What's new

Moody: India’s GDP crossed $3.5 trillion mark in 2022

American service sector is contributing over three fourth of its GDP.

Indians are better placed in this sector and will survive.
Yes, but we are not a developed economy. Service sector dependence is OK, when you are a developed economy. Also USA can switch on its manufacturing on whim if it need be. They just outsourced manufacturing to save more money, if manufacturing becomes important for their national security, they can easily do it, just like they are currently doing it for Semiconductor. But we can't, we don't have a robust industrial base, which we must have for we are a country of 1.4 billion people

Yes, but we are not a developed economy. Service sector dependence is OK, when you are a developed economy. Also USA can switch on its manufacturing on whim if it need be. They just outsourced manufacturing to save more money, if manufacturing becomes important for their national security, they can easily do it, just like they are currently doing it for Semiconductor. But we can't, we don't have a robust industrial base, which we must have for we are a country of 1.4 billion people
We can have organic farming, Pharma and medics, Space and telecommunication, Tourism, high-end manufacturing and Software. Rest we can outsource to Vietnam and Bangladesh

We can have organic farming, Pharma and medics, Space and telecommunication, Tourism, high-end manufacturing and Software. Rest we can outsource to Vietnam and Bangladesh
Our PCI is $2500, on par with Bangladesh and way behind Vietnam at $4000, People forget how poor as a country we are. Outside of Sub Saharan Africa, India along with its neighbors are the most poor countries in the world.

Only depending on export developing model is sustainable. No export means the development ceiling will be very low and the quality of the development is very low. India will soon hit its development ceiling if it keeps huge trade deficit.

Simply becaue India exported Russian oil bought by Rupees. Which is not sustainable.
true.. but india should focus on productivity and services and not just like East Asian model of mfr exports. For that improving HDI is critical and will take time but more long lasting and sustainable.

Top surplus countries

微信图片_20230520103725.png

Top deficit countries

微信图片_20230520104003.png

Do these numbers include services ? @beijingwalker

I think in 2024 bjp will lose and the hyenas will tear up all the good work done in the last 10 years .

Thats true, China really converted all young population into viable work force real quick and reaped huge economic gains. India is very slow, democracy is the real culprit here. but , anyways, things are improving very fast now. we are targeting 5 trillion by 2025-2026 and towards 10 trillion by 2030ish . Time to learn from rivals :)
no.Democracy is not the main culprit hindering India's progress (this is an excuse from the Indian government). Corruption, inaction, and bureaucracy in India are the key factors.
we should not become like China. we should develop in our own way. This is not a race. India has to grow steadily and sustainably.
Why do Indians think they are 'sustainable development'?

Uh never. That’s how they line their pockets. The red tapes plays a part in stifling progress and slows things down. We have the democrats do this here. The republicans are much for ease of business.

I have been trying to start a small factory in my home state since last 1.5 years. Initial 6 months were wasted trying to get a leased plot from the state industrial development corporation (the cost of which was exorbitant anyway). No success there.

Then I decided to start the factory in a small plot of our ancestorial land. However, getting the land papers ready (batwara, boundary demarcation and conversion from agricultural land to other category) had now taken more than a year and I don't foresee it to be completed in next 6-10 months. Without the land papers in order, I cannot approach any financial institutions.

God only knows after that what more red-tapism awaits (industrial license, boiler inspector license, pollution control board, gst etc.)..

All these "Ease of doing business" parameters are only valid for big industrialist.. For SMEs like mine, these are all bullshit. At this rate, by the time I will be able to construct the factory, I will already have a few big houses starting the same business and it will be quite difficult to compete with them, unless I make a brand name for me by then.

You see the picture for SMEs??

That's another story. In addition to above, me and another 19 engineering batchmates of mine had been trying to start a cooperative style organic farming cum food processing for over a year now. Same story. The land papers are still not ready in a year and nor will it be for another year perhaps.. We all are well settled with well paid jobs (some with their own engineering & livestock companies), who wants to retire early (we are all plus minus 50 years olds) and concentrate on this retirement project. We believe that this will not only be a retirement project, but also be a medium to give back to the society (specially the agricultural sector, of which majority of our citizens are dependent of) by way of introducing high tech farming of high value crops (Israel style) and encouraging & promoting the other farmers to replicate the same.

But Alas!!!

Last edited:
no.Democracy is not the main culprit hindering India's progress (this is an excuse from the Indian government). Corruption, inaction, and bureaucracy in India are the key factors.
Dis I say so

Our PCI is $2500, on par with Bangladesh and way behind Vietnam at $4000, People forget how poor as a country we are. Outside of Sub Saharan Africa, India along with its neighbors are the most poor countries in the world.
India has currently 170 billionaires according to Forbes while our neighbors have none (of course excluding developed China). So, there is a chance that India might be better off than its neighbors.

Do post some pictures of Infrastructure from Sub Sahara region to make a fair comparison with India.

India has currently 170 billionaires according to Forbes while our neighbors have none (of course excluding developed China). So, there is a chance that India might be better off than its neighbors.

Do post some pictures of Infrastructure from Sub Sahara region to make a fair comparison with India.

billionaires are a function of winners take all economy

This is not a good thing. It means a terrible wealth gap.

American service sector is contributing over three fourth of its GDP.

Indians are better placed in this sector and will survive.
The USA has dollars, and they can only develop the service industry and then export dollars to the world through a deficit. What does India have?

The constraints on India's development are the systems of the colonial era that they still retain. The purpose of the colonial system was to encourage corruption, bribe the elites of the colonies through corruption, assist the colonizers in plundering ordinary people and transporting wealth and talent to the suzerain.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom