What's new

Modi govt moves with Arunachal Frontier Highway, among India’s ‘toughest’ projects yet, China in mind

During hostilities, let’s say. China was to capture a section of this road wouldn’t it cut off your most important corridor of transporting!!

During hostilities, let’s say. China was to capture a section of this road wouldn’t it cut off your most important corridor of transporting!!

Indian policy makers are not anticipating any war with China in foreseeable future. Janta ko waesay he Chutiya banaatay rehtay haen.

Indian policy makers are not anticipating any war with China in foreseeable future. Janta ko waesay he Chutiya banaatay rehtay haen.

Paajee, respectfully, you are not correct on this one. India's enemy No. 1 is China and has been for some time. The thinking in the 60s, rightly or wrongly, of keeping front areas undeveloped to slow down Chinese ingress does not hold true now in this modern age of war. Equipment and tactics have both evolved. There will be deep ingress into Tibet via multiple axes. China knows it. Their supply lines will never hold.

The Ukraine war has recently been demonstrating the military art of drawing in the enemy by ceding ground to create kill cauldrons. It is not a new tactic. But very effective. And armies continue to fall into that trap.

With that logic, no country should construct a road in it’s border regions.
Does that answer your doubt?

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Fact that China is building infra on its side proves that.

Last edited:
Paajee, respectfully, you are not correct on this one. India's enemy No. 1 is China and has been for some time.

Sir Jee: You are right that China and India are enemy of each other, so to speak. But, it is not necessary for the enemies to essentially go into a war. This is true since immemorial times. There are many restraining and inhibiting factors, which come into play. It is generally not whimsical, particularly, between powerful countries like China and India. It is not a joke, and the policy makers of both the countries are cognizant of that.

In any case, it is a matter of opinion and perspective, on which we may differ. I derive mine ones, based upon the historical analysis of China-India relations, since 1949, including, but not limited to, 1962-War and recent Galwan-Clash. In the light of these, I am of the firm opinion that possibility of a major war between China and India is extremely remote, rather almost absent. Small manageable skirmishes may happen, time to time, till some boundary agreement is reached.

The thinking in the 60s, rightly or wrongly, of keeping front areas undeveloped to slow down Chinese ingress does not hold true now in this modern age of war.

I, being a Punjabi, was doing some light "tuchkar-bazi" :lol:; otherwise, obviously, there can be no objection on development of border infrastructure for defense, or for other sociopolitical purposes, and Indian actions are proper.

I have a different take. For example, to me, upgrading of Darbuk-Shyok-Daulat-Beg-Oldi (DBO) Road, in Ladakh Sector, is rather a proof that India is not anticipating any major action from China. Otherwise, in my opinion, it is a very dangerous venture, from defense point of view.

Equipment and tactics have both evolved. There will be deep ingress into Tibet via multiple axes. China knows it. Their supply lines will never hold.

I don't agree with you on this, but, as I said, according to my theory, this will not be tested, in all probability. It is all conjectural and hypothetical.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Fact that China is building infra on its side proves that.

Sir Jee: I am not objecting to development of border infrastructure by India. My take is different.

Sir Jee: You are right that China and India are enemy of each other, so to speak. But, it is not necessary for the enemies to essentially go into a war. This is true since immemorial times. There are many restraining and inhibiting factors, which come into play. It is generally not whimsical, particularly, between powerful countries like China and India. It is not a joke, and the policy makers of both the countries are cognizant of that.

In any case, it is a matter of opinion and perspective, on which we may differ. I derive mine ones, based upon the historical analysis of China-India relations, since 1949, including, but not limited to, 1962-War and recent Galwan-Clash. In the light of these, I am of the firm opinion that possibility of a major war between China and India is extremely remote, rather almost absent. Small manageable skirmishes may happen, time to time, till some boundary agreement is reached.

I, being a Punjabi, was doing some light "tuchkar-bazi" :lol:; otherwise, obviously, there can be no objection on development of border infrastructure for defense, or for other sociopolitical purposes, and Indian actions are proper.

I have a different take. For example, to me, upgrading of Darbuk-Shyok-Daulat-Beg-Oldi (DBO) Road, in Ladakh Sector, is rather a proof that India is not anticipating any major action from China. Otherwise, in my opinion, it is a very dangerous venture, from defense point of view.

I don't agree with you on this, but, as I said, according to my theory, this will not be tested, in all probability. It is all conjectural and hypothetical.

Sir Jee: I am not objecting to development of border infrastructure by India. My take is different.

Paajee Tibet was is and will forever be a huge buffer region between China and India. Ukraine war has demonstrated what is held today can be lost tomorrow and vice versa. Time is the biggest leveller.

Things move quickly in war. Then freeze for 40-50-60 years.

Last edited:
Paajee Tibet was is and will forever be a huge buffer region between China and India. Ukraine war has demonstrated what is held today can be lost tomorrow and vice versa. Time is the biggest leveller.

Sir Jee: I don't think that China and India need any buffer in-between. Their conflict is over-exaggerated, because of certain geopolitical circumstances and alignments. In my opinion China and India don't have any "real" territorial dispute. Counterpoise of erstwhile "NEFA" and Aksai Chin is working quite effectively and aptly.

You see, I am narrating, what, in my opinion, is the real view of Indian policy-makers, irrespective of their public expressions. This may not rhyme well with the opinion of the common Indian public.

Not true. The arunachal frontier highway will be the third highway that will go parallel to Mcmahon line. Trans arunachal highway and Eat west industrial corridor highway will will be parallel to Arunachal frontier highway at depth and will be connected to trans arunachal highway every few hundred kilometres. So cutting trans arunachal highway in one or two places won't stop traffic in any way. So there will be 3 highways running parallel to Mcmahon line in Arunachal and one in Assam(NH 15) further south, all interconnected

168271848_2836372390013401_346078035929970241_n.jpg

We can have a little more of it. Too much of seriousness here.
Actually, any infrastructure in these regions would do good for the entire region. Not militarily but economically too.
Chances of a full fledged conflict with China are remote but Galwan like action can take place anytime.
It’s a good idea to make the roads and hope that they wouldn’t be required for military purposes. If they do, then, it would be paisa wasool.

Looks expensive system. How much it cost per launch? And how many missiles are launched for per interception?

Chinese mass produced guided rockets are cheap. Maybe even cheaper than indian rockets...
You're right. This is no cure to massed rocket artillery. Systems like MRSAM are meant to shoot down cruise missiles, fighters , terminaly guided munitions, etc .
The best we can do to somehow reduce the impact of massed rocket artillery is deployment of CIWS, or anti aircraft guns assisted by modern fire control systems along with extremely precise surveillance of launch sites

India has heavily upgraded it's L70 guns For that role

India has ramped up strategic infra along China border: EAM
IMG-20230205-WA0006.jpg

With tension still persisting along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China, India has ramped up its infrastructure development in the border areas for obvious “strategic reasons”, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said here on Wednesday.

His observations came in the backdrop of tension in Eastern Ladakh since May 2020 and China’s attempt to alter the LAC in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh, in December last year.

The Minister told a group of reporters that the work on the strategically important Chushul-Dungti-Fukche-Demchok road, spanning 135 kilometre in the Ladakh region, began last month.

Jaishankar pointed out that 16 key passes required to maintain troops along the border with China have been opened in a record time and much ahead of the previous years, resulting in the saving of enormous funds in terms of the air sustenance of cut-off areas.

Some of the mountain passes along the border areas in Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Ladakh have to be closed during the harsh winter months due to heavy snowfall.

Giving an account of the Government’s priorities, Jaishankar said the length of 6,806 kilometre of roads constructed along the borders with China from 2014 to 2022 was almost double the length of 3,610 kilometre built between 2008 and 2014.

In case of construction of bridges along the border with China, he said the total length was 7,270 metres from 2008 to 2014, while it went up to 22,439 metres during the period between 2014 and 2022.

“Sixteen key passes, which are required to maintain the troops on the China border, have opened in a record time, much ahead of the previous years, thus saving enormous funds in terms of air sustenance of cut-off areas, apart from immense economic and strategic advantages,” Jaishankar said.

Citing an example, he said the traffic on the crucial Zojila axis was extended till January 4 last year and it was opened again on March 19, setting an all-time record of the pass being opened in just 73 days against the traditional norms of four-five months.

“We have focused on a rapid development of infrastructure along the northern borders with China for obvious strategic reasons,” Jaishankar said.

“We have focused on rapidly developing border connectivity with our friendly neighbours to enhance trade, energy and other people-to-people exchanges,” he added.

The External Affairs Minister said the construction of the Sela tunnel on the Balipara-Charduar-Tawang road, located at a height of 13,700 feet, will offer all-weather connectivity to the Indian Army to the LAC near Tawang.

It consists of two tunnels -- one 1,790 metres long, another 475 metres long. The construction of the tunnel is expected to be completed by August. Once completed, it will be the world’s longest bi-lane tunnel located at a height of more than 13,000 feet.

The External Affairs Minister also spoke about the adoption of new technologies for the construction of infrastructure in high-altitude and inaccessible border areas.
20230209_015034.jpg

He specifically referred to indigenous modular bridges of load class-70 and the use of a special non-frost susceptible sub-base (NFSSB) layer for road projects in Ladakh.

The External Affairs Minister also highlighted various connectivity projects with neighbouring countries, including Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan.

Things move quickly in war. Then freeze for 40-50-60 years.
Tibet is China, fool, period.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom