that does not make them wrong by definition. Surely some of the comments would be ill-informed, as they always are. But in the desperation to see CPEC succeed, some very obvious facts are being missed.

Yes, and in the desperation for CPEC to fail, some facts are misrepresented and wild leaps in logic are made in the absence of important facts.

it just baffles them

It baffles most people who study economics. While I agree that CPEC is not a simple binary of China builds-Pak pays, but still there are parts of it that are inexplicable at the moment.

Building infrastructure and energy production capacity is good, undoubtedly. And so are the positive spin-offs in the form of local development, connection to markets, etc. But one of the primary reasons such projects are considered desirable is because it helps local industry. Pakistani companies are supposed to be providing the construction material, technical assistance, supplies, manpower, and also executing less difficult parts of the project. It seems that is not happening.

own neo-liberal agenda

While I don't wish to address the rest of your post, I would disagree with this part. I have read Dawn long enough to know that it is not neo-liberal in the least. It is liberal-progressive. Big difference.

It baffles most people who study economics. While I agree that CPEC is not a simple binary of China builds-Pak pays, but still there are parts of it that are inexplicable at the moment.

Building infrastructure and energy production capacity is good, undoubtedly. And so are the positive spin-offs in the form of local development, connection to markets, etc. But one of the primary reasons such projects are considered desirable is because it helps local industry. Pakistani companies are supposed to be providing the construction material, technical assistance, supplies, manpower, and also executing less difficult parts of the project. It seems that is not happening.

While I don't wish to address the rest of your post, I would disagree with this part. I have read Dawn long enough to know that it is not neo-liberal in the least. It is liberal-progressive. Big difference.

I am actually liberal myself... beyond the usual norm... however, any appeasement of eternal enemies of pakistan.. You are a neo-liberal in my books.

So where do you think construction material is coming? Cement, Iron, etc ?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom