What's new

"My body is in exile but my soul is in Pakistan"

Creed

New Recruit

Reaction score
By Murtaza Ali Shah

Altaf Hussain, the supreme leader and founder of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), in an exclusive interview shares that the brutal military crackdown of 1992 on his party failed to crack the resolve of his comrades and "hardships only strengthened and projected his party's philosophy of ridding Pakistan from the enslavement of the ****** rich and corrupt feudal lords -- to bring about a genuine middle class revolution". But he admits that his soul hit the rock bottom at that time, mainly because he thought "he was being victimised through a ruthless misinformation and character-assassination campaign across Pakistan."

The London-based self-exiled leader, who has masterfully maintained his political hold on Pakistan's industrial backbone Karachi, is happy that his relationship with the establishment is becoming more amicable by the day with the removal of suspicions and doubts about his party.

The former student leader from a middle-class background warns that Pakistani state doesn't afford anymore romantic affairs with the so-called jihadis and religious extremists. Excerpts follow:

The News on Sunday: How relevant is MQM's message today?

Altaf Hussain: Due to the progressive, liberal, democratic and egalitarian approach of the MQM, people have begun to understand the relevance of the MQM in today's political climate.

One thing that is also very positive and appealing to the people of Pakistan is that the MQM wants religious harmony and is against all sorts of religious extremism. People are witnessing that MQM is the only political party which has been vocal against Talibanisation and Al-Qaeda's terrorist activities.

TNS: What lessons have the party learnt and how chastened are you?

AH: It's a sad state of affairs that in Pakistan a corrupt political culture is prevailing. We have observed the mistakes and corrupt practices committed by other political parties and learnt a great deal to keep the MQM free from such mistakes and corrupt practices.

TNS: How is life in exile for a leader who is loved by millions?

AH: Before answering your question I would like to mention a famous saying or couplet,

Ghayal Ki Ghath Ghayal Jane or Na Jane Koi!!!

Meaning: Jis per Jo gozarte ha who hi Behter Janta hay

(Only the sufferer knows the pain of suffering and no one else).

My body is in exile but my soul is with my people in Pakistan. I miss my leaders, office bearers, followers and sympathisers each and every minute.

TNS: How have you succeeded in maintaining discipline in your party while in exile?

AH: Whilst living in exile, I was able to maintain discipline in the party because I am still committed, dedicated, determined and optimistic that one day the MQM and its reformist philosophy will take the entire nation under one banner. This is very true that if I were on the ground, our growth nationwide would be much faster.

No person goes into exile through his or her own desire or happiness, but under undesirable conditions or circumstances. As a patriotic Pakistani I miss Pakistan and the people of Pakistan very much.

TNS: Looking back, what would you describe as the highs and lows of your political life?

AH: Difficult phases come frequently in the political life of a leader. We continued our struggle despite all the hurdles and conspiracies hatched against the MQM by the establishment and state machinators. The MQM faced many pressures because it challenged the status quo.

MQM is the only political party to emerge from grass root level, including myself. Due to the persistent negative propaganda campaign against the MQM, the common, working class, innocent people became so confused that they believed the propaganda. The people of Punjab became particularly confused thinking that the MQM was a terrorist organisation, an agent of India and anti-Pakistan, which greatly affected the position of both the MQM and me in these areas.

After the commencement of the Army Operation on June 19, 1992, my party's and my position were enormously affected by the negative propaganda campaign launched by the then Army General, and those in high positions in the ISI. You might say that these were some of the lowest days of my political life.

The majority of my leaders and office bearers remain determined, loyal and committed to me. This support enabled me to remain committed to my cause and not to bow down or surrender to the massive campaign launched against the image of the MQM and myself. One can easily understand why my party and I are gaining the support of people throughout Pakistan, Azad Kashmir, FATA and northern areas. Now the people of Pakistan have begun to understand the reasons for the campaign against the MQM and have started to realise the benefits of the spirit of the liberal, secular and democratic approach and the philosophy of MQM.

You may term these days as the highs of my political life.

TNS: Critics say that you do not afford to stay out of government or it may lead to fragmentation of your party?

AH: Critics are critics, they can say whatever they wish. But the facts are entirely different. MQM has passed through crucial times both as a part of the coalition government and outside of the government.

When the Army Operation began, with the support of almost all the political and religious parties, the MQM remained intact and did not go through any kind of fragmentation. I have been in exile for the last 18 years and the MQM has gone through many ups and downs, but at present if you chart the popularity of the MQM its numbers have not decreased but greatly increased.

TNS: You started warning about the Taliban danger when there was almost a national denial consensus on Taliban. What alerted you to Taliban's looming threat?

AH: It is regrettable that even some of the learned people are unaware of the present scenario regarding the danger of the Taliban or are naïve to the efforts made by the MQM and the apprehensions raised by the MQM regarding the danger of Taliban. The MQM was the only political party of Pakistan to raise strong vocal objections to the Taliban and were the first to oppose Talibanisation and speak of the threat to Pakistan's future and that of innocent people. Now the government of Pakistan, the armed forces of Pakistan and the people of Pakistan are not only united but are also of the same opinion about the danger of the Taliban, just as the MQM had been warning previously.

TNS: What feedback are you getting from Pakistan?

AH: Yes, the profile of the MQM has increased enormously because there was a time when the MQM was alone in warning the government and the people of Pakistan, but now the entire nation, the government and the armed forces are not only united but in agreement with MQM's stance and are taking strong action to eliminate the menace of the Taliban.

TNS: How entrenched are Taliban in Karachi and what fears you had when you asked for the registration of IDPs into Karachi?

AH: MQM has been persistently warning the provincial and the federal government, armed forces, investigating agencies and the people of Karachi and the people of Sindh particularly for the past two years about the growing Talibanisation of Karachi. In the beginning though, the government and other relevant quarters and other political pundits started to blame the MQM. They implied that the MQM was simply creating a cause amongst the masses and exaggerating fears about the Taliban in Karachi.

Now everybody has witnessed that the Taliban are making Karachi their safe haven. The MQM is not against the migration of IDPs in Karachi but wants to make sure that under the guise of migrating IDPs the Taliban do not gain shelter in Karachi and start their criminal activities in this city. If this were not done by the government of Sindh then there is a chance that the Taliban may unite and form a strong terrorist network in Karachi.

TNS: You recently said that armed groups should be formed to counter Taliban. Will it not lead to civil anarchy?

AH: I have never said that armed groups should be formed to counter the Taliban. What I have persistently said is that people should form vigilant groups in each and every locality in order to keep an eye on the Taliban entering the city and their subversive activities in Karachi. How can this appeal to the people be misconstrued as any sort of encouragement of anarchy in Karachi?

TNS: What measures do you propose to free Pakistan of religious radicalism?

AH: I intend to continue to create and facilitate the promotion of modern education in accordance with the need of the present era and time and economic prosperity. The outdated and obsolete system of education should be abolished and replaced with the introduction of a new system of education. This should open the minds and replace outdated modes of thinking. New inventions are occurring each and every day. If we continue to think about travelling a great distance from one place to another on horses and donkeys, then our brains will never accept the vehicles that have already been invented.

TNS: What stops you from going back to Pakistan? What threats there are to your life and will you identify those forces posing threat to you?

AH: Time and again I have expressed my wish to the Central Coordination Committee and other office bearers and workers that I want to return to Pakistan, but my people are not allowing me to do so at this stage because they strongly feel that there are many unnatural risks to my life.

Before coming to London, several assassination attempts were made on my life but Almighty Allah saved me. When the opponent forces tried with hired criminals to assassinate me with hand grenades and explosives, it was at this time that the Central Coordination Committee of MQM and other followers requested me to go abroad and to guide them from there.

TNS: How are your relations at the moment with Pakistani establishment, mainly secret services and military?

AH: Many misunderstandings have been removed about the MQM within the establishment, secret services and the military. I hope with the passage of time those remaining, if any, would be removed as well. Time is the best healer.

TNS: Your party has been involved in violence recently with tiny splinter groups of MQM. Where is this group drawing support from?

AH: My party has not been involved in any violence with any so called splinter group but in fact was the victim of armed attacks of criminals. There are some groups in Karachi who are involved in land grabbing (land mafia), drug trafficking, kidnapping for ransom, car theft, dacoities, bank robberies, mobile phone snatchings and other criminal activities. MQM has requested Karachiites to form vigilant committees in their areas to keep an eye on such kinds of criminal elements. These neighbourhood watch groups became the biggest hurdle against groups of criminals. These groups of criminals take shelter within different political parties.

Recently, these criminals attacked different localities of Karachi with lethal weapons and as a result of their indiscriminate firing, 12 innocent people were killed and dozens were injured including MQM workers and sympathisers.

TNS: Do you regret supporting General Musharraf's supra constitutional steps?

AH: MQM was the only political party which did not support when he took over power. MQM was the only political party which did not take part in the Local Bodies Elections held in 2001, whereas other political parties and religious political parties took part in these elections. When General Elections 2002 were held we were hoping that the country will enter into a democratic phase. We never made any kind of alliance with General (Rtd) Pervez Musharraf before the formation of democratic set up. However, we made an alliance with the PML-Q, the political party led by Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, and came into coalition government at the federal and provincial level. It is on record that we opposed many of the decisions and supra constitutional steps by President Musharraf and boldly opposed the army operation in Balochistan province etc.

TNS: Will you consider returning to Pakistan back under international guarantee?

AH: If the hearts and minds are clear without any confusion and misunderstandings then there is no need to get any sort of guarantee from the international community to return. Look at what happened to Ms Benazir Bhutto after taking advice and returning to Pakistan with the guarantee of the international community. In my opinion, the minds and all sorts of misunderstandings must be cleared within the country as this is more important than any other guarantee or guarantees.

TNS: What is it that you have but other political leaders don't?

AH: The answer in my opinion is the commitment, determination, devotion and sincerity to the cause, goal and struggle, otherwise it is just a "tamasha" and nothing else.

The writer is an Assistant

Editor at The News - UK edition

If he is really taken strength from the 1992 blitz than why isn't he in Karachi instead of making long distance calls and roaring as he does.

Oay Don u are a *** nothin more lol .. whats your deal u moron ? wht u so pised at ?

Remember BB's murder he dont want to die in a bomb blast man

The truth is in Pakistani Politics is you either are there to defend your policies and politics or you die defending it, that is how Pakistani politics runs and people who run off to foreign havens are not Politicians their cowards.

The truth is in Pakistani Politics is you either are there to defend your policies and politics or you die defending it, that is how Pakistani politics runs and people who run off to foreign havens are not Politicians their cowards.

Interceptor Every time there is some thing about MQM it becomes a heated and hattred debate ... so i am thinking lets be reasonable over here and i have a better idea instead of posting all these propaganda videos why not ppl who disagree or hate MQM pick up on where he is wrong in this interview !! i mean i am sure most of members dont agree with him on all above , for eg talibanisation etc !

Interceptor Every time there is some thing about MQM it becomes a heated and hattred debate ... so i am thinking lets be reasonable over here and i have a better idea instead of posting all these propaganda videos why not ppl who disagree or hate MQM pick up on where he is wrong in this interview !! i mean i am sure most of members dont agree with him on all above , for eg talibanisation etc !

Yeah hate mongering is a epidemic, totally agree with you, but the only way you can better peoples view is through debate.

But I do see change in MQM, they have always been misread at times which is why they are so aggressive, they always been used as well to be blunt, looking at Musharraf era they were made to take part in history that will be read as violent and unfruitful lesson for Pakistan. The change I see is that they are more active in pursuing a relationship with political party and not a dictatorship, Karachi is peaceful interims of political and ethnic drifts. They are taking part in government development rather than in the past taking part in dismantling it taking key ministries let see how they perform in this term.

Yeah hate mongering is a epidemic, totally agree with you, but the only way you can better peoples view is through debate.

But I do see change in MQM, they have always been misread at times which is why they are so aggressive, they always been used as well to be blunt, looking at Musharraf era they were made to take part in history that will be read as violent and unfruitful lesson for Pakistan. The change I see is that they are more active in pursuing a relationship with political party and not a dictatorship, Karachi is peaceful interims of political and ethnic drifts. They are taking part in government development rather than in the past taking part in dismantling it taking key ministries let see how they perform in this term.
you said it all, sir!
i dont know , why peoples here cant accept a , MQM which is about to change its , path!
we as a nation , should incourge the betterment of our society on every level we could, the time when GOP was trying to make a deal, with "SWATI TALIBANS", it was a good step, thn & i & others on the fourm did agreed to appriciate it!
but that, doesnt meant we agreed to the theory of those, "SAWATI TALIBANS".

But I do see change in MQM, they have always been misread at times which is why they are so aggressive,

I agree with your statement that MQM is on a better path than before. My earlier comment was not only for AH but for all of our political leadership who live abroad and feel pain for Pakistan.

I live abroad too and feel pain for Pakistan so what is the difference between me and a politician? Well, the difference is that I didn't/ don't survive on bhatha or loot from the assets of Pakistan.

:pakistan:

MQM

2 years ago 12th may happened currently there is TARGET KILLING GOING ON IN KARACHI.....

now the good part about MQM is that it is working and building roads and everything in the areas where it gets votes....so YES MUSTAFA KAMAL might be VULGAR but is doing a good job...

now coming to ALTAF HUSSAIN... the day ALTAF HUSSAIN dies and MUSTAFA KAMAL becomes a leader of MQM i will THINK of supporting MQM.... but as long as ALTAF is the man in power i am sorry....and this is just because ALTAF LOVES ALL THESE CHEAP SHAAIR's.....so here goes this is what i think of him!!

DESI THARA IN IMPORTED BOTTLE!!

new leader means a new face & a new approach in the party!!!

If he is really taken strength from the 1992 blitz than why isn't he in Karachi instead of making long distance calls and roaring as he does.

BB came back because she wanted to participate in elections same goes for nawaz sharif
Altaf Hussain has never sought any public office and never will for himself or his family
he will never stand in elections for any seat
So there is no reason to come back to Pakistan when his party is working fine in pakistan keeping in mind his life will be in danger if he comes to karachi he has been attacked many times in karachi in the past
:coffee:

BB came back because she wanted to participate in elections same goes for nawaz sharif
Altaf Hussain has never sought any public office and never will for himself or his family
he will never stand in elections for any seat
So there is no reason to come back to Pakistan when his party is working fine in pakistan keeping in mind his life will be in danger if he comes to karachi he has been attacked many times in karachi in the past
:coffee:

exactly then he should resign from the seat of the "LEADER" of MQM and let better people take over and run things...people like MUSTAFA KAMAL....

that will be when mass people will come to support MQM....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom