What's new

MoD approves 9 medium range maritime patrol aircraft by for navy, RFPs to b

Bl[i]tZ

Reaction score
The Defense Acquisitions Council of the Ministry of Defense has accepted the necessity for procuring nine Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) aircraft for the Indian Navy. The Acceptance of Necessity (AON) this week came after the evaluation of data provided by vendors in response to the Request for Information (RFI) issued almost exactly a year back.

Interestingly, while earlier the perceived requirement was for six aircraft, this has now been upped by three, with an option for additional aircraft, the number of which is yet to be carved in stone.

The RFI had been sent to aircraft manufacturers that included Saab, Boeing, Airbus, ATR, Casa, Embraer, Bombardier, Dassault and Lockheed Martin. It is understood that the navy has taken a decision on the aircraft manufacturers to be issued the Request for Proposal (RFP) and be invited to bid.

The value of the order is estimated to be in the range of USD 1 billion.

Aircraft Manufacturers and Makes

Boeing: Boeing P-8 (Turbofan)

Indian-Navys-Boeing-P-8I-Aircraft.jpg

Airbus: Airbus A-319 (Turbofan)

MM62209.jpg

Embraer: 145 MP (Turbofan)

r99a_03.jpg

Dassault: Falcon 900 MPA (Turbofan)

AIR_Falcon_900DX_Over_Shoreline_lg.jpg

Saab: Saab 2000 (Turboprop)

saab-2000-erieye.jpg

ATR: ATR 72 (Turboprop)

AIR_ATR-72_ASW_Concept_lg.jpg

Bombardier: Q400 (Turboprop)

11961794.jpg

Casa: C-295 (Turboprop)

casa-c-295.jpg

Lockheed Martin: C-130 [Interestingly, the RFI had required the aircraft to be a twin engine aircraft. The four turboprop engines of the Hercules may be considered to merely exceed requirements. And the same goes for the Dassault Falcon's three engines.]

India approves 9 maritime patrol aircraft buy | StratPost

yes it is . the P8 is a long range Reconnaissance a/c . this is a medium range one. i wonder if the diet P8 will be a part of this tender.:)
Thanks man missed the medium part
Lets see if they give p3's too with heavy upgrades

yes it is . the P8 is a long range Reconnaissance a/c . this is a medium range one. i wonder if the diet P8 will be a part of this tender.:)

8 P-8I cost us around $2.1 billion, so if we were to buy 9 that wouldn't be 2.5 times of $1 billion.

Cost of Airbus for IAF refueler tanker was estimated at $150 million a piece. (this will be around 1.5 time os $1 billion)

Plus there operational cost will be high. Its a medium patrol aircraft so I don't understand why would we buy long range patrol aircraft for these.

And puhleeze no more contracts to French.

No, as stated LM's offer would be C-130 MPA. And anwyay the P-8 (even diet version) is FAR more advanced than the P-3 in every way especially key things like radar and avionics. It is also a much newer platform with newer technology.

Is it an different tender from p8

Yes, absolutely. The P-8I deal is completely separate, this is part of the IN's LRMP (LONG RANGE) requirement which was signed back in 2008 with first flight having already taken place an deliveries starting next year with an option for more a/c that is likely to be taken up. Whereas this deal is for MEDIUM range MPAs. What may be confusing is the fact the P-8 is also participating in this tender albeit in a "diet" form. The "diet" P-8 will not have as many advanced features as the P-8I which is the most advanced MPA on earth BAR NONE- but it's not meant to be.

The purpose of this tender is more coastal protection whereas the P-8I is a long range patrol a/c designed to deal with the whole spectrum of threats from subs to surface hostiles (this is likely to focus far less on ASW capability).

Bl[i]tZ;2637385 said:
The Defense Acquisitions Council of the Ministry of Defense has accepted the necessity for procuring nine Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) aircraft for the Indian Navy. The Acceptance of Necessity (AON) this week came after the evaluation of data provided by vendors in response to the Request for Information (RFI) issued almost exactly a year back....

My choice would be:

1) EMB 145 MPA with DRDO systems, for more commonality and indigenous developments (+ EMB 145 DRDO AWACS for the shorebased AWACS requirement)

2) More fully capable P8Is and no silly diet versions

3) A cost-effective turbo prop solution

i wonder if the diet P8 will be a part of this tender.
Yes it is...Boeing is after this badly.

8 P-8I cost us around $2.1 billion, so if we were to buy 9 that wouldn't be 2.5 times of $1 billion.
Its simple the smaller version of this P8 cost is not decided yet. Boeing has decided to go for a smaller platform. So the expensive Boeing 737 platform will not be used, that itself will reduce the cost.

Cost of Airbus for IAF refueler tanker was estimated at $150 million a piece. (this will be around 1.5 time os $1 billion)
First of all i think A319 MPA might not cut in this as it is in the long range category i.e. in the league of P8i Neptune but if it does make in this yeah it will be expensive, the platform itself cost around 60-70 million $.

I think Boeing again stand a chance here...I hope Boeing will be able to reduce the price as the number of these aircraft will definitely rise from 9.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as cost effectiveness is concerned then my favorite will be ATR 72 MPA followed by Q400 MPA and in turbofan EMB-145 MPA. We can chose these cheaper platform and put systems in that from across the globe and make a MKI version. We can do this on both ATR and EMB platform.

Its simple the smaller version of this P8 cost is not decided yet. Boeing has decided to go for a smaller platform. So the expensive Boeing 737 platform will not be used, that itself will reduce the cost.

That's not correct mate, it's the same 737, but less capable:

...Company sources told StratPost that even though the derivative proposed for the MRMR RFI will look the same as the P-8I and be based on the 737 platform, it will have smaller tanks and a shorter range and will only have surface warfare capability. The P-8I is capable of both surface as well as sub-surface warfare...

Boeing to pitch 'diet' P-8 to Indian Navy | StratPost

That's not correct mate, it's the same 737, but less capable:
No just a couple months back the news came, Boeing is gonna change the platform to reduce cost for overseas sales. They have started to think after US and Indian deals.

Back
Top Bottom