What's new

misfortune of Pakistan - Why are we beggers ?

Pakistan should forever live on foreign aid, these American are not giving away $$$$$ watchout for more blackwaters..ur being shackled by the foreign aid

Pakistan does not need foreign aid....its just that the corrupt leaders of Pakistan are not utilizing its resources, mixed with poor economic policies have resulted in Pakistan in what it is today....its has simple as that.

Pakistan has many Billionaires yet theses fools have failed to help there country....I don't know why....maybe becuase of greed...who knows.

Any right thinking Pakistani should be very worried and concerned at the state of affairs right now. unfortunately, most internet warriors look for scape goats (India being the obvious one, and lately US, CIA/RAW/Mossad). All these may have contributed to Pakistan's decline, but they would have only exploited weaknesses that existed.

the question to be asked is, what are the contributing factors to those weaknesses, and what has Pakistan as a nation done to address them- to an outsider, the answer is that they have done precious little.

You only need to look east for inspiration (if you can shed your bias)- Not too long back, early 1990s I think, when I was studying economics at the Naitonal Univ. of singapore, we read about India facing a balance of payments crises and their Finance Minister pledging their gold reserves to the bank of england to tide over the crises. It seems that hte Indian political class took some sort of a pledge to never let that happen, and see where they are today- among the top 5 economies of the world, in a short span of two deades.

Pakistan can achieve the same- the fundamentals are all there, it just needs some tough decisions and teh werewithal to follow up on those decisions.

If for that democracy needs to be sacrificed and the country run by someone in the mould of lee Kwan Yew, so be it.

We are capable enough to watchout for blackwater you need not worried

Well, There are unmanned stuffs flying from your own land, killing your own people. Your government just groans and no one listens. You need to watchout for that as well.

Okay maybe you are right..as you are more knowledgable than me....however where have the Oversea Pakistani been in the last 60 years of Pakistan. I can understand Mr 10% as that guy has scared investors from Pakistan....however what about before him.....this is where oversea Pakistani's have failed.

For last 60 years the country has been on an off the hands of looters. Its a tic tac toe game of PPP and PMLN. Both of them looters so the qualified people rush abroad for better jobs. Leaving behind the uneducated who couldn't afford going anywhere else but madrasas and be radicalized. Only during Mush era situation improved significantly but appears to be reverse gear once again. The landlords of Pakistan have the biggest hand in keeping public ignorant to nobody challenges their rule.

What made them think of us as adversary. They were one since eternity.

Only this religion bound hate and intolerance for us made them think us as adversaries. We do not have a shared mindset of hate, intolerance here in India. otherwise instead of growing at 9% we would also have been doing some charity trips here and there for foreign aid and blowing up our neighbors high-commission in third countries, twice.

Almost everything. From duplicity politics of Ghandi and Nehru to annexation of Kashmir, betrayal by mount batten and general gracy. Creation and support of ultra nationalist separatist party in east Pakistan leading to subsequent tear down. Support of terrorist elements inside Pakistan.

. and still India is progressing. Not as well as it would like to but today is in a position to stand on its own feet.

Why bring India to the Thread...its got nothing to do with why Pakistan is in this situation....I think you need to take a chill pill.....and stick to the topic instead of taking pot shots at your Neighbour....I suggest you make another thread on the Indian Economy.

Because:
1) we were largely poor when created and had to rely on landlords for continuation of agriculture. The state had no funds. Also India annexed the Pakistani share of treasury which means desperate Pakistan had to woo fleeing princes of India who would look into parting their wealth with Pakistan for a safe passage rather lose it all to India.

2. Many under domination of Pakistan were tribal warlords not willing to accede unless their thrones were guaranteed. This would have created a dangerous situation back in 1947 if provoked. However we are suffering its blow 62 years later as terrorists are striking everywhere. But in 1947 it would have led to our balkanization once again.

The overseas Pakistanis are willing to comeback and invest in their home country if opportunities are provided and 10% zardari tax is not enforced. During Mushraff era many did come back but with arrival of democracy many fled back to Canada and Dubai. Viva le democracy. The institutions are weak because of rapid brain drain leaving behind incompetent people to loot. The rise military has political elite and collapse of democracy has contributed a lot to destruction of Pakistan. There was a time and need for military dictatorship but their marriage with mullahs and artificially created politicians have total destroyed the fabric of Pak politics. Sometimes it feels that Hillary is right in taking a stick to Pak for fixing its mess and limiting the military.

Please don't quote that ridiculous outlet of propaganda called Indian media. We are glad we are much better off with what we have ignoring Geo which is in wedlock with ToI and Aman ke Asha so naturally influences will flow.

Ref the highlighted part, all this was applicable to India as well in 47.Things have to change with time. We are not in 1947 any more. The reasons for status quo are not those what you have mentioned. This subject has been discussed on this forum in the past.

Lastly, the quotation mentioned in my signature below is worth reading , it is relevant here.

Why bring India to the Thread...its got nothing to do with why Pakistan is in this situation....I think you need to take a chill pill.....and stick to the topic instead of taking pot shots at your Neighbour....I suggest you make another thread on the Indian Economy.

Check the context in which it was written .

Well Pakistani People are responsible - Absolutely.Musharraf developed economy and we did not take a single penny from IMF during his time but nevertheless people still made him go out of office and now we have thugs in public office enjoy the show!Besides Mullahs are major hurdle to development.We need to kill all Mullahs who think modernization is haram.Also we never had pure land reforms like India.I think the writ of GOP is too weak to collect taxes etc therefore we need strict enforcement but what can we do when politicians themselves break rules.Musharraf doubled our GDP from 95 billion to 165 billion dollars but people still pushed him out because he was supposedly dictator.Pakistani people dont give a *** *** about Economy.I would avoid Indian Trolls here.They always want to take a digg whenever they want to.What Pakistan need is
Authoritarian Government like Chinese Government which can shove a stick up the *** of people who don't pay taxes and break laws and which can of course implement land reforms and use force if necessary.

Last edited:
For last 60 years the country has been on an off the hands of looters. Its a tic tac toe game of PPP and PMLN. Both of them looters so the qualified people rush abroad for better jobs. Leaving behind the uneducated who couldn't afford going anywhere else but madrasas and be radicalized.

Yes you are right....however then its the people's fault in electing both the PPP and the PMLM. Pakistan may have been looted in the last 60 years....however many of the Oversea Pakistani's who have been in countries such as Britain since the 50s could have changed that. India had the same corruption just like Pakistan and had a feudal system but it used it brain and abolished such a thing, in which Pakistan failed.

What Pakistan need is
Authoritarian Government like Chinese Government which can shove a stick up the *** of people who don't pay taxes and break laws.

If you seriously think that there is no corruption in China, all I will say is that please try to do business with a company in china- I guarantee you that you will change your views in a very short span of time.

no offence to chinese members all I am trying to say is that no country in this world is devoid of corruption, it exists, only at different levels.

Only during Mush era situation improved significantly but appears to be reverse gear once again. The landlords of Pakistan have the biggest hand in keeping public ignorant to nobody challenges their rule.

Mushy was good for Pakistan...however he still did not tackle the landlords of Pakistan, which in my opinion was his downfall. The reason was because if memory serves me right, the lawyers movement was having a deep impact on Mushy's rule...however at the same time food prices were being hiked up. The reason why because many of the Landlords have a monopoly hold on such commodities and they support either the PPP or the PMLN. As a result people began to go against Mushy. But at least he tried that is what counts....better than nothing I suppose.

Yes Musharraf did make a mistake in 1999 when he came in.He was way too powerful the whole country backed him.Literally everyone except for few hardcore PML Supporters liked Musharraf.In fact i'd go as far as to say Musharraf was one of the most popular dictators Pakistan had but he did not tackle with Landlods during that time.I wish SC would have given him just few more years as a pure CEO rather then fake democracy he had to setup.We would have been in much better condition.

Also the question rises...why has Pakistan not utilized non of its resources.....it is truly pathetic, that it has huge coal reserves, Gold and other minerals...yet it is going to the IMF......which in Islam is bad because interest was disliked by the Holy Prophet (Peace be upon him).

Pakistan also has a huge potential in the IT sector....in fact even though India is the world's leading operator of call centres....if a Pakistani decided to open one....its 30% more cheaper, and the reason why I know this is because a friend of my family done research on it...and this was back in 2007. However things have changed Pakistan has a electricity shortage and political unrest...which has contributed in the failure of this sector.

Last edited:
If reasons for the misfortune were to be put in bullet points...

1) Feudalism. Few people hold large swathes of land.
2) Lack of Tax collection - few rich elites pay taxes despite having huge proportion of national wealth
3) Very weak industries and lack of supporting infrastructure (power, roads, rails etc)
4) Corruption
5) Constant insecurity and instability due to terror attacks and flight of investment
6) High illiteracy
7) High defense expenditure (From 1988-98 it was 4-7% of GDP - source SIPRI Publications)

Back
Top Bottom