What's new

Muslim student arrested in US after home-built clock mistaken for bomb

11998798_903975073012378_2695013171174776538_n.jpg

:woot::chilli::sarcastic::sarcastic::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::astagh:

Any arrests before age 18 without charges are expunged without leaving a record.

No, that isn't true at all. My friend who just became a law enforcement officer went through a background check and they pulled up something from his record from when he was 13 years old and was not convicted for. So government agencies can still find those charges on your record and perhaps background checking companies for private companies as well.

No, that isn't true at all. My friend who just became a law enforcement officer went through a background check and they pulled up something from his record from when he was 13 years old and was not convicted for. So government agencies can still find those charges on your record and perhaps background checking companies for private companies as well.

He is not telling you the complete story, then.

He is not telling you the complete story, then.

Government and their agencies can still have access to charges made against you even if there was no conviction. This is because a police report is kept documented and attached to your SSN. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Whats the need to call the police. A science teacher should have been able to tell its a damn clock. Are those teachers so incapable to differentiate btw a clock n a bomb before calling the police. ?

A science teacher is a science teacher, not an engineer or technician or someone who knows how to build bombs and can distinguish a bomb or clock, especially with those pics showing something that looks far beyond a clock. They followed the policies and rather be safe than sorry. Heck I hear news about schools shutdown because of threats or rumors that a bomb was in a school. I'm glad the kid was let go and was invited to the White House to compensate the mistake. But don't blame the teachers about this.

0916ahmedclock

Government and their agencies can still have access to charges made against you even if there was no conviction. This is because a police report is kept documented and attached to your SSN. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

When charges are dropped, they are dropped. This kid will have no repercussions from his arrest as a juvenile.

Had he been white would the treatment be the same?
Is that called racial profiling if the treatment would be different?
And was the expert (post 145 page 10) BS not knowing what he is talking about when he claimed this to be more obvious in coloured people? If it is biased how can it be right?

Profiling is an individual thing but in todays world it is being collective and termed phobia!

Read my posts again:

Racial profiling is a form of racism coz you are profiling a person based on a group of people not on the individual
Child was handcuffed even when he posed no thread (his clock was already confiscated)
Child was interrogated without a parent or lawyer (that itself is not right)
Child was kept at police station for 2 days (now where is the 24 hr rule esp when he is a child and the clock was already in the hands of police?!)

Call a spade a spade!

I have already answered your questions in my previous post itself, please read it again. And yes, 'profiling' is about differentiating treatment based on ones race, religion, ethnicity, gender, age, colour, education, wealth, native place, etc. Not only security agencies do profiling, almost all organizations selling products or services, banks and other lenders, even we all in our personal lives do this profiling.

Had he been white would the treatment be the same?
Yes. There are plenty of news items about middle schoolers who got arrested for similar transgressions.

Hernando: Girl arrested for butter knife in backpack
SPRING HILL - An 11-year-old sixth-grade girl was arrested Friday afternoon at Fox Chapel Middle School on a charge of possessing a weapon.

The weapon?

A butter knife.

The girl, who won't turn 12 until March and whose name is being withheld by the Timesbecause she is a minor, was handcuffed, taken to the Hernando County Jail and charged with the possession of a weapon on school property, a third-degree felony.
Or how about a pop tart gun ?

"Pop Tart" suspension should be upheld, school official says - CBS News
A hearing examiner supported the decision of a Baltimore-area school principal to suspend a 7-year-old boy for chewing a Pop Tart into the shape of a gun.
What happened here is a case of incompetent laws on the part of Texas lawmakers. They drafted and passed a law that essentially compelled the school and the police to arrest young Ahmed.

There is no widespread conspiracy here to target Muslims. Texas governor Gregg Abbott, who is a Republican, said that Ahmed should not have been arrested. Conservatives are calling the Ahmed case a typical case of the 'zero tolerance' mentality gone too far.

You know I have my doubts over this story, from what I have read he showed that clock to quite a few teachers and the last one even told him to put it away but he wouldn't do it. It seems that kid and his family were trying to exploit the situation. TBH that thing does look like a bomb at first glance.

Lol :D

This is their mentality:
View attachment 257201

God Bless America :D

lol

Muslim student arrested in US after home-built clock mistaken for bomb
By Web Desk
Published: September 16, 2015
0SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
957759-boy-1442397691-957-640x480.gif

The teenager was handcuffed and taken to police headquarters and was not allowed to call his parents. PHOTO: The Dallas Morning News

A Muslim ninth-grade boy was arrested in Texas after bringing to school a home-built digital clock which teachers mistook to be a bomb.

Ahmed Mohamed, 14, who had a keen interest in mechanics and a talent for making mechanical gadgets, had intended to impress his engineering teacher by presenting a digital clock which he had made himself. However, the teacher instantly became wary.

Describing his teacher’s reaction, Mohamed said, “He was like, ‘That’s really nice. I would advise you not to show any other teachers.’”

However, during an English class, the clock beeped and when his teacher saw it, she said it looked like a bomb. Mohamed, who had made his own radios and once built a blue tooth speaker as a gift for his friend, answered that “it doesn’t look like a bomb to me” but the clock was still confiscated and later on in the day, the boy was pulled out of his class by the principal.

“They took me to a room filled with five officers in which they interrogated me and searched through my stuff and took my tablet and my invention. “They were like, ‘So you tried to make a bomb?’ I told them no, I was trying to make a clock,” the boy explained.

Read: Chapel Hill: Three Muslim students killed in US shooting

However, the official insisted that it looked like a bomb, after which he was taken to the police headquarters, handcuffed and fingerprinted. Once there, he was interrogated and was not allowed to call his parents. Mohamed recounted that officers kept bringing up his last name.

Anil Dash

✔@anildash

I expect they will have more to say tomorrow, but Ahmed's sister asked me to share this photo. A NASA shirt! pic.twitter.com/nR4gt992gB

8:30 AM - 16 Sep 2015
CPAFMKrUkAABI2a.jpg

“I really don’t think it’s fair because I brought something to school that wasn’t a threat to anyone,” Mohamed said adding that “I didn’t do anything wrong. I just showed my teachers something and I end up being arrested later that day.”

Irving Independent School District spokesperson Lesley Weaver released a statement confirming that a MacArthur High School student was arrested on campus but she refused to discuss the case.

“We always ask our students and staff to immediately report if they observe any suspicious items or behaviour. If something is out of the ordinary, the information should be reported immediately to a school administrator and/or the police so it can be addressed right away. We will always take necessary precautions to protect our students and keep our school community as safe as possible,” the statement read.

A police report released on Tuesday cited a “hoax bomb” incident, listing three MacArthur High teachers as complainants against Mohamed.

Irving Police Officer James McLellan said in an interview to a local TV channel that the school officials and officers had been anxious about the device. “It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?” he said.

“Clearly, there were disassembled clock parts in there, but he offered no more explanation than that. A lot of these details that the family and he have provided to you were not shared with us yesterday. He was very much less than forthcoming,” the officer added.

Read: Does one Iftar at the White House change anything for Muslims in the US?

Mohamed’s father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, blamed the incident on Islamophobia and informed that his son had been suspended from school for three days. “He just wants to invent good things for mankind. But because his name is Mohamed and because of September 11, I think my son got mistreated,” said his father.

Muram Ibrahim, a 15-year-old cousin of Mohamed’s who was part of his middle school robotics team, was shocked to find out how he had been treated. “It just shocked me that people could do this to him. He’s a 14-year-old boy and he’s a genius,” she said, recalling how her teammates used to call her younger cousin over whenever they needed help.

“I thought there’s a lot of diversity at Irving [Independent School District] and I thought that it was different from other school districts. But I was wrong and it makes me really sad that I’m wrong,” she said.

Ibrahim also informed that she helped organise a protest at Irving schools, encouraging students to bring clocks to school in a show of solidarity. But as for Mohamed, he is still battling the memories of the handcuffs around his wrists.

“It made me feel like I wasn’t human,” he said in a video interview. “It made me feel like a criminal.”

The Council on American-Islamic Relations said they would be looking into the case and would be meeting with MacArthur High School principal and the Irving police chief on Wednesday, along with the Mohameds.

“I think this wouldn’t even be a question if his name wasn’t Ahmed Mohamed,” Alia Salem, CAIR’s executive director for the Dallas-Fort Worth region said.

The incident has caused outrage on social media, with people tweeting to show their support for Mohamed.

more: ‘They thought it was a bomb': Ahmed Mohamed, Texas 9th grader, arrested after bringing a home-built clock to school - The Washington Post

This is where real terrorist began. Being mistreated for the wrong reason.

A science teacher is a science teacher, not an engineer or technician or someone who knows how to build bombs and can distinguish a bomb or clock, especially with those pics showing something that looks far beyond a clock. They followed the policies and rather be safe than sorry. Heck I hear news about schools shutdown because of threats or rumors that a bomb was in a school. I'm glad the kid was let go and was invited to the White House to compensate the mistake. But don't blame the teachers about this.

0916ahmedclock

And Paranoia was born.

Back
Top Bottom