What's new

Motivations behind selecting the name 'India' in 1947

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, I do know that there are certain philosophical differences between us; in terms of the older historical paradigms, I belong to the AIT, and you perhaps to the OOI - these are the Aryan Invasion of India and the Out of India theories. The clue I got was your mention of the Saraswati; for reasons that I have not got deeply involved with till now, the existence and direction of flow of the Saraswati is very, very important for the OOI school.

I don't belong to the OOI school or any other. If saraswathi is very important for that school, it still does not tally with the genetic studies presently available. My opinion Sir is my own based on the facts presently known to me & will gladly change it if facts suggest otherwise. Having said that, in my mind ,even if you won't concede the point, the results of the genetic studies contradict many of the erstwhile assumptions made by the AIT school. The argument put by you now i.e. the Aryans were numerically so small that they were absorbed into the main body leaving behind no traces is not something that was widely accepted by AIT school before the genetic studies forced that rethink. My point still stands in as much the AIT as enumerated before has taken a bit of knocking with the genetic results unable to find supporting evidence. The OOI theory was propounded in the 18th century, discarded in the 20th and while it may still be the favourite of some radical group, I certainly don't subscribe to it and it faces the same problems with the genetic studies as the AIT.

btw, I brought in Saraswathi because I was curious to know your opinion on a river which finds mention in all the mandalas of the Rig veda except one(4th).I am not clear on what your opinion is? Is it that it was not a major river/did not exist?

I don't belong to the OOI school or any other. If saraswathi is very important for that school, it still does not tally with the genetic studies presently available. My opinion Sir is my own based on the facts presently known to me & will gladly change it if facts suggest otherwise. Having said that, in my mind ,even if you won't concede the point, the results of the genetic studies contradict many of the erstwhile assumptions made by the AIT school. The argument put by you now i.e. the Aryans were numerically so small that they were absorbed into the main body leaving behind no traces is not something that was widely accepted by AIT school before the genetic studies forced that rethink. My point still stands in as much the AIT as enumerated before has taken a bit of knocking with the genetic results unable to find supporting evidence. The OOI theory was propounded in the 18th century, discarded in the 20th and while it may still be the favourite of some radical group, I certainly don't subscribe to it and it faces the same problems with the genetic studies as the AIT.

btw, I brought in Saraswathi because I was curious to know your opinion on a river which finds mention in all the mandalas of the Rig veda except one(4th).I am not clear on what your opinion is? Is it that it was not a major river/did not exist?

Let me start backwards.

No. The mounting weight of evidence, mainly geological, the increasing support given by satellite photography to the proposed channel of the Hakkra/Ghagra/Saraswati makes it clear that there was a river, and that it might have been a major river in the remote past.

In favour of this is the information that we have about elephants, rhinoceri and large tracts of wooded land in the Indus valley in late Vedic and Puranic times. We also know that the extremely heavy rainfall prevented the breeding of good horses in India from pre-historic times; the theory is that by leaching calcium from the soil, the monsoons made it impossible to grow horses with strong bones. It is significant that the only good (reasonably good) horseflesh is in the dry fastnesses of Kathiawar and of Rajasthan - Kathiawaris and Marwaris. So some part of the Indus Valley was a lush and green valley at one time.

Was it the left bank or the right bank? The right bank is perfectly possible, but in the absence of any significant climatic shift, why should we suspect that it was wet rich jungle? The left bank, on the other hand, is a far more likely candidate. We have tiger forests to the east of the Ghagger's dried-up bed. That is good enough (at the conjectural level).

<More>

Proof of unique geography ..:D

article-1323829-0BC5DFCC000005DC-812_306x536.jpg

<snip>

To be perfectly honest, I have changed my position twice in recent years, once under the impact of the huge wealth of information released from Soviet archaeologists, and others, all under the influence of the incomparable Marija Gimbutas, the second time under the influence of Cavalli-Sforza and his historical geneticism, usually called population geneticism.

Even without such additional information, one's thinking does change after contemplating the situation under discussion and its ramifications, as well as similar parallel situations.

I no longer think that a broad, thick wave of people came into India. Clearly, even earlier, it was a series of spasmodic events. What has made a difference to me is the increasing evidence of our pre-Aryan past, in all the important river valley cultures of south Asia - Brahmaputra, Ganges, Indus, Narmada, Tungabhadra, Krishna, Kaveri. These are borne out by archaeological discoveries and the traces of material culture.

It is also clear that there was a flourishing Kol-Mundari-Dravidian culture which was replaced by the Indo-Aryan synthesis of two cultures. This is borne out by greater understanding of the development of the Dravidian languages, and of the implications of their word-stock; also, the implications of the borrowal of Dravidian root-words and grammatical usages into Indo-Aryan (downstream from Vedic Sanskrit).

There are a number of points on which things look different to me than they would have from the root AIT point of view. That is as it should be. Let us look at this theme further in the next few exchanges, ignoring the unwelcome interruptions of fanboys masquerading as latter-day savants.

Mr Shearer quite bitter aren't you, it has become apparent that you are obsessed, may I suggest you pick up a bucket and spade, and dig for the honour of your country and find some artefacts, that can glorify your bharat. Which will allow you to stick out your chest, and smile from ear to ear.

God Speed. :)

@rafi: why dont you do the same sir. Your bitterness is quite clear.

@rafi: why dont you do the same sir. Your bitterness is quite clear.

Not only bitterness but a complete lack of any knowledge about the subject being discussed. Ah, wait, he does know of a nice paint job and picture on currency note! :lol:

Ok please don't abuse me for this! :-/

Not only bitterness but a complete lack of any knowledge about the subject being discussed. Ah, wait, he does know of a nice paint job and picture on currency note! :lol:

Ok please don't abuse me for this! :-/

Not into abusing my friend, it is rather strange - is it not, that indians are on a Pakistani forum, trying to teach big, bad, Pakistanis about their country and its origins.

Seems clear to me - who is obsessed with who. And regarding bharat most Pakistanis couldn't care less. And we don't join indian forum, figures :azn:

Not into abusing my friend, it is rather strange - is it not, that indians are on a Pakistani forum, trying to teach big, bad, Pakistanis about their country and its origins.

I think the thread say "Motivations behind selecting the name 'India' in 1947", so it's more like Pakistanis trying to teach us our origin and history! ;)

Seems clear to me - who is obsessed with who. And regarding bharat most Pakistanis couldn't care less. And we don't join indian forum, figures :azn:

Lol, this forum having an Indian Defence section(which is always having most hits) and Indian Military Pictures being one of the most viewed thread doesn't make Pakistanis obsessed with India, does it? ;)

Anyway, it's not your forum, according to management it's an international forum which focuses on Pakistan. ;)

I think you're familiar with other Pakistani Forums in their true sense, aren't you? ;)

I think the thread say "Motivations behind selecting the name 'India' in 1947", so it's more like Pakistanis trying to teach us our origin and history! ;)

Lol, this forum having an Indian Defence section(which is always having most hits) and Indian Military Pictures being one of the most viewed thread doesn't make Pakistanis obsessed with India, does it? ;)

Anyway, it's not your forum, according to management it's an international forum which focuses on Pakistan. ;)

I think you're familiar with other Pakistani Forums in their true sense, aren't you? ;)

Verbal gymnastics here, jolly good show, :azn: you have just proved your obsession, this is a Pakistani forum - just look at the banners, or put your glass on.

The amount of indians using multiple id's and that keep coming back for more, prove my contention - that it indians obsessed with Pakistan.:bunny::pakistan:

Will indians please finally start to develop some self-respect, and leave Pakistanis alone.

But about the dates, very briefly, and without prejudice, meaning I am representing the commonly held view for your ready reminder in a separate note (I will try and see if a table formed in Word can be fitted into this format).

Indo-Iranian tribes in Central Asia: 2500 BC to 2000 BC
Iranian tribes move westward: 2000 to 1700 BC
Composition of the Avesta: 1700 BC to 1300 BC
Indian tribes move eastward: 2000 to 1700 BC
Last dates of viable IVC settlements, latest: 1300 BC
Composition of the Rg Veda and three other Vedas*: 1700 BC to 1000 BC
Composition of the Mahabharata*: 800 BC to 800 AD

* Both contain evidence of earlier events and activities, in places other than their place of final composition.

You must consider that in the Mahabharata itself, a Scythian King, the Lord of the Parama Kamboja, is general for Duryodhana and the Kaurava Army after the death of Shalya. Connections between the tribes that drifted apart lasted much longer than these dates indicate, and there were links with east Iranian tribes such as the Parama Kamboja which were remembered as late as the 8th century BC. The split of the tribes happened around 1700 BC give or take a century, and was in any case a gradual process; nobody got up one morning, declared,"Right, today onwards we are Iranian," and marched off west to their manifest destiny. So there is a relationship which lasted into subsequent centuries, and was remembered nearly 900 years later.

Is it possible that likewise, the Saraswati was remembered years later, in the Mahabharata in 800 BC, while being first mentioned in the Rg Veda between 1700 to 1000? Would you be comfortable with its probable final stages being, say, towards the end of the Rg Vedic period, 1000 BC, and a couple of hundred years before the Mahabharata? That would more or less coincide with 1300 BC, the final years of the IVC.

My main point was the genetic evidence which throws up all of this large scale movement into India as being suspect.(something you agree with) The points you make about the Parama Kamboja fit the earlier opinions of the AIT than they do your newer idea of them having been absorbed. The evidence here would suggest that the tribes have maintained contact for atleast a 1000 years which would then bring to question their absorption into existing populations. Further with caste having established itself firmly by the time of the Mahabharata, it is probably unlikely that the intermingling happened at a later date. Even mentions of the Buddha's reference to the Aryan "Sakhya" clan seem to suggest an holding on to the ancient tribal identity. So when did all this mixing take place & why don't the supposedly numerically larger local population find mention? This is where I have a problem with your theory. Either the Aryans tribes were numerically large in number at the time of the Mahabharata(a good 1000 years from the earlier date of their arrival) in which case why is it that it does not show up in the genetic studies or they were completely absorbed in the local population to the point of completely losing their genetic identity as you suggest which brings us to a different problem of how they maintained contacts with ancient Iranian tribes which should by then have little in common with them.

My question about the Saraswathi is more simple & straightforward. Why are the Iranians less aware of the Saraswathi which at the time of the Rig Veda would have been the most important river for those on the Indian side( at a time when the two populations would have just started to separate) and more aware of the Indus which would attain its status only after the demise of the Saraswathi & the change in course of the Sutlej?

Deleted duplicate message.

Last edited:
Let us take a walk through these points. I believe that there is a consistency which will stand forth.

My main point was the genetic evidence which throws up all of this large scale movement into India as being suspect.(something you agree with)

Oh, absolutely. Or rather, it is the other way around, in a manner of looking.

We can either find consistency between the genetic evidence and a proposition that there was movement of allied tribes in the period 2000 BC to 1000 BC (keeping the period as large as possible to include both the earliest and the latest possible dates) by saying that the tribes were small in total numbers, and did not make any genetic impact on a moderate-sized, or even small-sized autochthonous population, or the opposite, by saying that even fair-sized tribes made no impact on what was already a very significant sized population. We have discussed the first possibility; what about the second?

Consider that there were Neolithic settlements right through south Asia. Consider that the level of technology was surprisingly high; taking one example, look at the record for Wootz steel, the original model for both the Japanese samurai and the 'damascened' swords of Spain (from the western mistake that damascened referred to Damascus from where sword-making technology moved to al'Andalus, rather than associating it with 'damas', water); consider that the Tamizh were well-advanced in water-management, good enough to support large populations even in ancient times; consider that Tamizh 'classical' literature from its literary high noon periods dated back to the 3rd century BC. Consider that the people of the east appear in their organised form very, very quickly in history, in fact with the Mahajanapadas coming in rapidly into the political arena, as early as the first five hundred years of the last millennium BC.

All we have to consider, in fact, is an immigrant population so small that it had no apparent impact on the genetic map of the entire sub-continent, and so large that it kept up relations with their old neighbours, the Indo-Iranian tribes, for some considerable period.

This is not imaginatively difficult to visualise.

The points you make about the Parama Kamboja fit the earlier opinions of the AIT than they do your newer idea of them having been absorbed. The evidence here would suggest that the tribes have maintained contact for atleast a 1000 years which would then bring to question their absorption into existing populations.

Why do you say so? The Parama Kamboja were a tribe listed in the Mahabharata as having taken part in the great war. This dates them as having been intact long enough to be recorded in a bardic work sometime between the 5th century and the 8th century BC. Where did I say that they were absorbed?

I think I understand what the problem is.

When I was speaking about the absorption of other steppe people into the original Indo-Iranians, that did not mean the extinction of tribes. These absorptions, more to the point, were focused by tribes, individually. It was vertical absorptions, and not horizontal ones, which would have completely absorbed all the tribes at all times . They continued to be ruled by their kings, speak their language, and do everything that a tribe should do. Even till late, as Herodotus and other contemporary authors noted, they led a remote, steppe-like existence.

[Added at 6:45 am]

I am taking into account your 11:14 comment.

There is some complicated syntax. In your original comment, it appears that there is some mention both of the Parama Kamboja and of the Indian tribes. In neither case is it necessary to visualise a tribe, whether the diverging Parama Kamboja or the hypothetical Indian tribe, losing its coherence as a tribe merely because it was absorbing members of the conquered population at large.

It is surely not necessary for this to be so. A tribe might absorb very large numbers of non-tribal members, mostly as slaves, a few as freeman artisans, without giving up its identity.

Coming to your specific argument in §525, that there is inconsistency between the contact required for a mention in the Mahabharata and in the concept of the Aryans being absorbed into the general population and thus losing touch with the tribes left behind in the north-west.

It is not necessary for this to happen. Neither Aryan tribe nor Iranian tribe had to lose its identity merely because larger numbers of non-tribals joined it. The Aryans absorbed conquered Dasas, Dasyus and the Panis as Shudras; the Iranians absorbed conquered people too, as well as those who joined voluntarily. We see that happening in other tribes: the Alans, for instance, or the Pecheneg, in much later phases of history.

Further with caste having established itself firmly by the time of the Mahabharata, it is probably unlikely that the intermingling happened at a later date.

Later, please, as Morpheus beckons.I will answer these questions as soon as I can.

[7:20 am] Yes, I agree that it is unlikely that the intermingling happened at a later date, but because a later intermingling would distance the period of contacts in the north-east and the recitation and formalising of the epics by too much.

Even mentions of the Buddha's reference to the Aryan "Sakhya" clan seem to suggest an holding on to the ancient tribal identity.

Indeed it might, although the Sakya are not mentioned earlier.

Two points: Arya, to the Aryans, new and old, meant 'noble one', and did not signify race. Of course, in India, during the period of expansion, as the numbers of captive people grew, Arya increasingly came to refer to some of the social leadership who might have held themselves out of the commons. One has a well-documented example of this happening in Roman tribes: a top layer, the Patricians, holding itself superior to the others, the Plebeans.

So when did all this mixing take place & why don't the supposedly numerically larger local population find mention?

The mixing must have taken place right from the inception of contact through conquest or conference. Only it might have had accelerated throughout. The larger local population found mention right through the Vedas, as Dasas, Dasyus and Panis.

This is where I have a problem with your theory.

More.

Either the Aryans tribes were numerically large in number at the time of the Mahabharata(a good 1000 years from the earlier date of their arrival) in which case why is it that it does not show up in the genetic studies or they were completely absorbed in the local population to the point of completely losing their genetic identity as you suggest which brings us to a different problem of how they maintained contacts with ancient Iranian tribes which should by then have little in common with them.

My question about the Saraswathi is more simple & straightforward. Why are the Iranians less aware of the Saraswathi which at the time of the Rig Veda would have been the most important river for those on the Indian side( at a time when the two populations would have just started to separate) and more aware of the Indus which would attain its status only after the demise of the Saraswathi & the change in course of the Sutlej?

I will fill this later, as duty calls.

Last edited:
Why do you say so? The Parama Kamboja were a tribe listed in the Mahabharata as having taken part in the great war. This dates them as having been intact long enough to be recorded in a bardic work sometime between the 5th century and the 8th century BC. Where did I say that they were absorbed?

You misunderstand. I meant that if the Iranian tribe(Parama Kamboja) took part in the Mahabharata war, there must have been close contacts with the different tribes a 1000 years after they separated. That would suggest a non absorbed society on the Indian side at that comparatively late date in their history since any dilution would probably have resulted in loosening of the bonds between the tribes of Iran & India.. I was not talking about the Parama Kamboja being absorbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom