What's new

Motivations behind selecting the name 'India' in 1947

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had planned to wind up my contributions to this thread and retire gracefully, but was prevented from doing so by certain unfortunate events occurring elsewhere. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to bring an orderly end to my personal contributions to the thread.

Go on, what is your evidence? Also explain why Ptolemy and all the other cartographers of history missed out the Sarasvati and spotted the Indus, did he have bad eyesight perhaps?

Go on, what is your evidence? Also explain why Ptolemy and all the other cartographers of history missed out the Sarasvati and spotted the Indus, did he have bad eyesight perhaps?

You perhaps misunderstand; post 540 was in fact the intended orderly end to my personal contributions. It is surely not of any consequence to add further, since mentioning that the Sarasvati/ Ghaggra/ Hakkra dried up long before a latest date of 1900 BC only elicits from you the incredulous question why Ptolemy and the other cartographers missed out the Sarasvati and spotted the Indus, perhaps due to bad eyesight. Considering that Ptolemy lived between the years 90 and 168 AD, perhaps some 2,000 years after the river-system in question dried up, yes, I agree with you, that is the only possible explanation, he and his colleagues must have suffered from bad eyesight.

This perfectly explains why any further contribution from me will be a waste of your time, since I was manifestly unable to spot even this small but pertinent fact that you did, which illuminates the whole space. This, then, is the right moment to take your leave.

If the Ghaggar-Hakra dried up long before 1900 BC, why would the Rig Vedic poems make mention of an extinct river being larger than the Indus?

What date range do you consider the Rig Veda was composed between?

would 1500-1000 BC be about right?

india's father of nation gandhi was given the choice of either naming the country after himself or ganges river that flows in land whats now called india...since no one knew either him or ganges he decided to name his country after a river that runs in foreign land named Pakistan...thats it..no motivation....just lack of dignity and a practice of copy right infringement

india's father of nation gandhi was given the choice of either naming the country after himself or ganges river that flows in land whats now called india...since no one knew either him or ganges he decided to name his country after a river that runs in foreign land named Pakistan...thats it..no motivation....just lack of dignity and a practice of copy right infringement

are you like this or have you taken up some course?

The name India (भारत) may refer to either the Indian Subcontinent, the contemporary Republic of India or the region of Greater India. The term is derived from the name of the Sindhu (Indus River) and has been in use in Greek since Herodotus (4th century BC). The term appears in Old English in the 9th century, and again in Modern English since the 17th century. The Republic of India has three principal short names, in both official and popular English usage, each of which is historically significant. All originally designated a single entity comprising all the modern nations of the Indian subcontinent. These names are India and Bharat.[1] The first Article of the Constitution of India states that "India, that is Bharat, shall be a union of states." Thus, India and Bharat are equally official short names for the Republic of India, Indians commonly refer to their country as Bharat, India depending on the context and language of conversation.

stealth, why do you flood every thread with off topic quotes?

The "India" the greeks were referring to wasnt called "India", and it was in Pakistan. Look up Alexanders invasion of "India", it didnt even touch modern India.

And this is about the naming of Modern India, you cant possibly use ancient quotes to justify anything here.

Churchill was spot on, but I suppose you only want to quote hinduonnet sources.

“India is merely a geographical expression. It is no more a single country than the Equator.” -Winston Churchill

Churchill ain't no God.
Just because Pakistan came into existence in 1947 doesn' mean the rest of the world also came into existence in 1947. By your logic every country that was colonized came into existence after the colonials left. By that logic Afghanistan hasn't even come into existence. Nor Iraq. Are these countries or Geographical expression? Even Pakistan was created in 1971. Before that it was a geographical expression of West Pakistan and present day Bangaldesh. When did Saudi Arab, Egypt, etc become nations? Or they haven't? What about Pakistan? Is it a country yet? Or are you waiting for some certificate from the British ruler?
Silly man, do you read these kind of things in your textbooks???

Churchill ain't no God.
Just because Pakistan came into existence in 1947 doesn' mean the rest of the world also came into existence in 1947. By your logic every country that was colonized came into existence after the colonials left. By that logic Afghanistan hasn't even come into existence. Nor Iraq. Are these countries or Geographical expression? Even Pakistan was created in 1971. Before that it was a geographical expression of West Pakistan and present day Bangaldesh. When did Saudi Arab, Egypt, etc become nations? Or they haven't? What about Pakistan? Is it a country yet? Or are you waiting for some certificate from the British ruler?
Silly man, do you read these kind of things in your textbooks???

your anger is pretty justified like living on a stolen name....entire hole being named after a river in some foreign land in central asia.....you can still change it....ganges or ghandistan dont sound bad :lol:

My opinion of the recent claims about the Saraswati River is that the fanatics from Hindutva who have quite a big role in the writing of Indian history, have tried to invent a river out of nowhere, in order to try and shift some aspects of the Indus Valley Civilization a little Eastwards.

The outcome won't change, but the idea the Saraswati was a river bigger than the Indus that magically disappeared one day is quite ludicrous.

If the Rig Veda was written around 1200 BC, the Persians would not have been calling the land after the Indus River. They would have called it something like Harasvati-Indu or something.

your anger is pretty justified like living on a stolen name....entire hole being named after a river in some foreign land in central asia.....you can still change it....ganges or ghandistan dont sound bad :lol:

Hey we are fine with India/Bharat/Hindustan. Dont worry. The one with the problem is the one who started this thread. If you have an identity crises why are so desperate that others have it???

i don't understand that why always pakistanis have problem with name of our country as india, indians have no problem with it. pakistan always complain that india has stolen the name from pakistan history as indus river flows in pak from which india is derived. i think to end this debate the best sol. is that pakistan should rename itself as india which they claim belongs to them, india will rename itself to bharat, hindustan or anything else. this will end all problems with word "india" as pakistan will get it's right & indians will be happy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom