What's new

Muslim student arrested in US after home-built clock mistaken for bomb

if you knew such a case why didnt you open a thread?
Because he was released. Police arrest people when they are suspicious. And then leave them if they find nothing wrong with them. That's how law works. That's how it worked here as well. This is how things happen in the civilized world.

On principal, yes.

But a Police officer could hold his hand and take him instead of Handcuffing him, would have been better provided he was unarmed which was the case.
The law has to be the same for all. USA does not make separate laws for Hispanics, whites, blacks (Err African Americans), Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims. One nation. One Law.

Another idiot kid with even bigger idiots for parents. How are passersby or the police to know whether the gun was fake or not? Why would anyone threaten other drivers with a gun, fake or real? What if he caused an accident?
Absolutely. Even a prank can cause serious harm in certain environments.

The law has to be the same for all. USA does not make separate laws for Hispanics, whites, blacks (Err African Americans), Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims. One nation. One Law.
I know that and i agree with your point. Just saying arrest procedure for kids in a certain group can be less traumatic for the kids.

Your point was discretionary, but not applicable given the potential gravity of the issue at that time.
It was more about the law or procedure which can be modified on certain criteria. Like age group, armed/unarmed etc..

I know that and i agree with your point. Just saying arrest procedure for kids in a certain group can be less traumatic for the kids.
That is a price to pay for being so stupid. It will save him a lot of embarrassment in the his future. There is a TIME and PLACE for everything. A ticking device in an aluminum box in an English class DOES look suspicious. In such a case, the kid is JUST a SUSPECT. :)
This is not India where the Police would hurl abuses, slap the parents or the kid and get away with it. What has been done is normal procedure. That's how the system works.

It was more about the law or procedure which can be modified on certain criteria. Like age group, armed/unarmed etc..
What if a kid truly has a bomb?
How would you know unless you make sure?

After the Police was sure, they acted appropriately. The support he got is also correct. Instead of abusing the US here, we should applaud them for being polite, considerate and humble. Few nations would say sorry to immigrant Muslim kid with ticking suitcases in this world today.

IRVING — Ahmed Mohamed — who makes his own radios and repairs his own go-kart — hoped to impress his teachers when he brought a homemade clock to MacArthur High on Monday.

Instead, the school phoned police about Ahmed’s circuit-stuffed pencil case.

So the 14-year-old missed the student council meeting and took a trip in handcuffs to juvenile detention. His clock now sits in an evidence room. Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock.

In the meantime, Ahmed’s been suspended, his father is upset and the Council on American-Islamic Relations is once again eyeing claims of Islamophobia in Irving.

Box of circuit boards
A box full of circuit boards sits at the foot of Ahmed’s small bed in central Irving. His door marks the border where the Mohamed family’s cramped but lavishly decorated house begins to look like the back room at RadioShack.

“Here in high school, none of the teachers know what I can do,” Ahmed said, fiddling with a cable while a soldering iron dangled from the shelf behind him.

He loved robotics club in middle school and was searching for a similar niche in his first few weeks of high school.

So he decided to do what he’s always done: He built something.

Ahmed’s clock was hardly his most elaborate creation. He said he threw it together in about 20 minutes before bed on Sunday: a circuit board and power supply wired to a digital display, all strapped inside a case with a tiger hologram on the front.

He showed it to his engineering teacher first thing Monday morning and didn’t get quite the reaction he’d hoped.

“He was like, ‘That’s really nice,’” Ahmed said. “‘I would advise you not to show any other teachers.’”

He kept the clock inside his school bag in English class, but the teacher complained when the alarm beeped in the middle of a lesson. Ahmed brought his invention up to show her afterward.

“She was like, it looks like a bomb,” he said.

“I told her, ‘It doesn’t look like a bomb to me.’”

The teacher kept the clock. When the principal and a police officer pulled Ahmed out of sixth period, he suspected he wouldn’t get it back.

They led Ahmed into a room where four other police officers waited. He said an officer he’d never seen before leaned back in his chair and remarked: “Yup. That’s who I thought it was.”

Ahmed felt suddenly conscious of his brown skin and his name — one of the most common in the Muslim religion. But the police kept him busy with questions.

The bell rang at least twice, he said, while the officers searched his belongings and questioned his intentions. The principal threatened to expel him if he didn’t make a written statement, he said.

“They were like, ‘So you tried to make a bomb?’” Ahmed said.

“I told them no, I was trying to make a clock.”

“He said, ‘It looks like a movie bomb to me.’”

Police skepticism
Ahmed never claimed his device was anything but a clock, said police spokesman James McLellan. And police have no reason to think it was dangerous. But officers still didn’t believe Ahmed was giving them the whole story.

“We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb,” McLellan said. “He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation.”

Asked what broader explanation the boy could have given, the spokesman explained:

“It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?”

Police led Ahmed out of MacArthur about 3 p.m., his hands cuffed behind him and an officer on each arm. A few students gaped in the halls. He remembers the shocked expression of his student counselor — the one “who knows I’m a good boy.”

Ahmed was spared the inside of a cell. The police sent him out of the juvenile detention center to meet his parents shortly after taking his fingerprints.

They’re still investigating the case, and Ahmed hasn’t been back to school. His family said the principal suspended him for three days.

“They thought, ‘How could someone like this build something like this unless it’s a threat?’” Ahmed said.

An Irving ISD statement gave no details about the case, citing student privacy laws.

‘Invent good things’
“He just wants to invent good things for mankind,” said Ahmed’s father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, who immigrated from Sudan and occasionally returns there to run for president. “But because his name is Mohamed and because of Sept. 11, I think my son got mistreated.”

He’s not the only one who thinks so. Not much for local politics, Mohamed wasn’t paying attention over the summer, when Mayor Beth Van Duyne became a national celebrity in anti-Islamic circles, fueling rumors in speeches that the religious minority was plotting to usurp American laws.

But the Council on American-Islamic Relations took note.

“This all raises a red flag for us: how Irving’s government entities are operating in the current climate,” said Alia Salem, who directs the council’s North Texas chapter and has spoken to lawyers about Ahmed’s arrest.

“We’re still investigating,” she said, “but it seems pretty egregious.”

Meanwhile, Ahmed is sitting home in his bedroom, tinkering with old gears and electrical converters, pronouncing words like “ethnicity” for what sounds like the first time.

He’s vowed never to take an invention to school again.

Irving 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school: 'So you tried to make a bomb?' | Dallas Morning News

Sad that a kid had to go through all this.
o_O

Because he was released. Police arrest people when they are suspicious. And then leave them if they find nothing wrong with them. That's how law works. That's how it worked here as well. This is how things happen in the civilized world.
2 days under custody only released after the people demanded the police to use the brain!

You wont understand what a brown person says so lets here it from the white:

Zero-tolerance policies may have been another factor in Irving case, experts say

eayala@dallasnews.com
Staff Writer
Published: 16 September 2015 10:46 PM
Updated: 17 September 2015 07:40 AM

Along with concerns about anti-Muslim sentiments, some say the arrest and suspension of a 14-year-old Irving boy who took his invention to school amounts to zero-tolerance policies run amok.

Since 1995, Texas — as well as much of the country — has taken a tough-on-crime, zero-tolerance approach to discipline. So how much discretion do local school officials have in dealing with such a situation?

Plenty, say those who follow juvenile justice issues in Texas.

Zero-tolerance has cornered our thinking so much that it prevents us from seeing the reality around us. I call it zero-intelligence,” said Michael Gilbert, a UT-San Antonio associate professor who researches discipline in schools.

In recent years, the Legislature has dialed back the volume on zero-tolerance, passing new laws that allow districts to consider individual circumstances. Texas’ tough stance had previously required districts to automatically expel students for certain offenses, such as bringing items deemed weapons to school.

Just this year, lawmakers gave districts leeway to consider intent for situations involving weapons before expelling a student.

However, when it comes to defining what exactly is a possible weapon — or look-alike — determining when police should be called and suspending a student, that’s a local decision driven by district policies and training, experts say.

Though ninth-grader Ahmed Mohamed claimed to have a clock, not a weapon, a teacher at Irving ISD alerted authorities Monday about the device and the student was placed in handcuffs.

Irving ISD had plenty of room for discretion in how they handled this,” said Terri Burke, executive director of the ACLU of Texas.

On Wednesday, authorities said Ahmed would not face any charges.

Irving school officials aren’t saying much regarding why they reacted they way they did, citing federal privacy laws. District spokeswoman Lesley Weaver spoke briefly at a news conference on Wednesday saying that information “made public to this point has been very unbalanced.”

“We were doing everything with an abundance of caution to protect all of our students in Irving,” she said.

The school district’s code of conduct prohibits students from taking a “look-alike” weapon to school, which can lead to suspension, placement in alternative educational settings or expulsion. But determining exactly what that constitutes is subjective.

Teachers often get general guidance on school safety before stepping into the classroom, said Stephanie Jacksis, spokeswoman for the Association of Texas Professional Educators. That training varies district to district and even by campus, she said.

They are often told that if anything suspicious happens, “they are to immediately contact administration who will likely immediately contact the police department after that unless they have a school marshal on campus who is trained on what to do when a student brings something that is perceived to be a weapon to school.”

In light of school shootings and other deadly events in public venues, Jacksis said an educator is more likely to be overly cautious in reporting something questionable.

“A lot of times teachers would rather be safe than sorry,” Jacksis said. “So sometimes they do report things that may not be as harmful as they believe it could have been. It just comes down to keeping the kids safe, especially with all the things that have happened in recent years.”

But what happens after such an incident is reported can vary greatly.

So more district-level training needs to be done to de-escalate situations before children are dragged away in handcuffs, said Morgan Craven, director of the School-to-Prison Pipeline Project at the juvenile justice advocacy group Texas Appleseed.

Craven hopes another new law will help with that as it requires districts with at least 30,000 students — which includes Irving — to adopt a policy in how they train officers who will be working in schools. She and others hope it will help police and school officials to better handle situations before they get out of hand.

Still, Ahmed’s case shows much more work needs to be done to curb overreactions, Craven said.

“Zero-tolerance is an ineffective approach to school discipline,” Craven said. “And our research has shown us for so long that children of color like Ahmed are negatively impacted by school discipline at much higher rates.”

Gilbert, who is also executive director of the National Association of Community and Restorative Justice, said school officials have to be concerned about safety but not to the extent that it hurts students. For example, he’s come across a case where an elementary student was punished for turning in an unloaded gun found on a playground.

We end up disciplining kids instead of talking to them about how to make better decisions,” Gilbert said. “The problem is not the kids. It’s us — adults.

Zero-tolerance policies may have been another factor in Irving case, experts say | Dallas Morning News

What if a kid truly has a bomb?
so a 14 yr old can make a bomb now? You are discrediting the bomb squad who ACTUALLY SPENDS YEARS STUDYING these things!

That is a price to pay for being so stupid. It will save him a lot of embarrassment in the his future. There is a TIME and PLACE for everything. A ticking device in an aluminum box in an English class DOES look suspicious. In such a case, the kid is JUST a SUSPECT. :)
This is not India where the Police would hurl abuses, slap the parents or the kid and get away with it. What has been done is normal procedure. That's how the system works.
You fail to see the point I'm making, being stupid should have a heavy price after a certain age, that's why laws are different for juvenile. I am not saying the officer did anything wrong but a 2 day trip to a juvenile home is a price alright.

Muslim teen Ahmed Mohamed creates clock, shows teachers, gets arrested

(CNN)When Ahmed Mohamed went to his high school in Irving, Texas, Monday, he was so excited. A teenager with dreams of becoming an engineer, he wanted to show his teacher the digital clock he'd made from a pencil case.

The 14-year-old's day ended not with praise, but punishment, after the school called police and he was arrested.

"I built a clock to impress my teacher but when I showed it to her, she thought it was a threat to her," Ahmed told reporters Wednesday. "It was really sad that she took the wrong impression of it."

Ahmed talked to the media gathered on his front yard and appeared to wear the same NASA T-shirt he had on in a picture taken as he was being arrested. In the image, he looks confused and upset as he's being led out of school in handcuffs.

"They arrested me and they told me that I committed the crime of a hoax bomb, a fake bomb," the freshman later explained to WFAA after authorities released him.

Irving Police spokesman Officer James McLellan told the station, "We attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only tell us that it was a clock."

The teenager did that because, well, it was a clock, he said.

On Wednesday, police announced the teen will not be charged.

Chief Larry Boyd said Ahmed should have been "forthcoming" by going beyond the description that what he made was a clock. But Boyd said authorities determined that the teenager did not intend to alarm anyone and the device, which the chief called "a homemade experiment," was innocuous.

Ahmed, who aspires to go to MIT, said he was pleased the charges were dropped and not bothered that police didn't apologize for arresting him. After he said he was interrogated by police without an attorney present, his lawyer, Linda Moreno, told reporters they wouldn't answer any more questions about the legal process.

Ahmed is suspended until Thursday, he said, but is thinking about transferring to another high school.

Teen Ahmed Mohamed brings clock to school, gets arrested - CNN.com

You fail to see the point I'm making, being stupid should have a heavy price after a certain age, that's why laws are different for juvenile. I am not saying the officer did anything wrong but a 2 day trip to a juvenile home is a price alright.

2 days in the juvi is nothing compared to what might have been.

This says it all:

Teachers often get general guidance on school safety before stepping into the classroom, said Stephanie Jacksis, spokeswoman for the Association of Texas Professional Educators. That training varies district to district and even by campus, she said.

They are often told that if anything suspicious happens, “they are to immediately contact administration who will likely immediately contact the police department after that unless they have a school marshal on campus who is trained on what to do when a student brings something that is perceived to be a weapon to school.”

In light of school shootings and other deadly events in public venues, Jacksis said an educator is more likely to be overly cautious in reporting something questionable.

“A lot of times teachers would rather be safe than sorry,” Jacksis said. “So sometimes they do report things that may not be as harmful as they believe it could have been. It just comes down to keeping the kids safe, especially with all the things that have happened in recent years.”

CPDaf3mUwAAPtUt.jpg

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom