What's new

MS Dhoni - The greatest captain India has ever seen ???

Markus

Reaction score
MS Dhoni - The greatest captain India has ever seen ???

Dhoni has done it again.

From T20 World Cup to making India the number one test team.

Now, Dhoni has taken India to its second ODI World Cup victory.

Is MS Dhoni the greatest captain that India has ever seen ???

No Ganguly was more superior , captain along line of Imran Khan

Dhoni is benefiting from decline in form of Australia and Pakistan's 3 player suspension - and lack of cricket to Pakistan, not to mention that Newzeland has lost its top opening players and they are rebuilding , and so is West indies ...

He is good but nothing even close to Ganguly yet

Dhoni is solid iceman like Inzi was and that is special

No Ganguly was more superior , captain along line of Imran Khan

Dhoni is benefiting from decline in form of Australia and Pakistan's 3 player suspension - and lack of cricket to Pakistan, not to mention that Newzeland has lost its top opening players and they are rebuilding , and so is West indies ...

He is good but nothing even close to Ganguly yet

Yes, Ganaguly was very good, infact he was the one under whom Indian team members developed self-belief but that Chappel destroyed everything.

But also, Dhoni has been able to achieve what no other Indian captain has been able to do.

Apart fromT20 and ODI WC victories, the achievement of No. 1 spot in test team was unbelievable for a team like India whose sole focus is always a the shorter form of cricket bccoz thats what is more popular with the Indian masses.

Maybe, if Dhoni succeeds in winning the 2015 WC in Australia, he will become not only India's greatest captain but the greatest one in world cricketing history.

One must also remember there is a over all decline in cricketers being produced, T20 is killing genuine cricket players look at England , Pakistan, Australia , West Indies , there is not not enough quality cricketers being produced

We don't see classy players like Saeed Anwar, Inzi , or Nasser Hussain or Tandulkar or J Suria or Ricky Ponting even I just see cricket suffering over all there is not enough quality being produced I mean look at South Africa , Jack Kallis is still around this is how bad things are... becasue there are no replacements ...

International cricket season should be 7 months for test cricket , 3 months for ODI , 1 MONTH FOR 20/20 and 1 month rest in between

One must also remember there is a over all decline in cricketers being produced, T20 is killing genuine cricket players look at England , Pakistan, Australia , West Indies , there is not not enough quality cricketers being produced

We don't see classy players like Inzi , or Nasser Hussain or Tandulkar even I just see cricket suffering over all there is not enough quality being produced I mean look at South Africa , Jack Kallis is still around this is how bad things are... becasue there are no replacements ...

International cricket season should be 7 months for test cricket , 3 months for ODI , 1 MONTH FOR 20/20 and 1 month rest in between

I do agree on the bold part. But T20 is gonna be the future, believe it or not.

People like short tenure games with high intensity.

Why question mark in tread title? it's obvious isn't it?

As you may have seen in this thread and in other threads, not all agree with the subject line of this thread, hence the question mark.

As you may have seen in this thread and in other threads, not all agree with the subject line of this thread, hence the question mark.
Well, statistics shows MS is greatest captain ever for India. India won 2 worlds cups and No. 1 in test Cricket. One might argue that team mates are all great player, team balance and playing conditions etc. but same (almost) goes with Steve Waugh and ricky Ponting. After all handling great player isn't easy job ! is it??

Well, statistics shows MS is greatest captain ever for India. India won 2 worlds cups and No. 1 in test Cricket. One might argue that team mates are all great player, team balance and playing conditions etc. but same (almost) goes with Steve Waugh and ricky Ponting. After all handling great player isn't easy job ! is it??

The question mark is for others who disagree.

I personally feel he is the greatest ever.

Its not only about statistics but his luck and his charisma is unmatchable.

It is not only about statistics - far from it. There are 2 kinds of captains - tactically brilliant - which Dhoni is and charismatically brilliant - which Ganguly was. When a team is good - you need a tactically brilliant captain to help it realize its potential - make the right field placings, bowling changes, juggling batting order. Dhoni is an excellent captain. But what makes a captain great is taking a team in doldrums and putting steel into it. Changing the system. Ganguly was the first captain who did not let selectors engage in regionalism. If he liked Yuvraj from the North - he picked him; if he liked Balaji from the South he picked him. Also, India had not won anything of note since beating Windies in Windies in the 70s thanks to Gavaskar and some good moments in the 80s. Tendulkar was just not cut for captaincy because he was too apolitical. Azhar and co. were a bunch of match fixers. Ganguly picked guys like Yuvraj, Sehwag, even Dhoni and got Harbhajan to be the bowler that he is. Dhoni is ice - we need him now. We needed fire and brimstone then, not ice and Ganguly provided that. If I were to play a World Cup final - I would want Dhoni to be my captain. If I wanted to reach the World Cup final - I would want Ganguly.

Ganguly was the right man for a time when Indian team was in shamble, in fact he is the one who changed it to Team India from bunch of player playing under a tag. Picked up players from all over the India and believed in their ability, something that Imran did for Pakistan in early 90s. Not at all politically correct and street smart at it's truest sense.

Dhoni is the perfect successor, has nerves made of steel can steer a brilliant team to the victory.

People have habit of saluting the rising sun.
The same DHONI was winning everything when key players were in form, then came time where we started loosing, again when player go out of form. He started winning back again when Yuvraj and Gambhir came back to form. I will give more credit to players then captain.

Best example Ponting, one time he was worlds best captain ever.

People have habit of saluting the rising sun.
The same DHONI was winning everything when key players were in form, then came time where we started loosing, again when player go out of form. He started winning back again when Yuvraj and Gambhir came back to form. I will give more credit to players then captain.

Best example Ponting, one time he was worlds best captain ever.

Ponting is a wrong example. Better example would be Steve Waugh. Just like Allan Border and Mark Taylor built a strong team which Steve Waugh inherited and took to new heights so too did Dhoni inherit a team which was built by the captaincy of Ganguly and the vice-captaincy of Dravid. Maybe next captain (Raina?) could be compared to Ponting. Imagine a time when Raina is captain - obviously Sachin, Laxman, Dravid are gone but so are Yuvraj, Dhoni, Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan. Raina is going to be Ponting's boat one day and Virat Kohli will be Clarke's.

Back
Top Bottom