What's new

MMRCA deal gets bigger extra 63 fighters to be added to 126 ...

Tumba

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Biggest deal: IAF may buy 189 jets for $20bn - The Times of India

Biggest deal: IAF may buy 189 jets for $20bn

NEW DELHI: The "mother" could well become the "granny" of all defence deals in the years ahead. India is likely to go in for another 63 fighters after delivery of the first 126 MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) if the "timelines" for its other fighter development projects are not met, say top defence officials.

When the MMRCA selection process was initiated by the defence ministry in mid-2007, the overall project cost was pegged at Rs 42,000 crore, or $10.4 billion for 126 fighters. But it will zoom well beyond $20 billion, if India eventually decides to opt for 189 jets since inflation is also being factored in. Even with 126 jets, this is the biggest such fighter contract going around the world as of now.

This comes even as MoD is all set to open the commercial bids of the two jets left in the MMRCA fray -French Rafale and Eurofighter Typhoon -"within a week or two". Eurofighter Typhoon is backed by the UK, Germany, Spain and Italy,

MoD has already rejected "any scope for comeback" by the other four jets, including the American F/A-18s and F-16s, ejected out of the MMRCA race in April on technical grounds after gruelling field trials.

"We are looking for only 126 fighters. The first 18 jets will come from abroad, while the rest 108 will be manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd after transfer of technology (ToT) from end-2016 or early-2017 onwards," said a senior MoD official on Monday.

"But yes, if the timelines for the Tejas LCA (light combat aircraft) and the stealth Indo-Russian FGFA (fifth-generation fighter aircraft) projects are not met, we will go for more MMRCA to retain IAF's combat edge," he added.

Apart from progressively inducting 272 Sukhoi-30MKIs contracted from Russia for around $12 billion, IAF is slated to induct the first lot of 120 indigenous Tejas from end-2013 onwards. India also hopes to begin inducting 250 to 300 FGFA from 2020 onwards under the joint project with Russia, which rough calculations show will eventually cost India around $35 billion in the decades ahead.

But that is in the future. The request for proposal (RFP) for the ongoing MMRCA competition, issued in August 2007, did have the standard clause of India reserving the option to go in for 50% more fighters, over and above the initial 126, in the coming years.

This, however, is the first time that top defence officials have directly linked the progress in the LCA and FGFA projects to the possibility of exceeding the MMRCA acquisition beyond the first 126 jets.

"Commercial bids of Eurofighter and Rafale will soon be opened, with the reports of the Technical Oversight Committee (TOC) and Technical Offsets Evaluation Committee (TOEC) virtually complete now," said another official.

But it will not be "a cut-and-dried" affair to determine the lowest bidder (L-1). "Calculation of L-1 will take around a month due to the huge amounts of mathematical and data verification of the lifecycle costs of operating the jets over a 40-year period, with 6,000 hours of flying, as well as cost of ToT," he added.

Final commercial negotiations with the L-1 vendor will then begin before the contract is ready for signing by December or January. IAF, on its part, wants deliveries of the 126 fighters to begin from December, 2014, onwards to stem its fast-eroding combat edge. Plans have already been firmed up to base the first MMRCA squadron at Ambala, with subsequent squadrons coming up both in the western and eastern theatres.

nothing surprising
as expected,why would anyone give TOT numbers could be much higher then 126

now we should sign Rafale ASAP so that first batch can be delivered within 3years

Well that was obvious seeing the hard work that Rafy and EFT are doing. Now the real question is to whom the order will go.. But whichever vender gets the deal, it will be like a lifeline to that jet. :cheers:

looking at the resent expensive precurments by defence forces , i do not see money is a fector any more ...

If they are reffering to the timelines of other jets then, i am sure there will be some delay from FGFA side. So another 63 is not an impossible thing..

But interesting part is this..

Apart from progressively inducting 272 Sukhoi-30MKIs contracted from Russia for around $12 billion, IAF is slated to induct the first lot of 120 indigenous Tejas from end-2013 onwards.

according to my analysis -
1. Either LCA will be taken as an excuse to induct more MRCA, if there is a delay.
2. If there is no delay then 120 LCA MK2 will be inducted.

Good news!!!

Sorry if someone donot like it, but for GOD's sake stop labeling this deal as the Mother of all deal or the biggest deal of this century, because it is simply not the case. There are defence deal bigger in amount and size. The biggest deal of this century's title can only be given to F35's almost 400billion $ acquisitions. the second that comes to my mind is Saudi's 60billion $ deal.

2ndly at induction time that is given above for MRCA is 2016 or 2017 onwards, i thought it was 2013.

Sorry if someone donot like it, but for GOD's sake stop labeling this deal as the Mother of all deal or the biggest deal of this century, because it is simply not the case. There are defence deal bigger in amount and size. The biggest deal of this century's title can only be given to F35's almost 400billion $ acquisitions. the second that comes to my mind is Saudi's 60billion $ deal.

2ndly at induction time that is given above for MRCA is 2016 or 2017 onwards, i thought it was 2013.

i kinda agree with you!
off-topic:
another similiar deal is calling india's mig-21 as "flying-coffins" and saying IAF has the worst crash record in te world.its not true. usaf alone lost lost more than 500 super sabres!

You are right about there being bigger deals. But thats not for another few years. These guys have targets to fulfil and have to justify the cost of keeping their production lines open. From that point of view, this is for those sales guys the mother of all deals.
The first 18 planes from abroad will come in a fly away condition 2013 onwards. 2016-17 is the time line to complete the Tot and begin production of the remaining planes at the HAL facility in India.

Let me tell you why its the mother of all deals:

1. In no other deal 6 best planes in teh world were tested to the tiniest of details.
2. In no other deal such level of off set is involved, 50%!!!??
3. In no other deal you wil have aviation complexes saying they are so keen to get as India is poised to have a $100 billion market in next 20 years.
4. In no other deal you will find the Level of TOT is being asked and offered, with US trying to let go of some very important techs to a country, which it banned for defence exports post a NEUCLEAR TEST!!!!!....
5. In no other deals you can see companies willing to move theie PRODUCTION lines to the destination country!!..
6. In no other deal the US fighters were kicked out (systematically) for not being compliant :lol: and a deal that even USA couldnt influence!!!.

Last but no the least.
In no other deal you have so much a GEO-POLITICS attached to it...Because its not just a defence deal with a country. Its a country's defence market that they want for a deal, INDIA???..The biggest market??...

Its always not about money honey...

Regards
Dash

What a BS????

126 for $10.6bn,,,,,,,, more 63 for another $10bn(approx), even we would be having TOT already!!!!
First 126 planes expected to induct till 2018, Till another 63 will complete induction 4++ fighters will be obsolete till then
Waste of money!!!

So,the +63's are a fail safe mechanism i.e,if Tejas/FGFA are not on time?!
Good move to increase the confidence of HAL:hitwall:.
But this is good thinking by the IAF top brass.They are a few years late when compared to the IN but "better late than never"!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom