What's new

More than 50000 dead, many trapped as major earthquake strikes Turkiye, Syria,..,.

At least 43,885 people have died across Turkey and neighboring Syria

CNN

At least 43,885 people have died across Turkey and neighboring Syria following the powerful 7.8 magnitude quake, according to authorities. Efforts to retrieve survivors have been hampered by a cold winter spell across quake-stricken regions, while authorities grapple with the logistical challenges of transporting aid into northwestern Syria amid an acute humanitarian crisis compounded by years of political strife.

Amid recriminations in Turkey over the scale of damage, at least 54 people have been arrested in the country in connection with buildings that were destroyed or damaged from the earthquake, according to Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ on Thursday.

Earlier Thursday, the UN Secretary-General António Guterres announced an appeal for $1 billion in aid towards earthquake relief efforts in Turkey over the course of three months. It came two days after the UN launched a flash appeal for $397 million in earthquake aid for Syria, also covering a three-month period as humanitarian bodies stress the need for psychological and mental health services in the affected regions.

It’s pure negligence on govt part to allow such buildings to be built in earthquake prone areas

Also turkey having experienced Many ki earthquakes should have thousands of volunteer teams with heavy & light machinery along with sniffer dogs on standby

If for say 7000 building collapsed that would mean 35,000-70,000 volunteers needed
There are more than 250 thousand rescue personnel, army, police, etc active in the area but the affected area is too large. We’re talking about 11 cities and 13 million people. 11 thousand buildings collapsed.

Last edited:
The "construction amnesties" in Kahramanmaras in 2019
By 'construction amnesty' they mean let the unsafe buildings stand and be occupied by people? Did the people know they are living in unsafe buildings that will fall at the first peck of a woodpecker?

By 'construction amnesty' they mean let the unsafe buildings stand and be occupied by people? Did the people know they are living in unsafe buildings that will fall at the first peck of a woodpecker?

Not like that. Some "bipedal coyotes" are building illegal houses on no-construction lands with the expectation that "it will become legal somehow in the future". Or, for example, it illegally builds an additional floor for buildings that should legally have 5 floors.

Governments stuck with money sometimes legalize these houses at a certain price. This practice is called "construction amnesty".

Since these structures are built illegally, they cannot receive quality engineering services. They are also the first to be destroyed in earthquakes.

Since the governments, which are responsible for enforcing the laws, forgave those who violate the zoning laws unlawfully, the habit of breaking the zoning laws has formed in the society.

We are dealing with a typical third world country mindset. Earthquakes bloodily punish this sick mindset.

Not like that. Some "bipedal coyotes" are building illegal houses on no-construction lands with the expectation that "it will become legal somehow in the future". Or, for example, it illegally builds an additional floor for buildings that should legally have 5 floors.

Governments stuck with money sometimes legalize these houses at a certain price. This practice is called "construction amnesty".

Since these structures are built illegally, they cannot receive quality engineering services. They are also the first to be destroyed in earthquakes.

Since the governments, which are responsible for enforcing the laws, forgave those who violate the zoning laws unlawfully, the habit of breaking the zoning laws has formed in the society.

We are dealing with a typical third world country mindset. Earthquakes bloodily punish this sick mindset.
But what is not clear to me is, if the illegalities refer to regulations like zoning, which are town planning issues or engineering shortcomings where unsafe structures (per building code) are permitted. The first one is more of a cosmetic issue while the latter is definitely a criminal act since people will likely die. I am guessing every Turkish person knows they are living on one of the most active seismic zones. Like we folks in California.

Some Indonesian team in Turkey

105 medical personnel

Initial development of emergency hospital to be built in this town

Indonesian Hercules is still operating inside Turkey, helping the logistic need.

Last edited:
2 Indonesian nationals died in Turkey, mother and her son. Her husband, Turkish national, is also dead.

maxresdefault.jpg

I am guessing every Turkish person knows they are living on one of the most active seismic zones. Like we folks in California.
Unlike Californians, we Turks have only just begun to realize the seriousness of the situation. With the last earthquake I was able to learn that earthquakes in Turkiye are not only not frequent, but they can also be very destructive because they occur close to the surface!

If even I have only just figured it out, think of the rest of the ignorant folk. Now we look at the huge building stock that is not resistant to earthquakes in Istanbul and we are horrified.

Unlike Californians, we Turks have only just begun to realize the seriousness of the situation. With the last earthquake I was able to learn that earthquakes in Turkiye are not only not frequent, but they can also be very destructive because they occur close to the surface!

If even I have only just figured it out, think of the rest of the ignorant folk. Now we look at the huge building stock that is not resistant to earthquakes in Istanbul and we are horrified.
That is surprising, because I have watched earthquakes in Turkey and Iran from my younger days on TV. 1999 İzmit earthquake is quite recent with 17,127 deaths.
1939 Erzincan earthquake is a bit old, but many people should have family memories of that since it killed 32,700 people.

It's exactly what @merzifonlu said. And apparently,the AKP government issued such amnesties 6 times. It's all in that video I posted earlier,but unfortunately it's in Turkish with greek subtitles. They even have a propaganda spot about it,trying to show that the government cares for the citizens.

Meanwhile,there's a city called Erzin. It's in the Hatay province. Not even 1 building collapsed there and not even 1 person died because of the earthquake. Apparently the mayor refused to let any illegalities and poor quality designs.

got some big earthquakes lately.

Sichuan Earthquake
Indian ocean earthquake
Haiti earthquake

Will death toll end up like above?

In the old time, Indonesian made houses from wood. So Earthquake is not really a problem for people living in old time.

fungsi-rumah-panggung.jpg

shutterstock_1630621864_1644043399.jpg

Back
Top Bottom