What's new

Musharraf's Interview On CNN From Last Night

He also openly and matter-of-factly said that cross-border attacks from Pakistan were a fact of life and that deals made in both S. and N. Waziristan-however bad (south) or good (north) were made and done so recognizing that there would be defaulters to such.

I didn't agree with him that the N. Waziristan deal was the success which he saw. Not when then RC-East commander Lt. Gen. Eickenberry- now ambassador to Afghanistan saw a 300% increase in cross-border activity along the border. That was not the intent of the deal as I understood Musharraf and hardly notes outliers/defaulters but a carte blanche general offensive along those reaches.

I know that we clearly saw a dramatic surge in taliban operations starting in 2006 in both the south and east of Afghanistan and it hasn't yet abated. As such Musharraf's objectives weren't reflected on the ground any more in the north than they had been with the deal in the south to which he freely admits was a failure. Why the dis-connect in perception of success on his part I'm unsure.

His comments about pashtu inclusiveness to the afghan political process were noted and remain a continuing problem that's only gotten worse with the passing of time. Yet part of that stems from the inability to identify a pashtu leader able to reach across tribal boundaries, create consensus, and is committed to the process of governance as set forth in the constitution.

That sure as heck has never been Omar.

i have to agree with S-2 both the deals that were made in the Waziristan's were not only bad for ISAF but were bad for pakistan. he does have a point about pushtuns slowly be pushed out of power in afghanistan. if abdullah^2 wins that is a problem that will only get worse because he is mainly seen as a tajic not a pushtun even though he has a pushtun father. Karzai himself is not that good when it comes to including pushtuns look at all of his running mates all of them are former Northern alliance commanders and none of them are going to bring afghanistan more stability.
i think one thing that should be underscored is there should be more pushtuns in the ANA. if this is done i think it would be a good step in the right direction but still a very small one at that.

Gen. (r) Musharraf is perhaps the best Ambassador that Paksitan has... The guy is clear in his thought and right to the point... speaking logically and precisely... he is still defending his mother land... Bravo Soldier, Bravo Musharraf... :pakistan:

i have to agree with S-2 both the deals that were made in the Waziristan's were not only bad for ISAF but were bad for pakistan.

Agreed... it IS a fact that those deals lead to increase in attacks and such, but remember, politics in Pakistan REQUIRE that you give peace-deals a chance, even if it means just to show that you made an effort... you do NOT shoot from the hip in your own hometown that you do in other countries (it is called genocide either way)... That is asking for conspiring-politicos to take advantage and cause a seccession movement... Isn't it obvious that Pakistan must show sensitivity towards its OWN people!!!!

In the fiercely independent tribal area, just the mere fact that you walked through a tribal area totting your gun can get you killed and that is the tribal tradition... Its easy to drive an armored platted HUMVEE and shoot anything that moves in a foreign land but in ones own country you have to respect your neighbors if nothing else then at least because you have to live with them, they ARE your countrymen, they are part of you... they ARE you...

Pakistan thinks from its perspective and US thinks from its own, neither wants to see the scum terrorists walking around but Pakistan can NOT allow an amputation on itself just to "wrap it up" quickly... there are too many regional players (most importantly India the actual and perpetual existential threat) to take advantage of a quick fix method... If eradicating the menace of this mutated strain of Talibans was such an easy task then the halliburton-catered force would have taken care of it long time ago...

I hope that good sense prevails, trust among "allies" grow, patience emerges and this menace of terrorism gets crushed b/w the anvil and hammer of ISAF and PA... I know its a tall order but still, no harm in wishing...

^we r missing the point here - imposing "american-style" democracy is not going to work as the "soviet-style" marxism-leninism system failed. until or unless the traditional tribal culture is not restored, this country will remain un-governed,(as its history indicates).

currently reading a very interesting book on the soviet invasion of afghanistan in the 80s with a russian perspective, written by a american author (Gregory Feifer of NPR) who migrated to moscow and was given un-precedented access to soviet archives and key players.

the name of the book is "The Great Gamble" details about the soviet invasion of afghanistan under operation "Storm-333"

more later.....

Last edited:
Simply awsome i liked the last part ..
" Its an expensive hobby and these are expensive toys , Even only their maintenance would cost Billions $ "

Musharraf is popular on the US lecture circuit, but he is the most despised person on the main street Pakistan. He condemned Pakistan into a life of servitude to US and India, and sowed the seeds of internal strife that we are tasting today.

It is sickening to see that he is still a sort of ideologue for the Army, revered by our Generals.

S-2:

“”His comments about pashtu inclusiveness to the afghan political process were noted and remain a continuing problem that's only gotten worse with the passing of time. Yet part of that stems from the inability to identify a pashtu leader able to reach across tribal boundaries, create consensus, and is committed to the process of governance as set forth in the constitution””.

Notion of Pushto inclusiveness finally dawns on every occupying power in Afghanistan. Soviets had their Dr. Najibullah and Americans have their Karzai. By the way Karzai is your best bet, because he is kinda cute.

It is impossible for any consensus leader to emerge with US / NATO still occupying Afghanistan. Just get the hell out of there and things will sort themselves out. Pakistan too will stabilize when you get your dirty hands off.

these are true signs of any patriots who can even defend his country when he is not even in his office......
leaders normally for get their duties as leaders when they are resigned or are dismissed from their office....
but when it comes to patriots a true pakistani like sir syed pervez musharraf not even hesitate to defend his country even after two years of departure from his president's office

"Just get the hell out of there and things will sort themselves out. Pakistan too will stabilize when you get your dirty hands off."

Well...I'd like to do exactly that though sorting out is the last thing that'll happen.

There will be CLARIFICATION, though, and likely further attacks on the west from your region.

THEN the sorting out would begin. Trust me.

Sadly, neither you nor I have the ear of my government to the extent of removing our forces. That said, my guess is you'll see us there and see us in an increasing presence. As our allies bail, it will increase even more.

I understand our government's rationale if I don't fully agree with it. Leaving Afghanistan means surrendering their lives to your brutal ministrations at the hands of your proxies.

The afghans have been there and done that. Virtually all reject the taliban where given the choice and able to be SECURE in making that choice but shabnamah rules the underworld and choosing our path likely means a throat cut in the dark of night by the hands of your murderous minions...until they can be secured from such.

Thanks but no thanks if others have long seen through your petty ambitions. That you can recommend nothing better as a pashtu leader than Karzai says it all about any unifying and dignified presence among the pashtus. Squabbling and small-minded petty souls themselves. Their narrow interests make impossible unity within the pashtu tribes much less reaching to their uzbek, tajik, and hazara brothers for the same.

Zero sum solutions will fail and you're a zero-sum kind of guy.

:rofl:

Oh so tactful as usual.. :agree:

One of the best interviews of Gen Musharraf!!

Problem is that criteria of success is wrong, when it comes to result of the peace deals and military action in the tribal areas. By this I mean, if the deal favours the US then it is successful if it doesn't then it is not successful.

What about Pakistan's interests?

Peace deal in North Waziristan meant renewed contacts with the tribal leadership and siginificant reduction in military activities in North Waziristan, this is beneficial to Pakistan so it is successful.

If Afghanistan and US claim that there was a surge of 300% in Afghanistan then I would suggest them to put on their boots and sit on the Afghan side of the border to catch/ kill those entering from Pakistan.

I would suggest teh US govt and American citizens should watch this interview again, this may help them to understand the Pakistani perspective.

Last edited:
Good interview, quite informative. I liked both the questions asked as well as the fact that Musharraf was allowed to answer them in detail.

I didn't agree with him that the N. Waziristan deal was the success which he saw. Not when then RC-East commander Lt. Gen. Eickenberry- now ambassador to Afghanistan saw a 300% increase in cross-border activity along the border. That was not the intent of the deal as I understood Musharraf and hardly notes outliers/defaulters but a carte blanche general offensive along those reaches.

I know that we clearly saw a dramatic surge in taliban operations starting in 2006 in both the south and east of Afghanistan and it hasn't yet abated. As such Musharraf's objectives weren't reflected on the ground any more in the north than they had been with the deal in the south to which he freely admits was a failure. Why the dis-connect in perception of success on his part I'm unsure.
I believe he meant that the deal was a success from the Pakistani POV. I have little insight into this deal so I won't comment. However, like he said, the three-pronged approach highlighted "military, political and socio-economic" requires that some sort of deals are signed, preferrably from a position of great leverage (as in Swat-Bajaur-Malakand offensive). If I am not mistaken, certain American analysts are urging the US to engage in similar deals with the local Taleban (not saying that they haven't already done so).

His comments about pashtu inclusiveness to the afghan political process were noted and remain a continuing problem that's only gotten worse with the passing of time. Yet part of that stems from the inability to identify a pashtu leader able to reach across tribal boundaries, create consensus, and is committed to the process of governance as set forth in the constitution.
You will have a hard time finding a Pashtun agreeing to American-style governance in Afghanistan, and I speak from what little I know about the Pathan populace. Compromises will have to be made on both sides, probably more so on yours, but as Musharraf said, it may be a necessity. Hence the like "The Pashtuns have been isolated... the US has to be more sensitive to ethnic issues", I don't think you've shown that much yet.

Edit
One more thing, I disagree that Taleban is an existential threat to Pakistan. We've discussed this over and over, worst case scenario, the Taleban can have "control" over the underdeveloped parts of Pakistan, i.e., FATA, some parts of NWFP and Balochistan. Other than that, they may have an "influence" all over Pakistan, but it will remain firmly out of their control. The pattern of thinking is simply different. India is only an existential threat to Pakistan in the case of nuclear war, which is a very remote possibility.

I think Gen. Musharraf either misunderstood the meaning of "existential threat" or may have misheard him.

Last edited:

Arent the solutions imposed by the west failing . Can you call a kabul limited solution a success . Majority of the Pushtoons which were initially not the part of Taliban, have been neglected in the power reighns of the country . Now they are being hijacked by the talibs and all have started a nationalistic movement to through the foreign forces out of their land.
Time will tell which solution will fail . I dough the minority tajiks or uzbeks would stay around for the next 5 or 8 years .

Back
Top Bottom