What's new

Mulayam's call to shun English is a retrograde one

Hafizzz

Reaction score
Mulayam's call to shun English is a retrograde one - Hindustan Times

Recycling is an environment-friendly process and old things, as much as possible, should be recycled. However, it's another thing to recycle old ideas, especially redundant ones. Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav's call to ban the use of English in Parliament should be seen in

this light. Speaking at a function, Mr Yadav said many leaders had a 'double standard' when it came to Hindi, as they asked for votes in Hindi but spoke in English in Parliament.
His suggestion to use one's mother tongue in Parliament is a flawed one and does not work in favour of his avowed intention to promote Hindi.

The mother tongue of more than half of the members of the Lok Sabha is not Hindi and if one were to take heed of his suggestion, there would be more than 20 different languages spoken on the floor of the House. The resultant scene can only be described as pandemonium.

The idea of English as a vestige of our colonial past is an outdated one as the language now belongs to all its speakers, both native and non-native. In multilingual India, English has become the thread that connects various states and cultures.

Many states have suffered because of an aversion towards English - West Bengal is a case in point. India's IT/ITES revolution owes a great deal of its success to the language.

That many political leaders - including Mr Yadav himself - who talk about the need to shun English, send their children to English-medium educational institutions here and abroad exposes their interest in maintaining the social status quo by limiting access to English to the privileged few.

The SP leader's statement also exposes his party's paucity of ideas in this election season. UP has recently been in the news for the wrong reasons, including communal tension, which left many dead and many more living in relief camps.

The healthcare scenario, with a high infant mortality rate, is not impressive either. Rather than focusing on these pressing issues, Mr Yadav has chosen to revive the English language issue.

It's an argument that seems specious as his son Akhilesh Yadav himself holds a degree from an Australian university.

The younger Yadav now must work towards dispelling the impression that his government and party are resorting to retrograde ways to reach out to the people and, instead, steer the state on the path towards development. Shunning English will certainly not help UP do that.

Don't blame them as most living in the "Cow belt" region are monolingual, they only speak Hindi, a hybrid language , remnant of the Mughal legacy

Don't blame them as most living in the "Cow belt" region are monolingual, they only speak Hindi, a hybrid language , remnant of the Mughal legacy

Are you claiming Mughals brought from Mongolia this is called jholachap knowledge of history.

I doubt it is possible to shun English, more than half of India doesn't speak Hindi, without English there will be a major communication problem

I always make my argument based on fact, unlike you.

"Hindi is the official language of India. Over 40% of the population of India speak Hindi, which is equivalent to over 400 million people."
ATLAS - Hindi: Introduction

The figure came from Census of India. Census of India Website : Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India

Unlike Skyrocketing High IQ Chinese who only know Mandarin, we Indians study and speak more than 1 language. I can speak Hindi, English and Telugu.

Unlike Skyrocketing High IQ Chinese who only know Mandarin, we Indians study and speak more than 1 language. I can speak Hindi, English and Telugu.

We are a homogenous people and culture, so we speak one language. India is so diverse, naturally not everyone speaks the same language.

But still 400 million Chinese can't speak Mandarin. It seems introduction of pinyin in school failed to educate all Chinese in Mandarin dialect.

Say what? China says 400 million can't speak national language

400 million = 30%. These are older people who speak dialect, but they still read and write in chinese national language. Dialect is a subset of language. There is only one chinese language.

I'm happy to enlighten you further, but this thread is not about china, don't go off topic.

Back
Top Bottom