What's new

Military Helicopters in Pak use

i am waiting sir!
specially i would love to listen about the UH-1H, they have seen a lot of action in operation Rah-e-Rast i guess!
how many of them do we actually have. Wikipedia claim the number to be 10 in active service!
also sir kindly try to bring some information what which version do we use for all these helicopter, specially the AS550!!

thanks,
regards!

Well the thing is that Pakistan Army Aviation is phasing out the BELL UH-1H huey's and bringing in the latest Bell-412's as a replacement. The few UH-1H's that we have are being used by various Government sectors such as the Ministry of Interior etc. Not saying that the Army isn't using the Huey at all, just that they're phasing them out as it's an aging helicopter.

I will definitely bring as much information as I can when I visit the Aviation Base Multan in a few days. For now, if you're interested, please take a look at one of my post to understand which helicopter is being used for what purpose in our Aviation fleet.

Here's the thread: http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-aviation/25048-paf-pa-helicopters.html

And here's the post: http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-aviation/25048-paf-pa-helicopters.html#post351903

As far as Rah-e-Raast is concerned, We've mainly used the Bell-412's as the front line workhorse for the army, providing air support with door-mounted MG-3's along with bringing in troops, ammo and medicine to the conflict zones. UH-1H Huey hasn't seen much action because of the reason I mentioned. And we all know what the MI-17's and AH-1 Cobra's were being used for, so nothing new there.

Last edited:
I will post the exact number of helicopters in service with the Army Aviation within a week.

Yes Sir,
I know you can tell the exact figures and current and future deals.

^ Can it fire Hellfire..?

The AH-1Z can, I like it better then the Apache myself. It can also use the longbow radar.

56b36539a9b130ef25e7bc1de48f709c.jpg

Last edited:
Well the thing is that Pakistan Army Aviation is phasing out the BELL UH-1H huey's and bringing in the latest Bell-412's as a replacement. The few UH-1H's that we have are being used by various Government sectors such as the Ministry of Interior etc. Not saying that the Army isn't using the Huey at all, just that they're phasing them out as it's an aging helicopter.

Pakistan Army is using Augusta Bell (now Augusta Westland) AB-205, a version of UH-1H, developed by Italy. Some helos are decommissioned but some are still in flying status. 6 Aviation Squadron based at Islamabad Heliport is using UH-1H/AB-205, Bell 412s and AW1399newly acquired). Sometimes back, USA has transferred certain numbers of UH-1H/Huey II (fitted with Cobra's engine). They are now used by Army.

An interesting and confirmed news, Pakistan is getting a dozen Super Pumas form UAE, (ex UAE AirForce)

Military Helicopters used by Pak Army

Eurocopter Tiger Attack Helicopter ....18 Being Inducted (2009-10)
AH-1S Cobra Attack Helicopter 18 In Service,
AH-1F Cobra Attack Helicopter 20 In Service,

Pakistan got 20 AH-1F (earlier called AH-1S MC, where MC stands for Modernised Cobra), in 80s during Gen Zia's regime, as USA's program to arm Pakistan against Soviet aggression. In 2007, Pakistan got 12 more Cobras, as refurbished, from USA as an Allie to America.

Mil Mi-17 Transport Helicopter 90

Bell 407 Light Transport Helicopter 45

Pakistan has purchased around 60-70 MI17 helos from Ukraine and Russia, over the years, with first MI-17 inducted in 1992. There are no Bell 407 in use of Army, rather Bell 206 BII/III Jet Rangers are used.

Eurocopter AS-550 Light Transport Helicopter 50 (Replacing Alouette III & Lama )

Aérospatiale Alouette III Light Transport Helicopter 40 (Being phased out)

Aérospatiale SA-315B Lama Light Transport Helicopter 40 (variant of
Aerospatiale Alouette II Being phased out)

The total inventory seems 350+.

Army has 10-12 AS350 B3 Equirels. AS 550 Fennec are still under negotiation/ procurement, and no final word on it. These helos are offered as replacement of Tigers by France.

So the fleet looks like
AH-1F-------------->32
Pumas-------------->25
AS 315/316-------->20
(Allouette/Lama)
Bell 412------------->25
MI-17--------------->60
Jet Ranger---------->20
UH-1H-------------->15-20
Equirel--------------->12
Schwizer 269C------>30
(for training)
Total--------------->>> around 250 helos??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom